Is Cricket 'DEAD' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the Bowlologist GH?

flemo.jpg

Just on Siddle, he was bowling for 15 of the 20 NZ wickets. He took three while 11 came from other bowlers and there was also a run out. Coincidence? Warne often credited McGrath's tight bowling at the other end for many of his wickets. Looked to me he was bowling to plan as pretty much every ball he bowled that made it to the keeper got a clap and a cheer from the slips.

Pattinson looks a gun and I am excited about going into a test match with two tall fast bowlers who pose a genuine threat supported by Siddle/Harris and a quality spinner in Lyon.

On Watson, can he be our 4th bowler and bat at 8? Or is that being too greedy? Just not sure who we will drop and structure the batting lineup when Watson comes back unless he opens. Whoever you drop, you end up with Ponting back at 3 unless you drop Hussey (or Ponting!). Anyone prepared to drop Ponting or Hussey? Can Watson bat at 4? Or do we need to put Hussey at 4? I am loath to move Clarke given his current form is so good.

Hughes
Warner
Kawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Cummings
Lyon

EDIT: I play Watson at opener for the rest of the summer and try not to bowl him much then make a hard decision on one of Hussey or Ponting at the end of the summer pending their output.

Just on Siddle, he was bowling for 15 of the 20 NZ wickets. He took three while 11 came from other bowlers and there was also a run out. Coincidence? Warne often credited McGrath's tight bowling at the other end for many of his wickets. Looked to me he was bowling to plan as pretty much every ball he bowled that made it to the keeper got a clap and a cheer from the slips.

That's what Brendan Mcardle is saying re Siddle. He seems to lack a bit of variety to me, especially compared to how I believe he can bowl. But I think he's probably playing a role in the team much as you've described. Now, I have a mate who used to play for the Vics and is still involved in the game, and he says Siddle's at his most dangerous when he has a 'licence to hurt' but the trick is making sure he slots back onto the right length when he's not going for the throat.

Yes, Pattinson looked so undercooked in the first dig and a world-beater in the second. The truth is he's probably somewhere between. But exciting never-the-less.

As for the batting line-up, I'd like to see Watson find his way to six. But, as you articulated, I imagine it mightn't be until later in the summer, or the next away series, but I think that's where he'll go. And that means Hussey is out.

Also, has anyone else noticed the big change in Haddin? He's actually leaving balls again. He doesn't look as a manic. And his shot selection is back.

So, in the unlikely even that Mitch regains his mojo after his lay-off, we'd have a nicely balanced attacked, not to mention a potentially deep batting line-up.

So, in the unlikely even that Mitch regains his mojo after his lay-off, we'd have a nicely balanced attacked, not to mention a potentially deep batting line-up.

You know, for me, I'm seeing Johnson and Starc as the same bowler. Except one bowls with a sling arm, swings the ball once a year, can't move the ball off the seam and is 30 years old.

The other gets great bounce, moves the ball off the seam and has plenty of years for McDermott and co. to teach more consistency.

I think Mitch is done.

Mitchell is a curious one. I'd like to see what McDermott and Arthur can do with him. There seemed to have been some very elementary things wrong with the way he was going about his work. I think if everything clicks there isn;t a spot for Siddle.

Mitchell is a curious one. I'd like to see what McDermott and Arthur can do with him. There seemed to have been some very elementary things wrong with the way he was going about his work. I think if everything clicks there isn;t a spot for Siddle.

You are probably right but pushing Siddle out of the test team is a nice luxury to have :) But with our bowlers being constantly injured it might be while before that occurs . . .

I heard a rumor that Cutting was carrying an injury which is why he did not get selected for Australia. He plays for QLD and gets injured and is unlikely to play for Australia this summer. If that is true then that is terrible player management! Seems to be a common theme among our bowlers though . . .

On form I was perplexed he didn't get a spot in the Brisbane test.

But then, if he was carrying an injury, surely including him in the squad then cutting him (no pun intended) so he makes a last minute dash to the Shield game is ridiculous. and, as you pointed out, bad player management.

What are people's thoughts on Nathan Lyon? I reckon he's the most promising spinner debut since MacGill. The Indians will be a test but if he competes well, which I think he will, I reckon we'll have a gem.

What are people's thoughts on Nathan Lyon? I reckon he's the most promising spinner debut since MacGill. The Indians will be a test but if he competes well, which I think he will, I reckon we'll have a gem.

Agree on Lyon, really looking forward to seeing him bowl live at the G, he wont have many tougher series than vs the Indians

Talk about having an old head on young shoulders. Lyon looks like he's been playing for 30 years.

Great control, flight, loop and turns it enough to be a real danger. Has a nice over-spinner as well.

As well as this, what a difference the captain (Clarke) makes by being very attacking by nature. Pointing would have had 5 men on the fence before Lyon even came onto bowl!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon seems to have very good control and an understanding of how to attack to take wickets. Contrast that with Doeherty who had reasonable control but no attacking ability or Krezja who could only attack but had poor control and no plan B.

Will be our spinner for many years to come.

Agreed. He's hardly played any cricket either. Should really develop quickly the more he plays. Most importantly, he looks like an old time spin bowler.

Lyon is an interesting one. I've liked what I've seen so far of him, all of the attributes others have mentioned. BUT does he have enough tricks to get through the close analysis that sides will put into him. Spinners can burst onto the scene, make an impact and disappear just as quickly as sides learn to read their deliveries. One thing about Hauritz was not the deception, but his ability to put it in the same spot time and time again. He was a containment bowler who got wickets with natural variation rather than and great deal of spin.

So the scene is set for Lyon. His technique will be tested by the Indians, and it's how he comes out of the next 6 months of cricket that will dictate if he is a long term option for our attack.

If he can become our Swan, then we've found a winner!

As for the injuries...

It's been noted (again)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/player-injury-review-vital-20111206-1oh7a.html

Lyon is an interesting one. I've liked what I've seen so far of him, all of the attributes others have mentioned. BUT does he have enough tricks to get through the close analysis that sides will put into him. Spinners can burst onto the scene, make an impact and disappear just as quickly as sides learn to read their deliveries. One thing about Hauritz was not the deception, but his ability to put it in the same spot time and time again. He was a containment bowler who got wickets with natural variation rather than and great deal of spin.

So the scene is set for Lyon. His technique will be tested by the Indians, and it's how he comes out of the next 6 months of cricket that will dictate if he is a long term option for our attack.

If he can become our Swan, then we've found a winner!

As for the injuries...

It's been noted (again)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/player-injury-review-vital-20111206-1oh7a.html

The thing that separates an average spin bowler from a very good one is their ability to beat a batsman in the air. Flight seems to be the thing that separates Lyon from the procession before him. (his dismissal of Ryder was the perfect example of this.... misjudged the length the ball prior and hit out with the following) It's what makes Vettori such a good bowler (who doesn't have a lot of tricks) and Warne such a great one (when you add in Warne's control). It was also Murili's main weapon.

Tricks are all very good and yes, part of the mystery of a spinner is picking their variations, but you can analyse a spinner until the cows come home... you can't analyse picking flight. A batsman's ability to deal with it is a measure of their skill against quality spin bowling.

Who the **** is managing our fast bowlers?

Everyone one of them has broken down now during the past season for one reason or another.

Some how, the ACB needs to pay the Test players more so they are not playing T20 tournaments in the Big Bash and India.

McGrath never missed many Test matches besides when he trod on the ball.

Whats the solution?

Everyone one of them has broken down now during the past season for one reason or another.

Some how, the ACB needs to pay the Test players more so they are not playing T20 tournaments in the Big Bash and India.

Whats the solution?

We need an injury thread. Where is 'real hawk', bloody medico's

Whats the solution?

Bodhan...

What about when he had bone spurs in his ankle, missed most of 2003-4

What about when he had bone spurs in his ankle, missed most of 2003-4

Piss off Boonie.

Like I was telling the story, besides the bone spurs and treading on the ball, McGrath hardly missed any Test matches.

If I recall, Lawson has a very different theory on how fast bowlers should be managed. No cotton wool for him but hard work. Push through the aches and pains and that makes them more resilient is his mantra. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back