MRP / Trib. Rampe Gets Two Match Suspension For Off The Ball Bump

Remove this Banner Ad

So according to some of the Einstein's on bigfooty, players can only run in one direction for the entirety of the game. Changing direction to pick up an opponent is bang out of order.

At least some common sense prevailed THIS TIME. Clubs should not even need to appeal these things though.
Its amazing that in this era an almost perfect defensive effort can get you 2 weeks suspension.
All i see is that he's put himself in good position based on what he sees the strengths in his opponent, instantly puts on his skates when he reads the ball off the boot, then gets his body in tight on the correct side and McNeil turns into him. Its like...textbook work. Is there no contact allowed ?

Should Rampe immediately turn right and get into a foot race with McNeil ? Is that the new AFL ? Maybe he should stop, put his arms out to sheppard instead of trying to run off and get involved in the play after effectively beating his opponent. 4 umpires couldnt even find a free kick in it...its hard to see one even with slo-mo replays.

Its good that it was picked up later after the game for his health, but they need to stop the obvious witch hunting. All they did was review the game with a suspension already loaded in their holster, and landed on a "more than likely" incident that "possibly" caused it.

Anyway, lets hope its only a 1 week protocol for him. Concussions dont always result from heavy collisions.

Not odd at all. We damaged Bulldogs final 4 prospects and in 2 weeks time had the opportunity to do the same to Essendon. The AFL know what they are doing. Going to make more money if a big Vic team goes deeper into finals. The fact that from minimal footage they determine high and high shows they are a bunch of corrupt campaigners.

If this report happened to the likes of Darcy Moore, it is all we would be hearing about tonight and the fans would be tearing the league apart on social media. Instead, being a non-Vic side, the fans are apathetic.... until it happens to them.
So how's that conspiracy going?

Rumours that the Hawks are considering appealing this decision

No point. Could bring in the biomechanics expert but apparently the Homer Simpson 'it's my first day' excuse is enough to get off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something fishy about this decision. An "accidental" footy action 50m off the ball leaves a player with concussion.

BTW I was there the day Jimmy O'Dea near half killed John Greening at Moorabbin, these days "Jeansey" would have claimed it was an accidental football related action.

And pigs might fly.

I have no problem with Rampe getting off - it is not a reportable offence IMHO. A free kick at most if he is caught.

But the explanation from the tribunal is a whole lot of unadulterated horse s**t. McNeil runs parallel to the centre square line whilst Rampe clearly changes direction, crosses the centre square line and initiates contact. Accidental my ass. Rampe did what defenders are supposed to do in this situation. The ball was about to be kicked to the Bulldog forward line and Rampe blocked McNeil so he couldn't get to the contest.

I have no problem with Rampe getting off - it is not a reportable offence IMHO. A free kick at most if he is caught.

But the explanation from the tribunal is a whole lot of unadulterated horse s**t. McNeil runs parallel to the centre square line whilst Rampe clearly changes direction, crosses the centre square line and initiates contact. Accidental my ass. Rampe did what defenders are supposed to do in this situation. The ball was about to be kicked to the Bulldog forward line and Rampe blocked McNeil so he couldn't get to the contest.
I reckon the angle from behind the goals (here at 0:30) shows Rampe running mostly along the centre square line, and McNeil with the greater change in direction at the last moment, when focusing on their feet.

I'm not trawling through twitter, but there was a s**t-quality shot from the Ladies stand side that had McNeil with his left left straight leaning towards Rampe at the point of contact.

I reckon the angle from behind the goals (here at 0:30) shows Rampe running mostly along the centre square line, and McNeil with the greater change in direction at the last moment, when focusing on their feet.

What?
Rampe turns in at him then after the block immediately changes direction again to go after the ball.

It was a clearly intentional block. The unintentional bit was the high hit but that shouldnt matter because he chose to bump.

Its as laughable as Cripps getting off because the Tribunal forgot to actually discussed his offence.

The umpires may love the Dogs but the MRO and Tribunal dont. 3 players concussed and noone found responsible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back