So rucks can take possession and it’s not holding the ball anymore?

Remove this Banner Ad

kreuze_missile

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this a 2023 rule change that I missed.

Several times this round I’ve seen rucks take possession at stoppage and be immediately tackled.

This used to be and immediate holding the ball.

Now it’s not being paid.

When did this rule change?

Carlton supporters may not have followed the game for the last 5 years and are just getting back into it

Ouch.

Might be true. I didn't know it had changed either.

I think it's a good rule, but the umpires are too lenient. Often a ruckman will take it out of the ruck, take a few steps (which would generally be considered prior opportunity in any other situation), then get tackled but it's called a ball up.

If a ruckman is immediately tackled after taking in out of the ruck I think it's fair enough not to penalize him, but the umpires seem reluctant to call it holding the ball regardless of how much prior opportunity they have.

I think it's a good rule, but the umpires are too lenient. Often a ruckman will take it out of the ruck, take a few steps (which would generally be considered prior opportunity in any other situation), then get tackled but it's called a ball up.

If a ruckman is immediately tackled after taking in out of the ruck I think it's fair enough not to penalize him, but the umpires seem reluctant to call it holding the ball regardless of how much prior opportunity they have.
Eh, I'm happy with the leniency, most ruck contests are genuine hitouts. One the rare occasion it does get grabbed it usually takes the bloke an extra second or two more than normal to realise they have to dispose of it. Certainly not the biggest worry in our game. The rule is pretty much only used by tall forwards who try to grab it and snap a quick goal which is always a good spectacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back