Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Its exactly the reason why I dont buy any junk food whatsoever as "snacks". I will demolish them within a day or day two.

Ironically for the first time last Saturday I broke my trend, I purchased some Whittakers Chocolate to eat while being a "degenerate" for the Dees vs Hawks game, but because I won some bets, I got distracted and totally forgot about them. Its now Wednesday, but damn its been hard. However I promised myself to enjoy the weekends only, but during the week to be strict and mindful. This approach keeps me on track and also helps fuel my workouts with good nutritious food.
I don't plan my degenerate time. If there's a morning tea, pub lunch, big weekend etc I go for it. Outside that I don't really have or miss any junk tbh. That way I easily go weeks at a time without anything bad but don't feel restricted as I don't say no when something pops up. I think that's where people fail diets, they skip a social lunch then feel too restricted and give up on the diet...

Mars bar wont hurt you.

A Mars a day helps you work rest and play
At the end of the day, its really calories in and calories out, in regards to weight loss.

If you only ate 3-4 Mars Bars a day, you would ironically lose weight.

I mean technically you could eat Maccas every day and lose weight too.:drunk:

As someone who only trains in the morning, I have found this approach gives me the most discipline and balanced approach. In order for me to be hitting the gym at around 5am, it means getting to sleep early and planning/preparing everything well in advance.

At the end of the day, the best time to go to the gym, is the time that will lead you to being most consistent in going and a part of your lifestyle. Having trained at various times of the day, early morning, lunchtime and in the early evening. For me the best was after lunch. Its just so peaceful and quiet and you have the gym basically entirely to yourself. Mind you I experience this on weekends at my gym so I get the motivational benefit to haul my arse in on a Saturday at 5am.
I go first thing too, usually 6am for me. Struggle some mornings having had nothing to eat before going but better than nothing. Weekends are always better as I rock up having eaten breakfast/had a shake. Before work I go on an empty stomach bar a few swigs of milk or something!

I don't plan my degenerate time. If there's a morning tea, pub lunch, big weekend etc I go for it. Outside that I don't really have or miss any junk tbh. That way I easily go weeks at a time without anything bad but don't feel restricted as I don't say no when something pops up. I think that's where people fail diets, they skip a social lunch then feel too restricted and give up on the diet...
I plan well in advance. If there is a social lunch/dinner, then I will adjust calories leading up to that. I agree eating in a restricted manner at social functions, not only will make you feel miserable but you will end up failing after your diet. For me its a lifestyle Ive maintained fairly successfully since early covid 2020, so it works for me.

I have noticed though, eating well makes a massive difference to my workouts and because I enjoy training and do it 6days a week, it keeps everything under control.

Mind you things turn to crap if Im sick or injured. Its rare, but its usually comfort foods, no holds bar.

I go first thing too, usually 6am for me. Struggle some mornings having had nothing to eat before going but better than nothing. Weekends are always better as I rock up having eaten breakfast/had a shake. Before work I go on an empty stomach bar a few swigs of milk or something!
It took me a while to work out (no pun intended) what works for me before a workout.

I just have a casein powdered milk shake as soon as I wake up. That keeps me going for hours and helps me fuel my workouts easily.

I plan well in advance. If there is a social lunch/dinner, then I will adjust calories leading up to that. I agree eating in a restricted manner at social functions, not only will make you feel miserable but you will end up failing after your diet. For me its a lifestyle Ive maintained fairly successfully since early covid 2020, so it works for me.

I have noticed though, eating well makes a massive difference to my workouts and because I enjoy training and do it 6days a week, it keeps everything under control.

Mind you things turn to crap if Im sick or injured. Its rare, but its usually comfort foods, no holds bar.
Never counted calories, never intend on it. Eating mostly whole foods, avoiding sugary foods/drinks, get enough protein in & I don't believe it to be too necessary on a day to day basis. If you followed those 3 steps you'd very likely be under your calory need anyway, or not far over and any exercise keeps you under

Never counted calories, never intend on it. Eating mostly whole foods, avoiding sugary foods/drinks, get enough protein in & I don't believe it to be too necessary on a day to day basis. If you followed those 3 steps you'd very likely be under your calory need anyway, or not far over and any exercise keeps you under
Are you underweight, "normal weight" or overweight.

I dont count calories, but I have a ballpark idea of whats going on during the week.

For me eating meals high in protein has been the key.

I definitely ignore calorie numbers on weekends.

I dont count calories, but I have a ballpark idea of whats going on during the week.

Probably normal weight (6 foot 5, 100kg roughly) but higher than what i'd like body fat % atm. Injury has ruined soccer training/preseason which would have been 3x a week so that knackered me getting back in shape, hence the gym now taking over. I'll be where I want to be in a few months at most

I only ballpark my daily grams of protein. Would have NFI calories tbh

At the end of the day, its really calories in and calories out, in regards to weight loss.

Ironically you burn WAY more calories from just living an active lifestyle than you do from gymming as well (at least most people do).

So people can and do lose weight eating maccas and not specifically exercising.

As someone who only trains in the morning, I have found this approach gives me the most discipline and balanced approach. In order for me to be hitting the gym at around 5am, it means getting to sleep early and planning/preparing everything well in advance.

At the end of the day, the best time to go to the gym, is the time that will lead you to being most consistent in going and a part of your lifestyle. Having trained at various times of the day, early morning, lunchtime and in the early evening. For me the best was after lunch. Its just so peaceful and quiet and you have the gym basically entirely to yourself. Mind you I experience this on weekends at my gym so I get the motivational benefit to haul my arse in on a Saturday at 5am.

That's it, it's a change in lifestyle and a consistent one that works. Finding the way that works for you can be the difficult bit.

Probably normal weight (6 foot 5, 100kg roughly) but higher than what i'd like body fat % atm. Injury has ruined soccer training/preseason which would have been 3x a week so that knackered me getting back in shape, hence the gym now taking over. I'll be where I want to be in a few months at most

I only ballpark my daily grams of protein. Would have NFI calories tbh

Jesus, remind me not to troll you anymore!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's it, it's a change in lifestyle and a consistent one that works. Finding the way that works for you can be the difficult bit.
Two years ago I would have said youre smoking crack, if you think I could weight train at 5am, but here in 2024 here I am.

For me personally, it sets the foundation for a great day.

Im not perfect, sometimes I have crappy sleep and it may lead to a poor workout, but most of the time I get it right.

Improving my sleep quality, ie sleep hygiene has been the biggest game changer in my training.

Ironically you burn WAY more calories from just living an active lifestyle than you do from gymming as well (at least most people do).

So people can and do lose weight eating maccas and not specifically exercising.
Its a good point you make, I never ever count calories that I burn from weight training, I do this specifically because my focus at the gym is to get stronger. So yes, 3-4mins break between compound lifts and 2-3 mins break between accessory exercises. Of course sometimes the break/recovery is shorter, depending on the exercise, like calf raises etc.

I still see so many at the gym prioritize treadmill/elliptical/bike over weights. Im not talking about the ones with physical/medical issues here, its the ones that do both, but spend an extraordinary amount of time on cardio for weight loss purposes.

Its a good point you make, I never ever count calories that I burn from weight training, I do this specifically because my focus at the gym is to get stronger. So yes, 3-4mins break between compound lifts and 2-3 mins break between accessory exercises. Of course sometimes the break/recovery is shorter, depending on the exercise, like calf raises etc.

I still see so many at the gym prioritize treadmill/elliptical/bike over weights. Im not talking about the ones with physical/medical issues here, its the ones that do both, but spend an extraordinary amount of time on cardio for weight loss purposes.
Because most of my training is circuit based my HR is usually up the whole time anyway but 30 minutes will normally burn between 300-350 calories. Which from memory is like half a mcchicken burger on its own (eg not much at all)

I've put on some fat across the stomach that i guess I'll have to look at dieting off at a later date.

For the moment to just stall it from increasing I've cut back on eating a bit, no junk, only eat when actually hungry and more slowly.

Its exactly the reason why I dont buy any junk food whatsoever as "snacks". I will demolish them within a day or day two.

Ironically for the first time last Saturday I broke my trend, I purchased some Whittakers Chocolate to eat while being a "degenerate" for the Dees vs Hawks game, but because I won some bets, I got distracted and totally forgot about them. Its now Wednesday, but damn its been hard. However I promised myself to enjoy the weekends only, but during the week to be strict and mindful. This approach keeps me on track and also helps fuel my workouts with good nutritious food.
Chocolates got smashed today, great way to begin the long weekend. If that was the only thing, its not a big deal, there was damage done when I purchased a couple of Biscoff doughnuts to go with my rack of ribs. :$

The only comfort I can take, is that I will be at the gym tomorrow at 5am on Good Friday. Rain, Hail or Shine. :rainbow:

Wouldnt be healthy but

Remove this Banner Ad

Back