Is it time for Michael Christian to go

Remove this Banner Ad

And the OP was right, Christian should have gone 2 years ago.
Hopefully Laura Kane sorts it out as soon as the season is over.

She was already in the role all year and has reviewed every decision the MRO has made and, along with one of the AFL's senior lawyers, signed off on every decision.

Christian is paid to review video tape, check Twitter posts from journos to gauge outrage, and report his findings to the AFL Execs.

The AFL Execs are the ones who make the final decision. Not Christian.

He probably nails his KPIs and gets his bonuses.

A player was knocked out. He had a responsibility to send it to the tribunal to be adjudicated, to be found guilty or not. The fact he didn’t, and it’s obvious to the world why he didn’t, should mean he is stood down immediately.
Obvious to the world that he didn't because clearly no case to answer. If the tribunal and the appeals boards decide this is worth a suspension then at least the Pies have the money to take it to the court system.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He intentionally jumps, extends his arms to smother, intentionally retracts his arms down (had a choice not to), turns sideways and hits him. Could have not turned and pushed him in the chest

Personally I think he should get off, but it was an intentionally act, but I doubt he wanted to inflect a conclusion
The English in this post should be sent to the tribunal.

This bloke is incapable of being impartial, how the hell he still has a job is a complete mystery. One can only assume he has compromised photos of someone important.

He intentionally jumps, extends his arms to smother, intentionally retracts his arms down (had a choice not to), turns sideways and hits him. Could have not turned and pushed him in the chest

Personally I think he should get off, but it was an intentionally act, but I doubt he wanted to inflect a conclusion
All well and good in slow motion.

Watch it in real time and see if all of that is possible.

It’s just an unfortunate football act as you are allowed to jump in the air and try and smother the football.

It’s unfortunate for Gus because it did effect Melbournes night, but to say that it was intentional is way off the mark. What doesn’t unfortunately help is Gus’ history with concussions, I’m 100% certain that the whole football community hope that he is ok because he comes across as a fantastic guy.

But if he does get rubbed out for this then I really do feel for the state of the game moving forward.

Take your anti-pies glasses off and really think to yourself if you think it’s good for our game if he misses games and more importantly a chance at a premiership for that footballing act. It will set a precedent I don’t think we want.

Bloke has been inconsistent and shithouse for years, time for someone not in the boys club preferably based out of Vic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched it in real time and it is also possible to not pull his arms back down, turn sideways and brace for contact

It’s just an unfortunate football act as you are allowed to jump in the air and try and smother the football.
I have acknowledged that

It’s unfortunate for Gus because it did effect Melbournes night, but to say that it was intentional is way off the mark. What doesn’t unfortunately help is Gus’ history with concussions, I’m 100% certain that the whole football community hope that he is ok because he comes across as a fantastic guy.
It is unfortunate for Brayshaw, but let's leave that to one side. Everything Maynard did was intentional, without of course wanting to concuss a player

But if he does get rubbed out for this then I really do feel for the state of the game moving forward.
Almost impossible to get the perfect look/outcome for our game, just minimise the variations

Take your anti-pies glasses off and really think to yourself if you think it’s good for our game if he misses games and more importantly a chance at a premiership for that footballing act. It will set a precedent I don’t think we want.
I don't have any anti-pies glasses on and from my first post I have stated that he shouldn't be rubbed out

My main point was around the discussion of intent.

Everything Maynard did was intentional, but it was clearly in play

Again, I would not suspend him for that incident

Last edited:
Laura Kane's position is untenable, caved to publicity and interfered in a correct decision.

No.
Kane is not determining the outcome, only advising on the appropriate process.
Given the ambiguity associated with the interpretation of this incident, it’s appropriate that the tribunal rules on it.
Sounds like Christian wanted to avoid the process. That’s why his position is untenable.

A Collingwood ring-in IMO_ but that is just based on his very obvious bias shown against one team in particular - mostly coming to ineffect when challenged. Time for him to go - which has probably been signaled by his bias being called out by his superior officer.

A Collingwood ring-in IMO_ but that is just based on his very obvious bias shown against one team in particular - mostly coming to ineffect when challenged. Time for him to go - which has probably been signaled by his bias being called out by his superior officer.
It has actually become quite laughable that the same individual only two weeks prior had deemed a football act committed by Toby Bedford was worthy of a suspension. An act where it wasn’t even clear if head contact was made or even if any force.

If this alone doesn’t tell you that he doesn’t operate in bias, then I am not sure what does?

I might be able to take his decisions more serious if he applied the same logic to the countless other football acts that were suspended that resulted unintentional contact made to the head.

Last edited:
It has actually become quite laughable that the same individual only two weeks prior had deemed a football act committed by Toby Bedford was worthy of a suspension. An act wheeler it wasn’t even clear if head contact was made or even if any force.

If this alone doesn’t tell you that he doesn’t operate in bias, then I am not sure what doesn’t?

I might be able to take his decisions more serious if he applied the same logic to the countless other football acts that were suspended that resulted unintentional contact made to the head.

The whole AFL rulings thing is band aid on a band aid....and having one bloke an ex player for that matter who has been biased against one Club in particular over and over again and been shown to be incompetent on appeal - its time for him to go and I would say NO EX PLAYERS involved in simple adjudications based on video evidence along with consistent ( as you say) interpretations of same acts...

If he put his arms out in front of him in the split second he had to decide, he could easily have hit him in the face which would have been worse.

Personally I'd be happy to see him get off but I don't buy the argument that in a 'split second' he had no other choice.

He clearly had his arms up to smother and then changed his position and lead with his shoulder. If he had time to make that decision he also had the same amount of time to make a decision to simply continue through with his arms extended and perform more of a tackling motion.

Footballers aren't much different to F1 drivers in this regard - they make dozens of split second decisions during a game.

Personally I'd be happy to see him get off but I don't buy the argument that in a 'split second' he had no other choice.

He clearly had his arms up to smother and then changed his position and lead with his shoulder. If he had time to make that decision he also had the same amount of time to make a decision to simply continue through with his arms extended and perform more of a tackling motion.

Footballers aren't much different to F1 drivers in this regard - they make dozens of split second decisions during a game.
Who in there right mind would leave there hands up in that instance to have themselves cleaned up? If you think that’s the case then you haven’t played much footy.

He went for a smother (football act) and then mid air braced for contact all in a split second.

Christian been there for way too long and time for a change.

Been a horrible MRO to be honest.

Not one decision has been right either.

Should have stood his ground with Kane but caved in to the demands of her.

Time for a change and a total review of the MRO and the tribunral.

But for Michaeal needs to step down and find another job.

This did not work out for him or more importantly the game.

You can say the same thing as with the entire AFL execs and board as well.

Over paid grubs with no crediablity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back