What questions do our team still need to answer ahead of finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

When will we play close to 4 quarters of footy again? Instead of getting by on a quarter or 2?
When will we hit our top form on the approach to finals?
Despite having the best percentage in the competition, would you guys agree that we still rarely go for the jugular when we can dominate opposition teams?
We lack killer instinct at times in my opinion.
I'm not as concerned as others with regards to our best 23 setup. It's our team getting into gear that concerns me the most.
We aren't there yet, but we have time.
This.

We need to choke out teams for a whole game. We often give up runs of 3, 4, 5, 6 goals unanswered to the opposition, whether they are good or not.

Against Fremantle, if we take out Q2 they beat us over the rest of the game. And that is an average / poor interstate team playing us on the MCG.

I think you need to look at players missing in those games. No Rucks against BNE and at the Gabba. MCG will be a different story.
Melb we’re at full strength and just missing Oliver - we had JDG, McStay and Howe out.
We were massively flattered by the scoreline against Melbourne. They kicked 18 behinds. They played 6-7 goals better than us on the day, but just couldn't get it through the middle.

This.

We need to choke out teams for a whole game. We often give up runs of 3, 4, 5, 6 goals unanswered to the opposition, whether they are good or not.

Against Fremantle, if we take out Q2 they beat us over the rest of the game. And that is an average / poor interstate team playing us on the MCG.
Collingwood control games. If they need to step up in Q3 or Q4 they do just that.
In finals you will see a different Collingwood. More ruthless

Melbourne and to a lesser extent Adelaide really got in our faces on defensive rebound. I hope we work out some methods to get around this, if clubs are overplaying our handball game from half back there needs to be other exits available

We have the best problem to deal with right now. What to do with all our players? Touch wood that all stay fit and healthy because if they do there are going to be a few blokes miss out on September action that simply do not deserve to miss out. It could be tough.
For me these are my areas to settle on. These are just my opinions, I may be wrong and it is ok if you disagree, I just don't care to hear about it...;)

1. Cox or Cameron but not both. I like Frampton as KPD & 2nd ruck possibility if needed and McStay up forward. Don't want to be top heavy.
2. Frampton in or out? - He should play as a key stopping defender who can 2nd ruck/fwd if he is not required down back. Dependent on opposition. I like him in the side. He is versatile.
3. Howe - Not sure if he is a lock. For me he is a bit wobbly one-on-one and some disposable is dodgy and he often loses his feet. If Frampton is down back, Moore & Murphy can intercept and do we then need Howe? Can he play forward??
4. Nick Daicos - Where to play him? I think as a permanent inside mid with JDG & two more which is either.......
5. Adams, Lipinski or Mitchell - Not sure if we need all three. After all, speed kills and these guys are lacking leg speed. Leaning toward Adams out which would be a bad move in the heart and soul department I think. So, again another tough one.
6. Hill and Markov to alternate as the sub. Speed off the bench every time would be juicy.
7. If only we could squeeze 7 or 8 on to the bench, it would solve all our problems!!! We can dream!

Melbourne and to a lesser extent Adelaide really got in our faces on defensive rebound. I hope we work out some methods to get around this, if clubs are overplaying our handball game from half back there needs to be other exits available
100% agree. Games against Port, Brisbane & Geelong in particular will tell us everything we need to know about our ability to combat frontal aggresssion from a Top 4 or 5 side. These three games are key to our flag tilt. We must win all of those in my view (drop one to Hawks or Dons if you must). Don't have to smack them but we need to show them who's boss in 2023. The finals are just around the corner and we will be playing all of them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Two true rucks, or one ruck and another tall forward? I'm leaning towards Cameron and Cox, meaning Johnson in my view is left out of the team.
2. Three tall backs or four? Moore and Murphy are certainties, and then it is either Frampton, Howe, or both. I think Frampton misses, and Howe plays third tall. His comeback game showed how valuable he is to our team, and I think he will be huge in the stretch home.
3. Who will be the sub? I think it needs to be someone with run, and so I think it will come down to Markov, Hill, WHE, and Lipinski, with one of these to be the 22nd man (and so two miss out). I am voting for Hill in the side, with Lipinski as the sub, but let's see.
4. Daicos mid or back. This one is over to be honest. He won't be moved out of the midfield rotation now until he is 32 years old.

• does Collingwood have specific game plan tweaks for each of the finals contenders? - would they utilise partially/fully now or wait until finals?
• is there a focus to be (more) balanced in scoring from turnover, centre bounce/stoppage, back half/defensive 50, front half/forward 50?

Most of the GF winners in the last 20 years or so (18/20 or 16/18 I think) have been top, or very close to top, in the scores from forward 50 stat. We are currently around #6 or #7. BUT, we are the leading team for scores from defensive 50.
So, the question we need to answer is "can we turn recent history on its head and find a totally new way to win a GF?"

Most of the GF winners in the last 20 years or so (18/20 or 16/18 I think) have been top, or very close to top, in the scores from forward 50 stat. We are currently around #6 or #7. BUT, we are the leading team for scores from defensive 50.
So, the question we need to answer is "can we turn recent history on its head and find a totally new way to win a GF?"
Were number 1 for scores from the back half by a long, long way though. And the best defensive team in the comp. We tick a lot of boxes to win the flag

I certainly don't see us as the standout team that the media in general does. Man for man, we have many weaknesses compared to other sides. We have a system that beats most of them but it is very taxing on players and can't be sustained for 4 quarters. Exiting from full back is often a problem that our system only solves some of the time. Finals are always a step up in pressure and it is added pressure that has caused us problems this year.
We have a good team and a good chance for the year, but we are no certainties.

Maybe the reason for the focus on more team based attack from D50 in waves is because forward half pressure teams exert a lot of energy trying to lock the ball in in F50, and goal accuracy suffers?
Hence Collingwood trying to do something different?
Is it easier to run in waves back towards goal/space in F50 with teammates to the left and right?

No, not only on the back of last nights win.
They are building towards finals and have the experience and class to challenge us.
Our round 22 clash will be a good measure on whether we need to be worried about them in September.

I think we're better than last year and Geelong are worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back