Discussion How Will Jumpers Evolve In The Future?

Hi guys,

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had here about where jumpers go next in history.
We've seen them evolve from lace-ups to wool to where they are now.

What do you think they'll be made of next, will we print them differently?
Does the current set up stay or will we see collars used for more sponsorship?

I think it was Stewart2Austin who first said that the inside of collars will be the next step and it has gone in that direction so will we see shorts or socks get used?

So will we see any changes in the next 20 years to jumpers or have we got to where we need to go?

Cheers,
TLL.

(Sorry if the OP is brief I'm doing it off my phone)

Maxwell110

Premiership Player
May 29, 2011
batcave
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
sc freiburg
Wouldn't be surprised to see short sleeved jumpers experimented with. It will likely be a failed experiment though.

Perhaps a larger front sponsor similar to the NRL and soccer teams.

Over the coming years I expect there will be a large amount of one-offs similar to the past couple (ANZAC, indigenous, multicultural, throwbacks, names jumpers, charity) and then they'll scale it all back to almost no one-offs and we'll continue to complain about how we want heritage round back.

I'm not too sure on the materials and such. Perhaps changes in the materials to be tighter and more slippery. Hopefully the return of the Essendon(?) one-piece.

Also, wouldn't be surprised to see guernseys have the gripping and such that rugby jerseys seem to have these days. Gotta wonder if they'll ever experiment with longer shorts/shorter socks too.

Maxwell110

Premiership Player
May 29, 2011
batcave
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
sc freiburg
Never heard of this...
YqMJhQo.jpg

Just hope this won't happen in the future.
nate-quarry-shirt.jpg

Worst you'd ever see would be something like what NRL jerseys have, I reckon.

Advertising on socks is hardly the worst thing ever- but I'd rather see it as an actual part of the sock (same way the Nike or Adidas logo is fabricated as part of football sock). Perhaps on the back across the calf would be a good spot, for instance.

Also you'll never see MMA style advertising because in MMA, those shorts are the only premium sponsorship real-estate. In AFL they have entire kits with two sponsors on the jumper and one on the shorts, plus apparel sponsor, PLUS the league itself. (Which is the exact amount of individual sponsors on the shorts)

Back