How would you fix the yips?

So what, we shouldn't point out needed improvements and offer honest opinions because it isn't showing appreciation or gratitude? Strange post. We're allowed to discuss both positives and negatives on a forum. Things have been going well, but I understand when people get frustrated by players butchering shots that you'd expect a professional footballer to make.

Are you reading the minds of our forwards or something? I think this analysis of their psychology is pretty speculative unless you're an insider.

He isn't, actually.

View attachment 947212

So he fell out last round?

The point still stands.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So what, we shouldn't point out needed improvements and offer honest opinions because it isn't showing appreciation or gratitude? Strange post. We're allowed to discuss both positives and negatives on a forum. Things have been going well, but I understand when people get frustrated by players butchering shots that you'd expect a professional footballer to make.

Are you reading the minds of our forwards or something? I think this analysis of their psychology is pretty speculative unless you're an insider.

He isn't, actually.

View attachment 947212
Um no-one is going to read that and think it is actual psychological analysis. Seriously. Nevermind I'm clearly in the wrong place

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Thats 100 % my point. Stats & obvious performance measures are considered "a bit of fluff" & no matter how much obvious fact is put in front of some, it has zero influence in continuing the baggings.
I doubt you noticed the block Hippy put of his opponent to allow Callum to take that great mark right near the goals? In the review after the game, that was acknowledged as one of the team efforts that continually occur.
Curious how you know what’s said in the review?

A section in this article caught my eye. Could be another answer to our kicking yips that goes beyond routine and kicking action. I wonder if we have a program like this for our players.

The third-year Saint credits the club's increased emphasis on mindfulness in delivering added confidence and belief he has what it takes to succeed at the top level.

Saints head of mental health and wellbeing Ben Robbins, who played 92 games for the Brisbane Bears, Lions and North Melbourne, crossed from the Roos ahead of this season.

"The mental side of things has been the biggest thing, (having) the belief you're good enough to play AFL footy and just trying to believe you can do it," Paton said. Our psychologist Benny Robbins has been awesome for us.

"He works with us every week, you can do stuff with him individually, but as a group he's been really good thing in the mental side of the game and it's probably what separates players and teams now. I do my own stuff (as well) to try and get the best out of myself."

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
A section in this article caught my eye. Could be another answer to our kicking yips that goes beyond routine and kicking action. I wonder if we have a program like this for our players.

The third-year Saint credits the club's increased emphasis on mindfulness in delivering added confidence and belief he has what it takes to succeed at the top level.

Saints head of mental health and wellbeing Ben Robbins, who played 92 games for the Brisbane Bears, Lions and North Melbourne, crossed from the Roos ahead of this season.

"The mental side of things has been the biggest thing, (having) the belief you're good enough to play AFL footy and just trying to believe you can do it," Paton said. Our psychologist Benny Robbins has been awesome for us.

"He works with us every week, you can do stuff with him individually, but as a group he's been really good thing in the mental side of the game and it's probably what separates players and teams now. I do my own stuff (as well) to try and get the best out of myself."
A dogged little player was Benny in the #28 jersey.

The difference between this year and last is that other teams have worked out our play and are shutting down our avenue to goal making us take those harder shots.

The option to change the style of our play would be the one that leads us to recruit an 'old fashioned' big forward. Not sure I like this idea cause when we are on our current play great to watch.

PillyBilgrim

Rookie
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The difference between this year and last is that other teams have worked out our play and are shutting down our avenue to goal making us take those harder shots.

The option to change the style of our play would be the one that leads us to recruit an 'old fashioned' big forward. Not sure I like this idea cause when we are on our current play great to watch.

I don't think that's the whole difference personally, although certainly teams are more familiar with our style of play this year. And it does feel like we're not getting the cheap out-the-back goals as much.

The article suggests we're missing more as a result of our gamestyle than the difficulty of shots.

Bringing in a solid key forward would only provide another avenue to scoring, can't see it impacting our watchability or gamestyle too much - just need to find the right forward who suits our play.

It's easy to forget we have lost twice since the season properly started - teams may have become accustomed to our style but it's still beating them and making us the highest scoring team in the League (minus Geelong who are keeping the seat warm for us until we convert more scores into goals).

I don't think that's the whole difference personally, although certainly teams are more familiar with our style of play this year. And it does feel like we're not getting the cheap out-the-back goals as much.

The article suggests we're missing more as a result of our gamestyle than the difficulty of shots.

Bringing in a solid key forward would only provide another avenue to scoring, can't see it impacting our watchability or gamestyle too much - just need to find the right forward who suits our play.

I think you make a good point regarding goals out the back. It wasn't really our main scoring Avenue last year (minus Charlie who would run it into the goal square with his pace), but think it's probably something we should try and do more of. One issue I've had with some of our mids is that they've taken shots from 40 out despite having players open. If we put a higher focus on getting the footy to a player in a better position, our conversion will climb back up.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't buy this harder shots at goal this year story.

A lot of the shots we've missed lately have been easily gettable.

For whatever reason our set shots at goal and our snaps when clear have been woeful . Unsurprisingly we seem to kick a few really hard ones.

I'm prepared to think it's just an anomaly unless it keeps going on like this.

The pressure seems to have built in the last few weeks and in the last 3 weeks particularly some of our guys couldn't hit the back of a barn.

With a week's rest and a good start this week you'd hope the confidence will kick back in. Because that's what it is.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Another good article, more about gamestyle etc.

Make sure they are practicing with new balls.

It seems to me our goal kicking is at it’s worst at the start of a game. I always found the new ball came off the boot differently and dreaded a set shot early in a game.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Make sure they are practicing with new balls.

It seems to me our goal kicking is at it’s worst at the start of a game. I always found the new ball came off the boot differently and dreaded a set shot early in a game.
And is the reason why West Coast have their game day balls well and truly kicked in before the start of games.

I have NFI what the protocol is for game day balls, other than the home club provides them, but as to how used they are, I couldn't answer that.

Hire Akermanis as the goal kicking coach.
The most likely scenario there would be him cracking the shits that people can't just do what he used to. :D

If he was able to teach it, why weren't all our guys kicking like him back when he was in the team?

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A set up like this would be good for set shots I reckon,

BUMP

OMFG Bryson DeChambeau just won the US open, there must be a lot more to this 3D capture stuff than first thought. Would love to see our club embrace this technology on kicking accurate, long drop punts for our wayward forwards!

Back