Food & Drink Hunter Valley Recommendations

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's a few nice places to go for healthy food that won't break the bank? Around $20-25 mains. No pubs. Yes contrary to Swansrule100's belief I do things with a budget too.

Also, where is the local IGA there, is it close?

How many vineyards would you want to fit in per day without rushing?

How many vineyard tours would you bother doing?

Any other recommendations outside of vineyards? Already been to Barrington Tops (and loved it.)

Syd Kapanis brad cooper

Small grocer on Wine Country Road (before Broke Road) but best IGA/supermarket is in Cessnock itself.

Worth stocking up on your run in as its a pain to go back and forth afterwards.

Already mentioned but no cheap eats there. The Irish Pub probably cheapest but nothing special imo.

May be mid week/winter specials I'm not aware of though.

Great region vonn . I haven't been for ages and ages but have been drinking a lot more Hunter stuff recently.

First & foremost I'd recommend Bicknell fc (Oakridge guru David Bicknell). Never been & not sure if there's tastings but have had some Pinot & it is out of this world good IMO. They only do Chardy & PNoir.

There's obviously the bigger guys Brokenwood, Peppertree, Tyrrell's, Tulloch...

Also Tintilla Estate, Lakes Folly, Gundog Estate, First Creek, Bimbadgen. All make great drops.

Probably the best named are Ghost Riders Vineyard & Cockfighter's Ghost. You should go to these and take some photos for me so I can decide if I want to go or not too.

Enjoy! :thumbsu:

Great region vonn . I haven't been for ages and ages but have been drinking a lot more Hunter stuff recently.

First & foremost I'd recommend Bicknell fc (Oakridge guru David Bicknell). Never been & not sure if there's tastings but have had some Pinot & it is out of this world good IMO. They only do Chardy & PNoir.

There's obviously the bigger guys Brokenwood, Peppertree, Tyrrell's, Tulloch...

Also Tintilla Estate, Lakes Folly, Gundog Estate, First Creek, Bimbadgen. All make great drops.

Probably the best named are Ghost Riders Vineyard & Cockfighter's Ghost. You should go to these and take some photos for me so I can decide if I want to go or not too.

Enjoy! :thumbsu:

I'll shoot you a link with photos etc when I get them up on my OneDrive after I go. Thanks for the suggestions too! I will check them all out. There for 5 days.

Any of you went to the HV Garden? On one hand, memories. On the other hand, overpriced.

I'll shoot you a link with photos etc when I get them up on my OneDrive after I go. Thanks for the suggestions too! I will check them all out. There for 5 days.

Any of you went to the HV Garden? On one hand, memories. On the other hand, overpriced.

A few times at the Gardens
Nice xmas lights when they are up and spring flowers if you're into that.

I'm into drinking red wine by an open fire in autumn myself....

I am obsessed with organisation, so I made this itinerary factoring in the best suggestions according to TripAdvisor and what you guys said. I thought this may help anyone going in the future because this plan is designed to minimise travel and take into account Cellar closures/openings. This is also the most efficient travel combinations I could make, enjoy.

upload_2016-6-27_20-30-13.png

Last edited:
Given that you're there for the whole week you may get sick of wineries after a while... after a day or two you might want to do something else. Maybe keep a morning free for a leisurely brunch?

Other things you could do: Lovedale smokehouse, smelly cheese shop, Binnorie dairy, art galleries, day spas, hot air ballooning... go to winecountry.com.au it's pretty comprehensive.

Given that you're there for the whole week you may get sick of wineries after a while... after a day or two you might want to do something else. Maybe keep a morning free for a leisurely brunch?

Other things you could do: Lovedale smokehouse, smelly cheese shop, Binnorie dairy, art galleries, day spas, hot air ballooning... go to winecountry.com.au it's pretty comprehensive.

Sick of wineries, it's like you've never met me RW ;)

Sick of wineries, it's like you've never met me RW ;)

I haven't given up on teaching you all to live life in moderation like me ;)

I haven't given up on teaching you all to live life in moderation like me ;)

I'm probably going to switch up and chuck in the Maitland Goal in there (30 minute trip) instead of two wineries on the last day so I'm not driving over the limit too hahaha. Shank you for giving me a non-alcoholic's perspective on how much wine people like to drink :p

EDIT: Updated for Non-Alcholic's Perspective.

upload_2016-6-28_11-16-17.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw vonn posted in the game day thread about being home ill today- not from alcohol poisoning I hope??

I saw vonn posted in the game day thread about being home ill today- not from alcohol poisoning I hope??

Haha, understandable reaction ;). Not going until end of the month, but have fun today and cheer extra loud for me (at Luke)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back