Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Height 191cm Weight: 96kg

Recruited From: East Perth (WA) Debut: 1998

Date of Birth: 9 April 1979 Games 37

The most damning statistic above is the 37 games in 5 years. He played 11 games last year (rounds 1 to 9, and 13 to 14) but IMO has only been retained because of his size in case of injury to first choice players.

His level of effort is first class, but his skills are poor. The ball often bounces off of his cast iron hands and his kicking ranges from okay to deplorable. As Neil Kerley often puts it, he lacks football knowhow. Is sometimes rewarded for his 100% efforts with a good game but mostly just makes too many errors of judgement or skill.

He is a hell of a nice guy and you just wish that he could get it all together while deep down having this sinking feeling that he just never will.

He obviously doubts his AFL opportunities in 2003, because his manager was on 10 news tonight, saying that Ian will probably change SANFL clubs from South Adelaide to North Adelaide, but that there are a lot of other SANFL clubs interested in getting his services.

With young talls such as Rutten, Bock, Hentschel and Jericho on the list, as well as Parker on the rookie list, Perrie will be really under the pump to stay on the list past 2003. My guess is that he will depart at the end of 2003, with Nelson tucked under one arm, and Schell under the other, unless a miracle happens for all 3.

Originally posted by macca23
Height 191cm Weight: 96kg

Recruited From: East Perth (WA) Debut: 1998

Date of Birth: 9 April 1979 Games 37

The most damning statistic above is the 37 games in 5 years. He played 11 games last year (rounds 1 to 9, and 13 to 14) but IMO has only been retained because of his size in case of injury to first choice players.

His level of effort is first class, but his skills are poor. The ball often bounces off of his cast iron hands and his kicking ranges from okay to deplorable. As Neil Kerley often puts it, he lacks football knowhow. Is sometimes rewarded for his 100% efforts with a good game but mostly just makes too many errors of judgement or skill.

He is a hell of a nice guy and you just wish that he could get it all together while deep down having this sinking feeling that he just never will.

He obviously doubts his AFL opportunities in 2003, because his manager was on 10 news tonight, saying that Ian will probably change SANFL clubs from South Adelaide to North Adelaide, but that there are a lot of other SANFL clubs interested in getting his services.

With young talls such as Rutten, Bock, Hentschel and Jericho on the list, as well as Parker on the rookie list, Perrie will be really under the pump to stay on the list past 2003. My guess is that he will depart at the end of 2003, with Nelson tucked under one arm, and Schell under the other, unless a miracle happens for all 3.

I always praise his work ethic!!! He is one of the hardest workers around but just doesn't have footy brain. I always say that if Marsh had as much heart and as good a work ethic as Perrie he would be the best ruckman in the comp. Although I read on realfooty.com.au that Marsh and Clrke are having their best pre-seasons to date. He night plays as well as everyone hoped he would after all.

As for delistings you can add Shirley to that list as well I think!!!!;) :)

I've always felt Perrie was promising. He just hasn't been able to do enough at senior level sadly. I actually thought he might be the one to hold down CHB this year, but then McGregor stepped up nicely. Unfortunately for him, I don't see any opportunities for him in our side for next year, unless there are a few injuries to key players.

You get the feeling that the Crows were tossing up keeping either Perrie or Hewitt as a backup in 2003 in case we have an injury run on our talls. It is unlikely that Perrie will get too many chances in 2003 & that he could be leap frogged by Rutten & Hentschel by seasons' end. Sarge will need to make every post a winner to stay on the list for 2004 & beyond.

Saw the report too. But I thought that they said that Perrie planned on quitting SANFL altogether to concentrate totally on AFL, and to present himself as best as he could each week to the AFC. But surely, that couldn't have been the case. Must have been way off on that one.

I think that the report also said that he reckoned next year was his last year to really prove himself, his last real chance. It would be good to see him really make an improvement, but it seems like it will be real tough for Perrie even if everyone else remains pretty much injury free as we've got such a quality group of players.

Re: Re: Ian Perrie

Originally posted by crowsfan
Saw the report too. But I thought that they said that Perrie planned on quitting SANFL altogether to concentrate totally on AFL, and to present himself as best as he could each week to the AFC. But surely, that couldn't have been the case. Must have been way off on that one.

No, the report was definitely about quitting South Adelaide, not the SANFL, as he hoped his AFL prospects would be improved by being with another club - in all probability North Adelaide, as they had offered the mosr favourable terms. He wouldn't be quitting the SANFL as that is whre he will probably be playing nearly all of his footy next year.

The move from South Adelaide raises an interesting question, as Perrie hopes to imrove his AFL prospects by changing clubs.

Are AFL listed players disadvantaged on an AFL selection basis by playing for a lowly club reasonably remote from the majority of the other SANFL teams?

Re: Re: Re: Ian Perrie

Are AFL listed players disadvantaged on an AFL selection basis by playing for a lowly club reasonably remote from the majority of the other SANFL teams?

That's what i'm thinking to macca, would he be better off going to a top 4 sanfl club rather than to a bottom club such as the Bays or the Roosters {which seem to be his first choice] & i agree if the Crows coaching staff could just instill in him enough self confidence in his own ability to play well at AFL level who knows how far he could go, but unfortunately he is one player that doe's seem to drop his head & go into self doubt mode when ever he makes a clanger.

Re: Re: Re: Ian Perrie

The move from South Adelaide raises an interesting question, as Perrie hopes to imrove his AFL prospects by changing clubs.

Interesting question. I think there are a few issues here. Firstly, you want to make sure you are not playing at a club which has so much depth in the position you play, that you struggle to get many games (eg. Reilly's problem with Sturt).

Secondly, you want to ensure that you are further developing your game to iron out deficiencies to make it at AFL level. Perrie is in this category & as we know hasn't improved his skill level enough. Add to this that he is probably getting stale under Anderson, I reckon it is a good move to change clubs. Whilst I'm a Bays supporter, North is better option as Hart is a good teacher of footballers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ian Perrie

North is better option as Hart is a good teacher of footballers. [/B]

Hart is also one of his former coaches. I think that's the main reason for his move - he's got more confidence in Hart than Ando.

Jerome

Heard it from a close source linked to the cows, that the reason he wanted to leave South is that with the depth of talent they have recruited to Noarlunga next year he could struggle to get a game in the seniors.

Originally posted by Panther Power
Heard it from a close source linked to the cows, that the reason he wanted to leave South is that with the depth of talent they have recruited to Noarlunga next year he could struggle to get a game in the seniors.
As a South fan I'd love to believe that. :) As a Crows fan, thats got me even more worried about Perrie. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Panther Power

Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that?? :rolleyes:

Oh look there goes a flying pig. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back