Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Hey all, as I am a new member, and only discovered these boards a few days ago... I can now share with you something that I found interesting.

I love stats, and for a few years, have been keeping some for the Crows. Really disappointed that the Official AFL sites don't have as much intriguing and regular updated stats.

Anyway, to the point, here is a quick one for you:

Crows record day vs. night

DAY

Played... 195
Won... 86
Drawn... 1
Lost... 108
Win %... 44.10%

NIGHT

Played... 120
Won... 69
Drawn... 0
Lost... 51
Win %... 57.50%

This stat really suprises me, and especially highlights that Adelaide are truly suited historically to night games. I wonder why???

Excellent stat. I've always suspected that we played better at night, but this stat confirms it. A 13% difference is quite large.

Don't know why really?

Maybe it's because we've never - generally speaking - had many strong-marking key position players or ruckmen. These sorts of players tend to flourish more in the daylight rather than on dewy evenings.

Or maybe we train under lights more than other teams? Do we? I dunno?

By the way, I've got an interesting stat for you. It took Matthew Clarke 53 games with the AFC to register his first 100 marks. Further justification to make 'the vet' retire at the end of the year.

I don't think there's really much in that statistic.

These days three games each round are played at night. I don't think that was the case when we entered the competition.

In our first six seasons, we only made the finals once. I suspect this is simply a case of our better winning record coinciding with the increase in night games.

Interesting analysis Dave W!

Some more stats, here are our winning %'s against other teams:

Brisbane Lions (post merger) - 28.57%
Carlton - 33.33%
Collingwood - 23.81%
Essendon - 36.84%
Fremantle - 60%
Geelong - 57.14%
Hawthorn - 55%
Melbourne - 63.16%
Kangaroos - 39.13%
Port Adelaide - 33.33%
Richmond - 63.16%
St. Kilda - 63.64%
Sydney - 60.87%
West Coast - 52.17%
Western Bulldogs - 40.91%

Ok, let's look at Adelaide's ideal draw. Obviously we have to play Port Adelaide twice during the season, so that leaves 6 other teams that we have to play twice. Factoring in how we have performed against other teams historically, and balancing against current form, I think Adelaide, should ideally play the following teams twice next season

* Port Adelaide

* Sydney (We have played historically well at the SCG)

* Richmond (Always seem to do pretty good against the Tigers in Melbourne)

* Western Bulldogs
* Hawthorn
* Fremantle (Had a few closes losses at Subiaco)
* Geelong (Beaten Geelong a few times at Skilled Stadium)

This presents a reasonable mix against top 8 and bottom teams, and also gives us two non-Victorian interstate games, Sydney and Fremantle. So, other clubs really couldn't complain against this.

What do you guys / gals think???

Ok, I work in statistics and research.. And if we were looking at these statistics you'd have to take the fact that we've played, what 70+ more day games, so of course its more likely that we've lost more...
Can you find the statistics that show how many day matches we won when we had played the same amount as night matches, then I'll make a decision...

Originally posted by Mr Crow!
Hey all, as I am a new member, and only discovered these boards a few days ago... I can now share with you something that I found interesting.

I love stats, and for a few years, have been keeping some for the Crows. Really disappointed that the Official AFL sites don't have as much intriguing and regular updated stats.

Anyway, to the point, here is a quick one for you:

Crows record day vs. night

DAY

Played... 195
Won... 86
Drawn... 1
Lost... 108
Win %... 44.10%

NIGHT

Played... 120
Won... 69
Drawn... 0
Lost... 51
Win %... 57.50%

This stat really suprises me, and especially highlights that Adelaide are truly suited historically to night games. I wonder why???

Most of our interstate games have historically been played as day games - certainly all games at Optus, Manuka, Windy Hill, Western Oval, Victoria Park and Moorabbin, and most games at the MCG and Waverley. I'd venture a guess that more than half of our games at Footy Park have been night games. So the disparity between night and day is similar to the disparity between home and away, I imagine.

Originally posted by beckybiglands
Ok, I work in statistics and research.. And if we were looking at these statistics you'd have to take the fact that we've played, what 70+ more day games, so of course its more likely that we've lost more...
Can you find the statistics that show how many day matches we won when we had played the same amount as night matches, then I'll make a decision...

Can you explain to me what the use of a percentage is for then, statistically speaking. I was under the assumption is was useful for comparing things with differing total amounts of occurences.

Originally posted by Port01
Can you explain to me what the use of a percentage is for then, statistically speaking. I was under the assumption is was useful for comparing things with differing total amounts of occurences.
:D :D

It is very interesting because as of the past couple of years anyways weve always played much better in the day than the night. This year we have been poor at night and fairly good in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back