Roast I Am Sick To Death Of People Bagging Maxwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

rhys_22

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know maxy has been having a shocker of a year. He is no where near his best.But i have to say i do get sick of other collingwood supporters bagging him.

The man is a captain of a premiership team for god sake.Have some respect.

Being a captain isn't just about how you play,but about how you lead the team.He is obviously a born leader,seems to get along with the players good,i mean they voted him in so he must be doing something right.

I love all of the other players too.I would like to see daisy or pendles captain one day,but in the mean time i think everyone should give maxy the respect he deserves.

Go pies!!!!!!:D:thumbsu:

So being captain of a Premiership gives him free reign to be s**t?

He shouldn't be given a free pass simply because he's captain. Ridiculous logic.

He may ell have been good and I'm sure a lot of people admire him for leading our beloved Pies to a Premiership last year but that doesn't excuse the fact that he has been playing like s**t recently. He's a good captain, yes, but his form has been crap lately. I think that is where people have their issue.

He was good last year, he deserves respect. But you call a spade a spade, and he's been terrible the entire year and the only reason he's not in the VFL is because he's the Captain, thats not disrespectful it's the truth. Maxwell won't be dropped but he'd want to be finding some form quick if he doesn't want to be a liability in finals.

He should be dropped though if he keeps up the form. We can't afford passengers, and we need to acknowledge mistakes if they are made.

Is it an internal error in not giving him a break or tried alternative measures to help him?

I don't know. I also don't think it's necessarily the captaincy that prevents him from being dropped, with how we've played over the last 2 years we'd be more inclined to give a little leeway to the experienced guys.

Even Cloke if he had a rough patch, Maxy, Didak (which we really have) etc. They've shown themselves to be hard workers, dedicated to the team and their individual performance and if they can balance their own ship then we should let them do it.

But there comes a time when you say enough is enough and you have to maintain the integrity of the team with selecting the 22 that goes out each week. I'd say injuries have been his saviour, and if it weren't for Brown being out he'd be in serious trouble.

Facts are facts though, and even his decision making has been poor in periods of late. So I love Maxy for what he does for the club and how he's played recently, but a bit of criticism (not outright bashing mind you) is warranted.

Good luck to him though in getting back to his best.

Maxwell is fine. Who do you suppose replace him? IF there is a player in our team that could take his spot then sure... but last time i counted we were missing 7 players with Keffee playing down forward.

It seems that some of you just want the best players as captains? Remember that premierships are won by leadership. We have it in spades through Maxwell. In my opinion no one can take that mantle off him. Not Pendles, not Harry, not Nathan Brown.

None of the "alternative" options you keep mentioning are in the same league of leadership as Maxwell.

He was good last year, he deserves respect. But you call a spade a spade, and he's been terrible the entire year and the only reason he's not in the VFL is because he's the Captain, thats not disrespectful it's the truth.

Come on now. Even with his poor form this year, he's still miles ahead of Goldsack who, on the rare occasion he comes near the ball, proceeds to fumble it. And that's his only logical replacement.

People talk as if stripping Maxwell of his captaincy would also strip him of his leadership. It wouldn't. He'd still be out there contributing lots to the team dynamic via his leadership skills, captain or not. And therefore wouldn't be dropped.

He should be dropped though if he keeps up the form. We can't afford passengers, and we need to acknowledge mistakes if they are made.

Is it an internal error in not giving him a break or tried alternative measures to help him?

I don't know. I also don't think it's necessarily the captaincy that prevents him from being dropped, with how we've played over the last 2 years we'd be more inclined to give a little leeway to the experienced guys.

Even Cloke if he had a rough patch, Maxy, Didak (which we really have) etc. They've shown themselves to be hard workers, dedicated to the team and their individual performance and if they can balance their own ship then we should let them do it.

But there comes a time when you say enough is enough and you have to maintain the integrity of the team with selecting the 22 that goes out each week. I'd say injuries have been his saviour, and if it weren't for Brown being out he'd be in serious trouble.

Facts are facts though, and even his decision making has been poor in periods of late. So I love Maxy for what he does for the club and how he's played recently, but a bit of criticism (not outright bashing mind you) is warranted.

Good luck to him though in getting back to his best.

I agree in principle that no team can afford passengers but if any one team can perhaps it is us. Especially as he is the Capt and bleeds for the club like few others and his onfield leadership can not be discounted.

But some form would be nice.

Not sure OP why we needed to create a new thread for this, when the same thing was being discussed in the Postmatch Thread.

In general, it's best to keep the debate or descussion all in the 'one room' rather than having parallel discussions going on in different areas.

Anyhow, for consideration when new threads are created...can thread creators always ask themselves is this a new topic or would it be better suited adding impetus to an existing related thread.

Also, if ever we try and archive the season, it would be good to have as much discussion in the Prematch, Matchday, and Postmatch Discussion Threads

Thanks guys and girls :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well its bigger than a "post match" issue. Its something that has been going on all year.

OP is spot on.

The way people attack the 22nd best player on any given day on this board is disgusting. Its never been the Collingwood way to name scapegoats..like Essendon or Richmond fans....but thats whats starting to happen. I'm starting to wonder whether its worth posting on this board.

I wish people would focus on the positives and keep their negative comments to a minimum, and try and avoid emotive language when they do so.

Maxwell nearly lost a kidney at the start of the year. He hasnt been the same since.

Well its bigger than a "post match" issue. Its something that has been going on all year.
OP is spot on.

I wish people would focus on the positives and keep their negative comments to a minimum, and try and avoid emotive language when they do so.

First point, yes, see your point.

Second one, agree with second half only.

I do think people should be 100% free to say stuff they think, they'll draw opposing balancing views...it's what makes it an interesting place.

But i also 100% agree with you Timmy, emotive language is best avoided, and attacking the poster in a personal way is something I'd be happy to see the back of.

I've backed Nick ever since he became captain, even though at the time he wasn't my number one choice.

But who could argue with his selection now, since taking over the captaincy, he almost single handedly lifted us out of the muck against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium in that final in 08, then he played a massive part in the comeback against them in that 09 final, and then last year, to put it simply;

WE WOULD HAVE LOST THE FIRST GRAND FINAL IF IT WASN'T FOR NICK MAXWELL.

His efforts in that last quarter were legendary, heroic and will go down in the history of this great football club as some of the greatest individual feats of leadership this club has ever seen.

He has struggled this year, of course he has, but hell, he was in hospital for a few days with a serious injury after that West Coast pre season match, and has had another setback since.

I compare to Didak, who have both struggled with form, mainly due to injury setbacks, but both have more then enough credits in the bank to be able to be allowed to play through their form slumps.

Maxwell actually played decent last night once he was moved forward, maybe in the absence of Dawes, Didak, Beams etc it might be a wise move to leave him there for a week or two to gain some confidence.

I unashamedly love the man, and I'll back him almost more then any other Collingwood player to perform when it counts, in September (and October;))

Edit: And yes, any personal attacks on any posters here, let alone on of our own should not be accepted. Criticise in a constructive manner, debate all you want, but don't got personal, we are all Pies fans, and we all want the best for this club after all.

maxwell has basically played the same footy his entire career.

taken you lot till now to realise he's a mug?

Im sorry, but he ain't a mug. He just hasn't been playing all the well. I believe he is one of the best spoilers in the game when at his best.

So being captain of a Premiership gives him free reign to be s**t?

He shouldn't be given a free pass simply because he's captain. Ridiculous logic.
I think most supporters get stuck in the moment without looking at just the tiniest bit of history.

Maxwell suffered a very severe injury at the start of the year, he missed 4 very important weeks which cannot be understated.
Many players would have missed many more weeks than four.

The toll on his body and mind is no doubt affecting his current form.

Like most immediate moments, it will pass

I think most supporters get stuck in the moment without looking at just the tiniest bit of history.

Maxwell suffered a very severe injury at the start of the year, he missed 4 very important weeks which cannot be understated.
Many players would have missed many more weeks than four.

The toll on his body and mind is no doubt affecting his current form.

Like most immediate moments, it will pass

Then why wasn't he eased back it's not like we were missing him at the time.

Always an excuse for his poor form.

Maxwell has always been that player. He is not tallanted, he just has a lot of heart. He is also a great leader and I wouldnt want anyone else at Collingwood to replace him as captain for a while because we dont have a player that could lead better then Maxwell, not even Pendles. However teams have worked him out this year and force him to play on a tall and he isnt a good man on man player, infact I rekon he is terible at that. he proved last year in the first GF that he is willing to step up for us and the last 5 minutes he was sensational and saved us. Overall, I dont think he is in the best 20 tallented players at the club but he has courage and plays with heart so thats enough to keep him captain of the club and a spot in the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back