Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

For an interstate side with their big home ground to make the top two then go out in straight sets is unprecedented. Unheard of for a Melbourne based team that plays neutral finals at the MCG.

But to go out in straight sets at home two years in succession, surely this will be considered the biggest choke in AFL history. Port Adelaide were never that bad in the early 2000's.
To go out in straight sets, we'd need to lose to Richmond first. I know you've written the result in your head already, but it's actually still another 10 days until the game starts.

Yes, I'm pretty confident they are.

The only thing that will stop them from going out in straight sets for the second consecutive year is St. Kilda beating the Bulldogs. They're lucky they didn't finish first otherwise they would have been a certainty to go out in straight sets.
how about you worry about the bottom 4 and leave the finals to us.

The only thing that will stop them from going out in straight sets for the second consecutive year is St. Kilda beating the Bulldogs. They're lucky they didn't finish first otherwise they would have been a certainty to go out in straight sets.
A certainty......the only certainty is Carlton will not be going out of the FINALS in straight sets.

We are here. Where are you guys? Coming?

Any supporters of top 8 teams out there who would prefer to play Brisbane at the Gabba over any other team?

*excluding Richmond*

**the team not the supporters**

We are here. Where are you guys? Coming?
You’re about to lose to a team that been playing half a VFL side all year then go out in straight sets v a team that has only beaten 1 team in top 8. Back to back straight out followed by returning to mediocrity. Blessed with 10 games in your home state. Carlton played 1 game at home this year. With the second worst injury list still pushed everyone and missed out due to inaccuracy, inconsistency and pineapples. Brisbane get all the green in the world and are about to throw it away. Don’t say you aren’t afraid this might be tough mentally for your club if it happens again.

When was the last time a team came second two years in a row but couldn’t make a GF or better yet win a final. I think Brisbane will be the first team ever.

Geelong 2016 and 2017 came second both years without making a Grand Final.

Swans came close finishing 2nd in 1986 and 3rd in 1987 without winning a final.

Hawthorn finished 3rd in 2016 and lost both finals, missed the finals in 2017, and then finished 4th in 2018 and lost both finals.

In terms of finishing top 2 two years in a row without winning a final (i.e. 0-2 in finals both years), it would be Carlton 1975 (2nd) and 1976 (1st).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re about to lose to a team that been playing half a VFL side all year then go out in straight sets v a team that has only beaten 1 team in top 8. Back to back straight out followed by returning to mediocrity. Blessed with 10 games in your home state. Carlton played 1 game at home this year. With the second worst injury list still pushed everyone and missed out due to inaccuracy, inconsistency and pineapples. Brisbane get all the green in the world and are about to throw it away. Don’t say you aren’t afraid this might be tough mentally for your club if it happens again.
Haha. Great when supporters from outside the 8 have a crack at those who make it. Not afraid at all. Fourth youngest list and will be around for a while. Destination club. I think you are envious us a bit as 3-4 years ago you were expecting to be here. Understandable.

07cb7f6e90dff81467e7e73a0faf70ba318fd4d5229e40572249ac8859ec47cd.gif

This is Carton fans favourite time of the year. Having a go at teams that actually made the 8. You just wish you were here.

I dont think so. They are probably one of the top few contenders for the flag, sure the season and finals circumstances have helped that, but you take what you get.

If they win the QF, which yes would be a market upset but not the biggest we've seen, then they lock in the rest of the season at the Gabba and probably become the flag favourites leading into the PF weekend.

I dont see them getting smashed in straight sets and bundled out. At worst I think they lose to Richmond and win the SF the next week at home.

This is Carton fans favourite time of the year. Having a go at teams that actually made the 8. You just wish you were here.

Look, their season's over and they need something to talk about. Let them be ! :D;)

Haha, stressing about events that haven't even happened.

Anyone who bandies about terms like “certainty” when discussing match outcomes either:

1. doesn’t understand basic mathematics
2. OR is just salty & bitter that their own team is stuck in no-mans land

If people genuinely believed the tripe they say, they’d be out putting the house on a Richmond win - but they don’t, because they don’t believe what they say, they just want to puff up their chest and feel better about their own teams mediocre year.

The reality of our finals series last year, we were underdogs VS a seasoned, quality team, and went into quarter time 4.6 to 3.0. We played well enough to win as underdogs, but to an extent “choked” missing gettable shots (acknowledging that typically our shots were from more difficult positions. We still underperformed accuracy-wise, though).

We then went on to lead another seasoned finals outfit (and eventual grand finalist) until about 1-2 minutes to go, where a blatant throw assisted the goal that would ultimately defeat us. The game was a coin flip, and if that throw got called everyone would likely be talking about how well we coped under “close final pressure”.

Across the two finals we had:
- 28 more inside 50’s
- 18 more clearances
- 37 more contested possessions
- 5 more scoring shots

Alas, we kicked 19.31 to 30.15

We choked in front of goal, but not in play around the ground. We can play well enough to win any game - need to straighten things up to make it more likely than not, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back