Can umpires force specific defenders to go on the mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I’ve now noticed it more than a couple of times this year with Darcy Moore where the umpires call him back and make him stand the mark instead of another player.

Is there a rule where if you give up a mark, you’re not allowed to run back to the goal line straight away?

I’ve found it odd how umpires will call a player back to take the mark when they are choosing to run back and have another player stand the mark.

From my understanding it depends where a player is in relation to the contest and the circumstances.

Using your example, if it is a marking contest and Moore's opponent takes the mark he can either move outside the 5m zone or stand the mark, another player can't run into the 5m zone to be called to stand in most cases as this would be entering the protected zone. Consequently it's usually a choice on behalf of the player who is in that/closest to the contest.

Where there is some latitude is usually where there are free kicks paid as I often then see, for example, a free called in a ruck duel and one of the midfielders will stand the mark allowing the ruck who infringed to get behind the ball. I put this largely down to the delay that allows players to setup/get out of the protected zone while the ball is being provided to the infringed against player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back