Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got myself a pair of Blueant Sweatproof Wireless Headphones.

One of my better purchases in some time, no dropouts and battery gets me through most of the week.

Mine were good for about 8 months then broke, 2nd pair of wireliess headphones down the drain and after a year i have learned to not miss music

Something that annoys me about myself in the gym - my giant Asian calf gene. If I was a dude, great. I'm not. It's not great. I look like I spend 10 hours a day training calves when I spend 0.

Yeh my Vietnamese mate is about 15kg overweight but his calves are SHREDDED!
He does nothing!

People with African or even aboriginal genes generally have no calves, that can include the overweight too.

Based more around tendon:muscle ratio than mass.
Point is heavier people put extra load through their calves so you would expect them (calves) to be propertionally larger than on a smaller person with the same activity level

Have you ever seen an overweight person with small calves?
Only talking about 15kg, not whale, which is pretty much everyone in the western world if you consider around 15% body fat should be the goal for a normal bloke

Is Asians having big calves a thing? I didn't know that.

Unless I magically do calf presses in my sleep ;)

In all seriousness - I don't think it was even remotely a thing until I googled it and found more threads on it than I was expecting... but one can have an argument for days with 'well my friend is this' and 'my friend is that'.

Last edited:
Not really irritating but was in the gym with just one other dude last night (seems either my gym isn't popular or people in Sydney don't work out during winter or after busy hours) anyway dude was going about his routine with headphones in, at one point pulled his phone out of his pocket and I'm 95% sure he was watching pr0n.

Not really irritating but was in the gym with just one other dude last night (seems either my gym isn't popular or people in Sydney don't work out during winter or after busy hours) anyway dude was going about his routine with headphones in, at one point pulled his phone out of his pocket and I'm 95% sure he was watching pr0n.

Go hard or go home.

Bloke trains between 12-2 every day. Super sets (loosely) 5 exercises at a time. Today he's using a squat rack, a barbell and weights, a bench, Dumbbells, one side of a two sided cable, a preacher bench and an ez bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then he gets on the stepper and puts it up so high that it hits the bottom with every step and bangs.

Bloke trains between 12-2 every day. Super sets (loosely) 5 exercises at a time. Today he's using a squat rack, a barbell and weights, a bench, Dumbbells, one side of a two sided cable, a preacher bench and an ez bar

Actually kind of impressed that someone can take up so much equipment at once. Do you say anything to him if you need a piece of equipment?

Actually kind of impressed that someone can take up so much equipment at once. Do you say anything to him if you need a piece of equipment?
I haven't needed anything he's been using yet. I was just talking to the missus about how inconsiderate he is etc. Doubt he even notices.
If I need something I'll just use it. I'm more worried about the people too shy to speak up

Bits of equipment that are asymmetrical, I believe the bench of the bench press that I use is approximately 1.5 - 1.75 cms left of centre, so when I place my hands at the markers on the bar and initially lift the bar, my right arm gets a tiny bit more weight than my left arm until I transfer the weight evenly across my chest.

Gotta get that natural test boost brah

Couple of clients I've been working with at the gym who have a hip and knee complaint respectively.
Both with really weak glute/hams and the one with knee pain is miles off a parallel squat with just body weight (and has a flap meniscus tear).
So what does the gym owner's wife do? Takes them out of my group and puts a bar on their backs in a session consisting of back squats, front squats and assisted step ups.
Unsurprisingly when I asked them after how they went the response was negative

Couple of clients I've been working with at the gym who have a hip and knee complaint respectively.
Both with really weak glute/hams and the one with knee pain is miles off a parallel squat with just body weight (and has a flap meniscus tear).
So what does the gym owner's wife do? Takes them out of my group and puts a bar on their backs in a session consisting of back squats, front squats and assisted step ups.
Unsurprisingly when I asked them after how they went the response was negative
Sounds like the owner at my gym.

Sounds like the owner at my gym.

I've got a terrible poker face, and every time she talks to me about how bad the technique is of people who train at commercial gyms is I'm worried she'll ask me why I keep laughing.

I've got a terrible poker face, and every time she talks to me about how bad the technique is of people who train at commercial gyms is I'm worried she'll ask me why I keep laughing.
We've had a new guy start and he's from a exercise science background. So it's hard at the moment because we have two extremes
The owner who has no idea about resistance training
The new guy who is overly technical and pissing off clients

Our clients are basically only there so they can say they do PT 95% don't want to be pushed and flat out ignore you showing them correct form. I tried to explain to the new guy to keep it simple and as long as they're not doing anything dangerous or damaging that you just need to leave it. He can't understand it.
Really hating the place haha

We've had a new guy start and he's from a exercise science background. So it's hard at the moment because we have two extremes
The owner who has no idea about resistance training
The new guy who is overly technical and pissing off clients

Our clients are basically only there so they can say they do PT 95% don't want to be pushed and flat out ignore you showing them correct form. I tried to explain to the new guy to keep it simple and as long as they're not doing anything dangerous or damaging that you just need to leave it. He can't understand it.
Really hating the place haha

Lol give it time and he'll probably start giving up.
Part of my instruction is/was to teach them barbell movements so I'm pretty anal about that (would be anyway) but then i'll always throw in un-*-uppable exercises where the ones that want to flog themselves can. Sleds normally work a treat for that haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back