Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of this rests on the Coaches directive to "Play on the edge". Everybody's interpretation of that directive will be different.
Some players are intelligent and some are not.
Pretty sure they all interpreted it the same way. This wasn’t the only hit (or attempted hit).

Pretty sure they all interpreted it the same way. This wasn’t the only hit (or attempted hit).
im sure your proud to be a sydney supporter with two of your players crying that essendon were to rough, it wasnt long ago your captain said we were to soft, they dont seem to like when other teams play the same way they do

im sure your proud to be a sydney supporter with two of your players crying that essendon were to rough
They noted that Essendon were taking cheap shots. I know you guys are desperately looking for something to salvage out of this game, but Heeney and Papley saying "They're trying / tried to be tough" isn't them crying.

They noted that Essendon were taking cheap shots. I know you guys are desperately looking for something to salvage out of this game, but Heeney and Papley saying "They're trying / tried to be tough" isn't them crying.
they absolutely were, meanwhile sydneys cheap shots went "unnoticed"

im sure your proud to be a sydney supporter with two of your players crying that essendon were to rough, it wasnt long ago your captain said we were to soft, they dont seem to like when other teams play the same way they do
Lol, they weren't crying about it, they were mocking them.

First the mocking was for being a bit soft
SmartSelect_20240327_192052_Google.jpg

And this time the mocking was for being faux tough. Wright ko'ing a bloke 25kg lighter than him while closing his eyes and balling up into the feotal position because he got a widdle scared in a contest. Hind throwing a flying elbow because he cracked it like a toddler because he had another goal kicked on him. Draper lining up someone again, 25kg and a foot shorter. Coward.

What a pathetic club. Enjoy watching them duke it out for 14th spot with all the other "big vic" clubs this year.

Lol, they weren't crying about it, they were mocking them.

First the mocking was for being a bit soft
View attachment 1941304

And this time the mocking was for being faux tough. Wright ko'ing a bloke 25kg lighter than him while closing his eyes and balling up into the feotal position because he got a widdle scared in a contest. Hind throwing a flying elbow because he cracked it like a toddler because he had another goal kicked on him. Draper lining up someone again, 25kg and a foot shorter. Coward.

What a pathetic club. Enjoy watching them duke it out for 14th spot with all the other "big vic" clubs this year.
Sydney are the judges of hard and soft are they? Never heard such whinging from supposed grown men. More like little boys crying to mummy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that's the photo that shows Wright's shoulder moving forward from the imact of being pushed, which is is actually happening in this incident. What exactly are you trying to prove?
ok, can see your to biased to have further discussion with, enjoy sydneys good form while it lasts

Good discussion. What’s the answer? Ball falling out of the sky, two guys running at each other at high speed to claim it.

Because that’s what happened here.

People say stuff like “just both contest the ball”, which is fairytale stuff. Go down to the park and try it with a mate. It doesn’t happen. It can’t, because you possess self preservation as an instinct.

Do we really want both players seriously injured?

I feel like we’ve kind of (or nearly) solved the ground ball one, because we now seem to to have both opposing players getting sideways and taking contact rather than leading with their head.

What about opposing players in the air? Because unless one of them pulls out, at least one of them is getting injured. And perhaps both.

Is there a simple right-of-way answer?

McGuire is also right in what he’s saying about what modern players need to do. For all the bullshit of “the tough old days”, players didn’t go back with the flight like this often.

They’ve been trained to as a result of having 20 cameras on them every time they’re near the ball and called soft if they don’t.

And in the old days, players were smaller and slower. They didn’t hit as hard as often.

If the goal is less injuries, then there needs to be an adjustment.

I have lost total confidence in Dillon and Kane administering the sport they need to go now before more damage is done. Need AFL people guiding this code preferably ex players. There is no way you can suspend a player 4 weeks for a player keeping eyes on the ball that occurs into an incidental football collision. You can't do that - players should be allowed to hunt the ball. Make helmets mandatory but stop punishing players for football incidents

Do we really want both players seriously injured?
Do we have any examples anywhere of a player arriving second to the ball in the manner of Wright getting injured as a result of attempting a mark or spoil? I keep reading it was a fait accompli that he would be injured if he spoiled or did literally anything other than turning his shoulder into Cunningham's head and I can't think of a situation even vaguely similar where this occured.

I have lost total confidence in Dillon and Kane administering the sport they need to go now before more damage is done. Need AFL people guiding this code preferably ex players. There is no way you can suspend a player 4 weeks for a player keeping eyes on the ball that occurs into an incidental football collision. You can't do that - players should be allowed to hunt the ball. Make helmets mandatory but stop punishing players for football incidents

Things have changed in that we don’t accept contact to the head any more.

That’s ok, but the rules need to be clear to support that. A player needs to know when he can go and when he can’t.

There is a difference between tough footy and snipey footy. We just knew the difference and took advantage of your loss of focus. You want to waste energy sniping, fine, then expect to lose at least one player a week to suspension and nearly all your games.

Proud of my team for keeping their focus and playing you off you're feet.

You can be proud of your team too... not sure what of but good on you

Things have changed in that we don’t accept contact to the head any more.

That’s ok, but the rules need to be clear to support that. A player needs to know when he can go and when he can’t.

Sure why not - make it into a non contact sport

I mean players weights have been taken off the grid why not contact.

I love the AFL - but these administrators need to go now

I never seen a football incident or training session where trying to mark the ball with their hip is encouraged. Please share the footage, this could be a world first.

Back