Tonight I was suddenly enveloped in the magical possibilities ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
It may seem a rather silly thread title but I was struggling to express the feeling that came over me this evening when I was watching ( for the tenth time) our final quarter against the Blues in round 23. We are in another final series and we are not making up the numbers. We finished the year on top!

For a variety of reasons I have been flat and rather subdued these past 6 or 7 weeks. We've all been trapped in this eternal state of inertia since the Port game. Top two finish secured and nothing to do but endure and survive the last 6 or so games. Then because out intensity and form dipped so did the passion in the crowd. The media jumped in and fed into this malaise narrative by telling us we had fallen apart defensively and without Nick our chances of going all the way were very low.

But the week off brought some clarity. We saw how the red-hot Carton performed in just one game that didn't mean anything to their chances and they were putrid in the second half of the Giant's game. The media was very forgiving and almost called it entirely to be expected. Imagine having to deal with that mental hurdle for nigh on two months after being so intense and brilliant in the preceding 17 rounds.

I also had a look at the qualifying final and the first term of the Freo final (almost the forgotten final) and our intensity was electric. Suddenly I felt certain we would see the same manic, in your face approach this year. The shackles are off. It's all on the line.

My tummy suddenly had that deliciously knotted, tense yet desirable sensation of anticipation and terror which is such a part of being involved in a finals campaign. It's on again and we are in it up to our eyeballs!

Then the emotion kicked in and I thought of the possibility of winning and what that would mean for Fly and Pendles and so many others. The first hurdle is now only a few sleeps away and it's getting real. The dream is still a chance of becoming a reality. The army deserves this too. I think a win this year will overshadow both of our last two flags if our crowds and membership are anything to go by.

I will go to bed and dream up a number of different scenarios as to how we go about defeating Melbourne. They all bring out the goosebumps-that's how good my imagination is!

Please Pies. Make our dreams come true.

That's very sad to hear Markfs.

It's all a matter of perspective domie. Everyone got out......or maybe you were talking more about 66, 70 and 75....which were terrible years.

At any rate, I usually work on the theory of low expectations with the pies. I find thinking euphorically before the game doesn't help if we lose or win.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of perspective domie. Everyone got out......or maybe you were talking more about 66, 70 and 75....which were terrible years.

At any rate, I usually work on the theory of low expectations with the pies. I find thinking euphorically before the game doesn't help if we lose or win.
I've always enjoyed the dreaming while it's still a possibility, because I know, like you do, that the reality is we experience more heartbreak. So, dream and imagine away until the reality comes crashing in.

I meant the house!

66 and 70 were heart breakers but I was at the elimination final out at Waverley against Richmond in 75 when we lost by 4 points but don't put that in the same category. We were storming home in that game too.

I meant the house!

66 and 70 were heart breakers but I was at the elimination final out at Waverley against Richmond in 75 when we lost by 4 points but don't put that in the same category. We were storming home in that game too.

i made a boo boo...i should have said 77. i try to forget it all. i even forgot 64 when I was too young to realise that I would have to endure a life of pain if i stuck with the pies. And then the hafey years when i escaped victoria but couldnt escape the national telecast. oh, the pain, the pain....

I've always enjoyed the dreaming while it's still a possibility, because I know, like you do, that the reality is we experience more heartbreak. So, dream and imagine away until the reality comes crashing in.
I tell you my theory, domie, and I'm serious with this. The current generation of players can't stand the weight of previous failures. In fact, the previous generations couldnt.

So I dont dream or post anything positive because I dont want expectations to put more pressure on the players. They need to play the equivalent of bazball and that requires laughter in the face of possible failure...and you cant do that when you've got 100,000 pie fans riding on your back

i made a boo boo...i should have said 77. i try to forget it all. i even forgot 64 when I was too young to realise that I would have to endure a life of pain if i stuck with the pies. And then the hafey years when i escaped victoria but couldnt escape the national telecast. oh, the pain, the pain....
My pain started in 64. Dad sat me on his lap and made me watch Gabbo's famous run and then the final cruel moments on our small tv with the fuzzy black and white footage replayed that night. Much heartache followed. It's quite ridiculous if you really go into the details of the finals we have lost from unlosable positions or at least positions of great ascendancy (not just GF's). I suppose it's all part of the mystique of the Collingwood Football Club.

I tell you my theory, domie, and I'm serious with this. The current generation of players can't stand the weight of previous failures. In fact, the previous generations couldnt.

So I dont dream or post anything positive because I dont want expectations to put more pressure on the players. They need to play the equivalent of bazball and that requires laughter in the face of possible failure...and you cant do that when you've got 100,000 pie fans riding on your back

In that vein I found it a very "interesting" (maybe risky) tactic of Fly's to produce that flag where all the years we "let the flag slip" are represented. It'll either be too much information or perhaps it actually will make them dig deep that extra 1% to make sure it's not a repeat this time around. Hopefully it has the intended effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had him winning the GF for us last year with a big pack mark in the goal square with seconds remaining! That's a ripper. Josh Daicos doing something similar to his goal against Essendon last year would be a nice way for us to win the flag too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back