Preview Burning questions for our premiership defence in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

My hopes are one or more of Allen, McCrae, Ryan, Reef step up into best 22. All could be above average players.

Very keen to see what we have with Dean. Krugs? Who knows.

For now Shultz is an upgrade on Ginni (and Tay playing that role)

AJ could be a real game changer, mongrel and desire I think are the missing ingredients.

i don’t see any of the older guys dropping off a cliff but we won’t see their best as often and will need to manage game time and thoughtful transitions.

We haven’t seen the best of McStay, imho.

cant see either of the draftees impacting this year but both are great additions.

Improvement in Beau, I think if he can impact the scoreboard more and become a real weapon flipping from defensive to offensive during a game.

I often think of 4 moments in the GF for Beau that he fumbled by millimeters, and if he had have nailed them he'd have been contending for the top 3-4 of the Norm.

1. First quarter, marking contest in the forward pocket (I think was when we only had one goal on the board). Brought the ball to ground, won the contested ground ball and broke through a tackler on path to goal, and just missed the checkside shot at goal from 10m by millimetres.

2. Second quarter (I think) - got it in the open in the middle of the ground, put the jets on to run to around fifty and had a flying shot at the open goal. Missed by a metre only

3. Third quarter (I think) - won the ball back in Lions attacking 50, trickled ball out to wingish area, contested ball spills out to McCreery where he jets towards an open 50 with plenty of options. Tries for Elliot (not too bad an option, although probably not the best) and misses him by millimetres.

4. Second or fourth quarter (running that way), wins the ball in a little contest on the wing with noone in front of him. Mitchell next to him. Instead of backing himself in and taking the 20 meters in front to deliver deep into 50, he fumbles with trying to hand it off to Mitchell or something, and the ball spills.

Beau is so close to being a strong contributor up the ground (high half forward), but just needs to tidy up these little things.

I often think of 4 moments in the GF for Beau that he fumbled by millimeters, and if he had have nailed them he'd have been contending for the top 3-4 of the Norm.

1. First quarter, marking contest in the forward pocket (I think was when we only had one goal on the board). Brought the ball to ground, won the contested ground ball and broke through a tackler on path to goal, and just missed the checkside shot at goal from 10m by millimetres.

2. Second quarter (I think) - got it in the open in the middle of the ground, put the jets on to run to around fifty and had a flying shot at the open goal. Missed by a metre only

3. Third quarter (I think) - won the ball back in Lions attacking 50, trickled ball out to wingish area, contested ball spills out to McCreery where he jets towards an open 50 with plenty of options. Tries for Elliot (not too bad an option, although probably not the best) and misses him by millimetres.

4. Second or fourth quarter (running that way), wins the ball in a little contest on the wing with noone in front of him. Mitchell next to him. Instead of backing himself in and taking the 20 meters in front to deliver deep into 50, he fumbles with trying to hand it off to Mitchell or something, and the ball spills.

Beau is so close to being a strong contributor up the ground (high half forward), but just needs to tidy up these little things.
I think he's going to be a star if he gains confidence and realises how good he can be.

Totally agree, he’s not that far off it, just needs to click from that defensive mindset to an offensive mindset. It’s that slight indecision that stops him.

(1) How do we improve our system? “If you’re not improving you’re going backwards”. Super encouraged about some of Fly’s comments about the number of mistakes we made in the GF and scope for improvement. What will our 2024 game plan look like, and how will it hold up?

(2) Will there be any changing of the guard? And if so, how big will it be, and who will be involved? Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Elliott, Cox, Mihocek, Crisp, WHE are all 30+ now.

• Fin Macrae is going into his 4th season. He’s played 12 games, 1 in 2023. Surely this needs to be his year?
  • Reef McInnis is also going into his 4th season. He’s played 11 games, 5 in 2023. Surely this needs to be his year?
  • Harrison is going into his 3rd season. We saw glimpses in 2023, can he find a spot in the forward line in 2024?
  • Ed Allen is going into his 2nd season and yet to debut. He got a 4 year contract so clearly he’s rated. Will 2024 be his year?
  • Jakob Ryan is also going into his 2nd season. After an inauspicious debut, will 2024 be a breakout year for him?
  • Will Kruger and Dean’s bodies hold up the rigours of AFL footy? Will they get a good run at it in 2024?
  • Will Ash Johnson cement a spot in the forward line?
  • Will fringe young players Carmichael, Richards, Begg, and/or Steene have any impact on our 2024 season?
  • Will new draftees DeMattia and Jiath get any games?
  • What impact will the 3 players have who are yet to join our list? Can any of the emulate Markov’s achievements?

(3) What will our forward line look like? It’s the most unsettled line with us losing Adams and Ginni out of the list, McStay having had a bit of a rough trot with injuries, Johnson’s form being hot and cold, Elliott and Mihocek not getting any younger, and Harrison and McInnis having shown shown glimpses.

(4) What does our 2024 ruck situation look like? Will we retain the 2 ruck setup? Cox isn’t getting any younger. Cameron has been a bit hot and cold. McStay is needed in the forward line. Frampton can pinch hit if needed. Will Begg and / or Steene be ready if needed?
we wont miss Ginnivan given our recruitment of Shultz.
Adams' score involvements will definitely be missed.

Totally agree, he’s not that far off it, just needs to click from that defensive mindset to an offensive mindset. It’s that slight indecision that stops him.
Reckon he needs to work with Titch - his below the knees skills are letting him down, as mentioned, he was inches off kicking 3 goals in the GF, so there's a lot to work with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back