Bumped If...

Remove this Banner Ad

If.....
.......only I hadn't entered this thread...

I'm heading back to the "Witts, Buckley, Leadership" train wreck.

The thread was intended as a bit of harmless specualation on what may have happened. Don't beat yourself up too much for having entered and feel free to return when you get sick of discussing Buckley's leadership.

Brown is a meat head imbecile. Bad for club culture.
He can play but he's stupid. Hes a modern day Sam Newman.
He captained Brisbane from top to the bottom of the ladder.
They got worse every year of his captaincy, and he resigned it with a club culture in tatters.
Glad he did not come to the pies.
Same goes for Riewoldt, captained his team to the bottom of the ladder, ran a club with a poor culture and fittingly both these players will retire with wooden spoons.
Very over rated captains.
Pendles is a true captain.

I don't know Brown personally but I think he comes across as a really genuine bloke. I'm not sure how demonstrating courage on the field could be bad for club culture. I got the impression from his interview on the Footy Show that he has a bit of regret for turning us down. He could have been a five times premiership player at two different clubs. Not many of them around.

I don't know Brown personally but I think he comes across as a really genuine bloke. I'm not sure how demonstrating courage on the field could be bad for club culture. I got the impression from his interview on the Footy Show that he has a bit of regret for turning us down. He could have been a five times premiership player at two different clubs. Not many of them around.
Im a massive Brown fan, but I also get the feeling he might be contributing to the poor culture up that way. You only have to look at the way he treated Voss as coach and these guys played in 3 flags together ffs.

Im probably wrong, but something is pretty wrong up that way and brown is captain of the club...

I think our forward structure would have been a lot better and pressure would have been taken off Trav. You can't really be very specific with these sorts of scenarios.

Haha get your hand off it.
2009 we lost by 50+ to the cats.
2011 25+ to the cats. Who plays on Hawkins?
2012 who stops Jetta and Kennedy kicking 5 goals. Jon Brown glory days were over from about 06 onwards.

While you're more than likely right in your end result, your premise for being so is wrong.

"2009 we lost to by 50+ to the cats." is the same silliness people spout about the 2003 Grand Final. "Rocca wouldn't have kicked 10 goals for you to win that game".

But with Rocca there, the margin would never have reached that point. When Rocca was there, the side played taller, they played better and with more confidence. When Rocca was there, Brisbane were genuinely worried about us. So THEY don't play with the same confidence.

People that look at a final margin and simply say "Well player X wouldn't have kicked X goals" or "Player X wouldn't have made up a X goal difference" are way too short sighted to be even talking about football.

They're also the same people who think Pendlebury's free kick last Saturday wouldn't have affected the result.

While you're more than likely right in your end result, your premise for being so is wrong.

"2009 we lost to by 50+ to the cats." is the same silliness people spout about the 2003 Grand Final. "Rocca wouldn't have kicked 10 goals for you to win that game".

But with Rocca there, the margin would never have reached that point. When Rocca was there, the side played taller, they played better and with more confidence. When Rocca was there, Brisbane were genuinely worried about us. So THEY don't play with the same confidence.

People that look at a final margin and simply say "Well player X wouldn't have kicked X goals" or "Player X wouldn't have made up a X goal difference" are way too short sighted to be even talking about football.

They're also the same people who think Pendlebury's free kick last Saturday wouldn't have affected the result.
While I also understand what you are saying ever thought that with Jon Brown we might've had to left a player out in the 2010 GF. Might've missed a few shots at goal and the Saints might've won the game by a few points first time round. Brown good early and dropped away badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I also understand what you are saying ever thought that with Jon Brown we might've had to left a player out in the 2010 GF. Might've missed a few shots at goal and the Saints might've won the game by a few points first time round. Brown good early and dropped away badly.

He could have done a knee in his debut too.

But I think in these hypothetical situations, most generally "add-on" that player to an existing scenario without much thought for forgotten realities (whose spot does he take? what happens to gameplan? etc.)

He could have done a knee in his debut too.

But I think in these hypothetical situations, most generally "add-on" that player to an existing scenario without much thought for forgotten realities (whose spot does he take? what happens to gameplan? etc.)
So saying we'd won 4 flags with him is as ludcirus as saying we might not have won the one we did actually manage to win.

If....the ball bounced straight for Tip Rat Milne in 2010 GF, I would still be in the big house today for things I may or may not have done :drunk:o_O:eek:
Nah we might have traded Dawes who kicked a few goals in the GF and Brown might've hit the post and lost us the game..
If you had to leave one Premiership out to make Brown one who would it be? Which player would you take the medal away from. That's one way of looking at it.

If....the ball bounced straight for Tip Rat Milne in 2010 GF, I would still be in the big house today for things I may or may not have done :drunk:o_O:eek:
This comment got me thinking, I really despise mick Malthouse, I've been very critical of him the past few years, even while he was still at the club. But I'll never forget the harsh words he had to Stephen Milne that day, still makes me laugh. He has my respect for that regardless of the 2011 fiasco and joining the scum. And you know what if Milne had kicked that goal I would've jumped the fence and pile driven that little weasel's head in the ground.

If—
BY RUDYARD KIPLING
(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

If—
BY RUDYARD KIPLING
(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

One of the greatest poems ever written.

Not too sure it would've worked out all that well for us as Brown was already well past his best.
I think we could've won in 10-11-12 if we had used pick 14 in the 07 draft on Harry Taylor instead of trading it for Wood.
Not sure if that's who we would have picked up but it's a nice hypothetical.
Geelong without Taylor probably wouldn't have gotten over us in '11 and with him playing for us we'd have a deadly combination of swing men and the leagues best fwd and back lines.
Well that's how it pans out in my fantasy anyway...

Yes it would have.

If Davis stayed at Collingwood, Krakouer wouldn't have done his knee because they are good mates and that would have affected space and time making sure Krakouer doesn't do his knee and Maccaffer wouldn't be on our list to so his knee injury wouldn't spread.
This is probably my favourite excerpt of a post on this board ever :drunk: Didn't know knee injuries could spread.

There is no put in doing what ifs. So many things would have changed had this happened that we may not have actually won 2010; it could have set us back more like Carlton and Judd. Trav may not have developed as well as he did & we might not have drafted Ben Reid or Nathan Brown. No point looking backwards, I'm happy with how overall everything turned out. (Except Jolly & Reid playing in the 2011 GF, that will piss me off for a long, long time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back