I salivate when thinking of our spine!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crystal ball post resigning of Naughton. I think this team’s peak is still 3 years time away. By that stage I think we will have an unbelievably strong spine. My guess is Boyd, Schace, Bont, Naughton and Young. This has the potential to be an elite spine from which the team will be built around. The biggest unknown for me is Young but I’m optimistic on him....

I like the thought, maybe in 3 years time
Interesting to see the miss-use of the footy word spine
Unfortunately I can only see 2 at the moment
Boyd & The Bont
The rest are a bit iffy
Regrettably we have a team full of half backs, half forwards & rovers

I know both are still on the young side but I don't believe either Boyd or Schache will be successful vertebrae in our spine in the future. I have little faith in either to be consistent players in key positions. Schache's contract expires at the end of next year and if he's retained it will be on a very short extension. Boyd is contracted to 2021 and I think that he will either not be offered another or he retires. Hopefully, I'm just being overly pessimistic and they make me eat my words.

I like the thought, maybe in 3 years time
Interesting to see the miss-use of the footy word spine
Unfortunately I can only see 2 at the moment
Boyd & The Bont
The rest are a bit iffy
Regrettably we have a team full of half backs, half forwards & rovers
Are you not sold on Naughton? I am, as a CHB. I’m also sold on Lewis Young as a prospect. The biggest unknown for me is Schache....some good signs but also some worrying ones.

Don’t have to go back to far to remember what the spine was referring to - it’s exactly as described, although it may mean something else nowadays, I’m not sure on that?!

I know both are still on the young side but I don't believe either Boyd or Schache will be successful vertebrae in our spine in the future. I have little faith in either to be consistent players in key positions. Schache's contract expires at the end of next year and if he's retained it will be on a very short extension. Boyd is contracted to 2021 and I think that he will either not be offered another or he retires. Hopefully, I'm just being overly pessimistic and they make me eat my words.

Both will be gone in a couple of years and boy it will be a huge relief. Schache & Boyd are the new Jones & Grant.

Firstly if this was our spine we will continue to be bottom 6 at best. Naughton has shown signs as a froward but Schache never has been nor never will be a KPP. English is developing and in 2 years should be a good player. Young not a KPP nor is Cordy. Both 3rd talls.

Also, there is no such thing as a spine anymore. Structurally you have 2 talls forward, 2 talls back rotating high and deep in or out of a zone. Of plyers mentioned only 1 looks like he could be above average, Naughton

Are you not sold on Naughton? I am, as a CHB. I’m also sold on Lewis Young as a prospect. The biggest unknown for me is Schache....some good signs but also some worrying ones.

Don’t have to go back to far to remember what the spine was referring to - it’s exactly as described, although it may mean something else nowadays, I’m not sure on that?!

I’m with you about the spine
Not sure why English is get named as he is a ruckman?
I agree with Naughton & Schache - both could be good for us
Lewis Young has a lot of up side too
We need to get games into all of them - including Boyd
In a stronger team The Bont would be great in the middle
It’s nice to hear from someone with a plan / philosophy

Firstly if this was our spine we will continue to be bottom 6 at best. Naughton has shown signs as a froward but Schache never has been nor never will be a KPP. English is developing and in 2 years should be a good player. Young not a KPP nor is Cordy. Both 3rd talls.

Also, there is no such thing as a spine anymore. Structurally you have 2 talls forward, 2 talls back rotating high and deep in or out of a zone. Of plyers mentioned only 1 looks like he could be above average, Naughton
Don’t disagree with where things stand now but if we want to look to the future (and by that I mean near future) we need to pump games into them. If they don’t come good then the list needs a big rebuild. To me that’s just depressing given we were looking so good a couple of years back with a young, hungry (and successful) list.....I think young, with a couple more preseasons and an extra 5-10kg will be a KPP. Cordy agree is more a third tall down back....all in all I’m just sick of us getting outmarked week after week and with no forward targets.... also, who is responsible for our conditioning? They need a roast.. why are we so small compared to other teams (I understand we are young) and why can’t our tackles stick... geez we have some weak tacklers... don’t have to be big to be a good tackler. Technique is just as important and we are s**t at it. Hawthorn Rioli was a small but could bloody well tackle... hunter, a bit bigger still, but...............Gowers, JJ, do they know what a tackle is? Gives me kittens the number of times I see weak tackles or half-hearted tackle attempts....Fix this, get some Mongrel in our team and the desire will follow.

The spine is coming along brilliantly. I’m salivating. Naughton Schache English and (Young!!). I reckon we are 1-2 years plus one quality mobile KPD away from having the best spine in the business by not
Just a little, but a lot. How good are
These young talls. Was a little concerned by Schache but am very confident now. Just has elite skills and a beautiful kick for a guy his size (one of the best in the league) and is showing more aggression; I was always confident with Young. One or two more per-seasons and 5-6 kgs more and he will be a beast. I fu#*#n excited by this bunch. And with the best mid crop in the comp it’s gonna be so good dismantling teams in the coming years. Most talented crop of players this club has ever had and I’ve been following for decades.....

Last edited:
Young Keath English Naughton Bruce.....boy oh boy, the marking power is off the charts....it’s also great that they are all very mobile, no lumps......

Cordy plays third tall and Schache forward flanker. Trengove unfortunately misses - of all our talls I find it hardest to find a spot for him....honestly he’s a bit stiff as I thought he played very well as a shutdown role when required - very underrated..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back