Umpiring How Can this Happen ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant criticise if the umps werent in a position to see that

Esp given i keep banging on about calling what you clearly see and not what you think you saw.

Id rather they miss the 1/1000 of these than stop the game more often

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to hear if the AFL mention the boundary line incident in this week's review. From what I seen no AFL spokesperson mentioned it once (Port vs WCE), even though it costs the same 6 points as score reviews which they take great pains to address.

Cant criticise if the umps werent in a position to see that

Esp given i keep banging on about calling what you clearly see and not what you think you saw.

Id rather they miss the 1/1000 of these than stop the game more often
I think it's time to copy ice hockey and just put up screens around the boundary line.

The ball never goes out of play and we'll never need to complain about 'Deliberate' or bad umpiring decisions like this one again.

Wish the rule was just made simple. One foot within the field of play, balls in play. Feet outside the boundary, balls out.

Trying to judge mid air whether a ball is over the line or out is just more gray area.

Depending on the umpires position, area of the ground, how it’s being held, all changes the perception of where the ball is. Too much room for error and misjudgement.

Wish the rule was just made simple. One foot within the field of play, balls in play. Feet outside the boundary, balls out.

Trying to judge mid air whether a ball is over the line or out is just more gray area.

Depending on the umpires position, area of the ground, how it’s being held, all changes the perception of where the ball is. Too much room for error and misjudgement.
You'd still have the same issue except with the feet instead of the ball.

As pointed out above there are 2 boundary umpires. If one is 60m away, where is the other one?

Last week was blatant. Last night was a maybe. Hard to tell without a good angle.
Agreed.

Looked very likely it was out but the camera angle we had makes it look more out than it is. My judgement is that it some of the ball could have been above the line, but I doubt it.

In the grand scheme of things it's not blatant enough to carry on about, and we got to see a really good goal.

Personally, I can live with the rule as it is.

I just don't see it as that big of a deal if the ball is slightly over the boundary line or not.

50m penalties aren't exact.
15m kicks aren't exact.
Lining up the mark isn't exact.
Standing the mark isn't exact.
The bounce going outside the centre circle isnt exact.
'Too Far' isn't exact.

Umpires make a call in real-time and we live with it.

The only thing that really needs to be exact is Goals IMO.

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with you, if we changed the rule like you've suggested we will end up with the AFL equivalent of those ridiculous twenty-20 cricket "catches" where they jump out to throw the ball up to their team mate who is in the field of play.

Not sure the AFL would want players jumping into / over the fence desperately trying to punch a ball back into play before their feet hit the ground.

Last edited:
Whilst I don't entirely disagree with you, if we changed the rule like you've suggested we will end up with the AFL equivalent of those ridiculous twenty-20 cricket "catches" where they jump out to throw the ball up it to their team mate who is in the field of play.

Not sure the AFL would want players jumping into / over the fence desperately trying to punch a ball back into play before their feet hit the ground.

Should have clarified, if the ball is loose, once it’s over the line it’s out to prevent this stuff.

If the ball is in hand and under control, one foot within the boundary play on.

Rule would only apply to a ball in control.

Personally, I can live with the rule as it is.

I just don't see it as that big of a deal if the ball is slightly over the boundary line or not.

50m penalties aren't exact.
15m kicks aren't exact.
Lining up the mark isn't exact.
Standing the mark isn't exact.
The bounce going outside the centre circle isnt exact.
'Too Far' isn't exact.

Umpires make a call in real-time and we live with it.

The only thing that really needs to be exact is Goals IMO.

And 90% of the time the umpires make a reasonable call.

It’s Michael Christian at the tribunal we should all be getting our pitchforks out for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back