Harry McKay hit on Harry Sheezel

Remove this Banner Ad

I read it. And...?
I've seen plenty of good contests like this where players charge at the ball from opposite directions and both manage to contest the ball without injury, suspension or free kicks conceded.
You want to use the worst example as the only other potential outcome.
There was one in particular in our game against GWS (I think) that involved Hollands and another young player that I can't remember.
Both played the ball hard, both bent down to pick it up. Both turned their bodies as they met the contest. Neither got hurt. The commentators mentioned how it was a great contest and how they both used their bodies well. It can be done and could have here.
This is fine when you have both players aware of the situation.

If he'd followed through it's 6+ weeks. I don't for the life of me understand why he had his arms up there.

But thankfully he didn't follow through and the contract was incidental.

Do you deserve a week for doing something stupid and 99% pulling out at the last moment? I'm not sure. I sort of think it should be a fine and the AFL tell him he's a ******* idiot and they'll throw the book at him if he goes to clean up an opponent like that again.

Woods says it's fair the impact be graded medium.

"When you take momentum and positioning that I've gone through, the momentum and positioning, meant there was real potential to cause a serious injury to Sheezel," Woods said.

He suggests there's a risk of a neck injury or concussion.

"It could easily have been, accidentally, slightly higher and Sheezel could have sustained a concussion. Thankfully that didn't happen. They're clear and present risks.

"It's appropriate, given what guidelines, that it should be medium, due to the nature and extent the action risked."

How to say you're incompetent without saying you're incompetent.

Absolutely low impact to me. So he should get a fine.

BUT

What annoys me though is this whole “I didn’t have time to react, it was only 0.1 of a second”.

How fast did he throw his arms up after? Players act like they don’t do things on instinct or reflex, which you easily do in sub 0.1 second.

We hear it every week. No time to react. They all react pretty quickly when it’s a goal beckoning..

If he'd followed through it's 6+ weeks. I don't for the life of me understand why he had his arms up there.

But thankfully he didn't follow through and the contract was incidental.

Do you deserve a week for doing something stupid and 99% pulling out at the last moment? I'm not sure. I sort of think it should be a fine and the AFL tell him he's a ******* idiot and they'll throw the book at him if he goes to clean up an opponent like that again.

“To affect the kick”

Just a bizarre incident lol I have no idea how he thought he was going to - I.e. it’s clearly bullshit because he was so late.

He 100% is lucky he didn’t run through him because everything else about it was dumb as *. Didn’t get near him, was well late, kick was fine.

Honestly not sure how that’s not called intentional.

I can see it that if you slip up from a shoulder it was just careless - intentional is reserved for a deliberate act landing where it was intended.

Not many are intentional these days.

McKay I would say didn’t intentionally get him in the head - it was every synonym of clumsy/sloppy, but I think he did just aim to be physical at the body.

On the flip side, I don’t think tall players should get away with more things because of their height as the Carlton lawyer seems to think 😂 not that it applies here but what a ridiculous point to make

“To affect the kick”

Just a bizarre incident lol I have no idea how he thought he was going to - I.e. it’s clearly bullshit because he was so late.

He 100% is lucky he didn’t run through him because everything else about it was dumb as *. Didn’t get near him, was well late, kick was fine.
He wasn't that late.

“To affect the kick”

He 100% is lucky he didn’t run through him because everything else about it was dumb as *. Didn’t get near him, was well late, kick was fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton Fc Celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

common sense prevails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back