BW

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Chelsea
What initiatives or suggestions would u like to put forward to the club, or to just fellow roo supporters, in the following areas:

1. On field suggestions/initiative eg. play colbert in the middle
2. Off Field suggestions/initiative eg. get more sponsers
3. Advice for fellow roos to try and help the club. eg. get to as many games as u can

For mine.

1. Play Watt up forward for a full game,
Play Smith and/or Harris in the seniors and keep them there

2. Get more sponsors,
Get the deep purple fundraiser up and going again

3. Whenever u see a person from the club selling raffle tickets at a game, buy 2 or more.
Get to Optus Oval in Round 16.

Drop players who should be dropped regardless of 'who' they
are eg. Shannon Grant and stop over rating Colbert. Instead
play bloody Harro for once Dennis, he has baulked up heaps
and is ready for a regular go in the in the seniors.
Prostitute the players for a night :D
3. Advice for fellow roos to try and help the club. eg. get to as
many games as u can
R:eek::eek:t lots and make Roo babies to sign up ;)

Good thread blueworms.

Everyone has to be up to AFL standard. High profile players should perform and not be protected by reputations. Youngsters who are going to benefit the club should get a go. If in doubt between an underperforming senior/gun kid - go with the kid. Our finals chances will only diminish in the next 2 years, start the platform now.

Specifically, start grooming a young athletic spine. I'll be pist if any of Hale, Crowe, Foott etc go on and hold down a key possie at Geelong or Adelaide! Give Watt some full games. Let him get embarrassed. McCartney didn't set the world on fire in 1998 but he developed from the experience. If year's end comes and he stinks, then we know.

Bit difficult as it's hard to judge the behind the scenes stuff. From what I know the club pays silly rates for temps when they have an underutilised volunteer admin pool.

Lift the profile of the club by judiciously choosing players for promotions. eg-If there's a youth event use the younger lookers like Jess etc. Use Kingy when you need a schmoozer for clients. Blokes like Digby and Spider are also great in the social situation. No offence to Pratt or Hale, but don't put nervous kids without senior experience as your media face (unless they're born performers), no matter how small.

Even the smallest media exposure can plant the seeds of support in people's minds. eg - last week after the $50k win, instead of 2 non-plussed players, an enthusiastic and warm David King thanking the Footy Show for the cash, explaining it'll help out the club, how everyone's pulling together etc and showing some spunk might make just one person watching that week think "he seems cool, that's my club, yeh i might ring about a membership". Sounds far-fetched but it ain't.

Also - things like the Deep Purple concert are fantastic ideas. I can bet you even tho it failed that promotion would have increased our branding and awareness no end.

3. Advice for fellow roos to try and help the club. eg. get to as many games as u can

Remember the club is basically us. While that sounds a bit flossy, I mean that we can all bitch and moan about some numskull admin kid taking calls at the Roos switchboard and doing a sh*t job. They don't care - it's just a job to them. Don't let that put you off proactively seeking out the people at the club who do have some nouse (Rachel, Jenny etc) and asking when they might need a hand. You never know - you might get in that situation and you might just get a chance to mention that great idea you've been sitting on to Allen or Geoff as they walk past - and change the course of the club. Stranger things have happened!

Originally posted by King Corey
Good thread blueworms.

Specifically, start grooming a young athletic spine. I'll be pist if any of Hale, Crowe, Foott etc go on and hold down a key possie at Geelong or Adelaide! Give Watt some full games. Let him get embarrassed. McCartney didn't set the world on fire in 1998 but he developed from the experience. If year's end comes and he stinks, then we know.

I agree with that..
Cept if we are going to develop a spine, we should start now.. and I wouldnt include Watt in that spine.. hes what?! 22 now? 3 years to develop, thats about 25.. then maybe a year or 2 after that to hit top form.. thats 27.. by time we get him into the stage of being at top form he will be 27.. and might last till 32/33.. I wouldnt really bother.. unless he can really show something in the next 2 years..

Meanwhile Crowe is 19, is young and has only just started his career.. develop him for the next 2/3 years- he'll be 21/22.. then maybe a year or 2 and he'll peak form but still be only 24/25.. I reckon that would be the better option, I know I love Crowe alot- but this is in all seriousness I am speaking here.. so I reckon give him a go for the next couple of weeks while Micks out.. have McCartney at CHB and Baird on a flank, thats some good tall support- and then we'll have Archer,King etc around him just for experienced support. Then in a couple of weeks when Mick returns send Crowe back to the Magoos for a while.. and give him a go about 3 weeks later (like alternating with Mick for 2 weeks) so he gradually gets some experience, but isnt being worked to hard.. then after that when Mick is next injured give him some more time and so on until eventually by rd22 he has maybe 8-10 games under his belt and can go into the pre-season with some experience, spend some time relaxin before returnin to do some pre-season trainin, where he will get a bit of a work out, and will be used to the routine and the club and all.. so he can work a bit harder unlike this year where he like most young kids would be Awed by the experience of actually being at there respective clubs for the 1st time.. actually being an AFL player.. of sorts..

He can spend some time with Mick, and Mick can show him all hte tricks of the trade.. and Crowe can create his own tricks.. and then Crowe can play in the wizard cup, gather some more experience and be ready for his 2nd H&A season, where he will play alot more.. assumin all goes to plan..

JMO

Go Roos

tashi you said to ditch watt because he'll be too old (if he's a gun player at 25 I'll take that!) but then you name mccartney in the lineup - whatyadoin? :confused:

ok assuming crowe is as good as you want him to be, the man i'm watching for is foott. in the same u/18 GF side as Watson last year he looked a player with some strong pack marks and good ground skills. He's got a reasonable build for a kid too and at 193cm and a decent kick has some potential.

1. On field suggestions/initiative
Damir as coach. Every player MUST wear thongs (with socks).

2. Off Field suggestions/initiative
Damir as CEO. Every player MUST register 12 names at Centrelink. Make footi club veri rich.

3. Advice for fellow roos to try and help the club
Play metches in developink footi markets eg Belgrade, Florida, etc

2. Off Field suggestions/initiative eg. get more sponsors

Given the success of last year's Team of the Century night, I was thinking of how we could try and :
A. Continue to recognise those shinboners of old who have bulit the club to what it is and in the process bring them back to the club; and
B. Raise some money for the club

Two ideas

1. 25th Anniversary dinner for the '77 team. Honour the '77 players and auction off limited edition jumpers.

2. Start a Hall of Fame. Whilst we don't have the money to physically have a 'hall of fame', in the meabtime we could have a virtual one. Recognise players who didn't make the TOTC as well. I know we recognise a 'legend' at the Cocktail party each year but I feel that this should be made more official. Eg. Whilst we recognise Pages as the coach of the TOTC, everyone agrees that coaches such as Barrass should also be recognised formally for their contribution. Once a player is inducted, you could also use that as a marketing pitch and have an induction night.

Thoughts?

Very nice thread DTF, i might email the club with some of these ideas. Maybe u should contact Skinny Martyn about the hall of fame, maybe he'll put some money in it??

And another one i was thinking about was maybe 1 in every 10 or so memberships sold before the deadline be half price. Seeing the AFL matches the cash of memberships the club would still make money, and would entice more and new members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by King Corey
tashi you said to ditch watt because he'll be too old (if he's a gun player at 25 I'll take that!) but then you name mccartney in the lineup - whatyadoin? :confused:

ok assuming crowe is as good as you want him to be, the man i'm watching for is foott. in the same u/18 GF side as Watson last year he looked a player with some strong pack marks and good ground skills. He's got a reasonable build for a kid too and at 193cm and a decent kick has some potential.

Yes I name McCartney in the lineup= because as long as hes played where he should be played (the backline) he is a good player.. meanwhile Watt still has to be developed into a good consistent(ish) player..

Go Roos

Originally posted by Dont think Bif

2. Start a Hall of Fame. Whilst we don't have the money to physically have a 'hall of fame', in the meabtime we could have a virtual one. Recognise players who didn't make the TOTC as well. I know we recognise a 'legend' at the Cocktail party each year but I feel that this should be made more official. Eg. Whilst we recognise Pages as the coach of the TOTC, everyone agrees that coaches such as Barrass should also be recognised formally for their contribution. Once a player is inducted, you could also use that as a marketing pitch and have an induction night.

Thoughts?
DtB,
you are a genius. They are initiating a hall of fame this year. Rob Smith (board member) talked about it on roos radio last night!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back