IAMDASH'S album of the month: KISS - Dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
KISS – DYNASTY

Picked this album up for just $10 at JB recently and have had it cranking for the past week.

While I would never claim to be the world’s biggest KISS fan I certainly love them all the same. It is amazing that some twenty years later I have finally purchased the album that features the song that got this then four year olds interest in the band back in 1979.

“I Was Made For Lovin’ You” is the opening track. At the time I am sure many diehards were crying out for blood as KISS finally did disco and ended up with their second US gold single (“Beth” being the first I believe).

Coming off the back of the solo albums and turmoil within the band “Dynasty” may not have reached the heights of “Destroyer” or “Love Gun” however it still is a fine album in its own right. One criticism of the album is that it lacks cohesion. This may be partly due to the fact that members of the band were still pursuing their own musical tastes on this record.

Buoyed by the success of his solo effort Ace steals the show on “Dynasty”. His reworking of the Jagger/Richards penned “2000 Man” is the standout track on the album, while “Hard Times” and “Save Your Love” would have sat nicely on his solo record.

Paul’s contribution is serviceable (“I Was Made For Lovin’ You”, “Sure Know Something”, “Magic Touch”) however the contribution of Gene and Peter is almost non-existent.

Peter was battling booze and drugs at the time and played drums on only one song “Dirty Livin’” for which he also contributed the vocal. Surprisingly I rate this as the second best song on the album.

Too busy sticking it to Cher et al. Gene’s contribution to “Dynasty” was minimal. He played bass on only two tracks (“Charisma”, “X Ray Eyes”) as Frehley and Stanley played bass on their own tunes.

I personally listened to “Dynasty” with a tinge of sadness, as it would mark the end of the original era as Peter left (or was sacked from) the band shortly after the corresponding tour. It is far from the first KISS album you would rush to get if you where looking to hear their material for the first time, however it is great value for $10 and well worth a listen.

STANDOUT TRACKS: “2000 Man”, “Dirty Livin’”, “Hard Times”.

Comments, praise, criticism welcome........

It is a great album. Hard to beleive the band were at such loggerheads with each other at the time of its production.

Big fan of 2000 Man, even if it isn't really a Kiss song.

I concur Dash.

Peter didn't even drum on Dynasty! So really, the last Kiss album with all 4 was Love Gun - pretty poor effort.

Dan Smith- you like the drum sound? I can't stand it, Gene Simmons spent weeks getting that drum sound to his perfections, then what do they do later? Remix it, to un-do all of his work!

Too much BOOM BOOM & not enough attack!

This brings back memories. 15 years old and waiting at the shops to buy the album, racing home with it, dropping my bike on the ground and cranking it up driving my parents wild. I was made was a great song, though I loved the extended version on the album, rather than the single. I still have in my possession the 12 inch single that goes for 7 or 8 mins.....

My last Kiss album was creatures of the night....I felt they changed and my hero was Peter Criss, so I think I lost touch after Peter left.

I have all the solo albums on Picturedisc except for the Paul Stanley one.....I am still trying to track that one down to finish my collection........

best song......2000 Man Jagger / Richards

I cant believe the lack of recognition of the outstanding humour of Charisma? What a song!! gene at his, ahem, tonge in cheek best.

And wanna knwo a bit of trivia about that album, and "Unmasked" for that matter? Anton Whatshisname (Figg?), the drummer for the Dave Letterman band, played the majority of the skins work heard on both albums.

All I ever knew as a kid was Unmasked & although I backtracked as I grew older, Unmasked still remains my favourite.
I love Tomorrow. This sounds cheesey but it used to be one of those gettin' ready to go out songs we'd put on really loud. How's immediately after the guitar solo and then straight into the, "I didn't know just what to saaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" *clap-clap* *clap-clap-clap* *clap-clap* *clap-clap-clap*

hehe, I'm going to chuck it on now and listen back to it.

:p :p :p
Anyway, back to the subject at hand being Dynasty, I'm proud to admit that I have I Was Made For Lovin' You as my ring tone.

I love the line in Sure Know Something, "I 've been a gambler but I'm nobody's fool!"

2000 Man always takes me back to the era when I used to follow tribute band, Dynissty around. The guy who did Ace had the dodgyest wig but when he got to sing it was a bit of a treat. I dig the simple *Boom* *Boom* *Boom* of the bass drum in the first verse.

Charisma is such a sexy song & I just love the purring vocals.

But as for the rest of the album, I could pretty much take it or leave it.

2000 Man is THE Ace song IMHO even though it is a cover. His voice is just soooo made for it. yeah two thousand!

Dirty Livin' is my next favourite because it's so different. I can't stand Paul Stanley so I'd listen to the Peter Criss song ahead of it anyday!

Pretty strong album, but Creatures of the Night and Revenge would be my favourites.

Originally posted by Darky
2000 Man is THE Ace song IMHO even though it is a cover. His voice is just soooo made for it. yeah two thousand!

Ooh big call Darky. Can understand you making it, but for mine, Shock Me or Cold Gin are certainly up there as far as being perfect for Ace. The guitar solo in Shock Me is one of the greatest things i've heard. It just sings! And Cold Gin is a pretty filthy kinda tune which kinda sums up Ace. Funny that the holier than thou Gene sang dual lead vocals on it.

Unmasked and Dynasty were the first two albums I bought as a 14 year old in 1980. I've been a big fan of KISS ever since.

My favorite songs on Dynasty are Charisma and X-Ray Eyes. For some reason I've always found the songs Gene Simmons wrote more appealing than Paul's, even though Peter Criss was my favorite member.

The five best KISS Albums in my view are
1. Destroyer
2. Kiss Alive
3. Creatures of the Night
4. Revenge
5. Hotter than Hell

I've also got a soft spot for the Kiss Unplugged, as it was interesting to hear acoustic versions of some of the classic songs and the reunion of the four original members was magnificent.

The worst album/s:
Animalize
and
Carnival of Souls...although there a couple of songs on there that are passable, such as "Master and Slave', Childhood's End and "In My Head"

Best/Favorite Songs:

Nothing to Lose (great version on Unplugged)
Let Me Go Rock and Roll
Shout It Out Loud
Rocket Ride (the ACE song IMO)..never really been fond of 'Shock Me'....although Cold Gin is good.
Black Diamond

KISS are the second worst band in history. Only U2 are worse.

This disliking for KISS may have something to do with the fact that at school every KISS fan used to beat up because I would walk around school in a yellow jump suit and a flower pot on my head singing "Are We Not Men, We Are DEVO".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back