MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard one to gauge where it will be called.

Won’t be intentional as he went to just get in his path and block his run to clear space. Wasn’t looking at him and just had his arm raised. careless or just an unintentional action that happens countless times a game?

Didn’t leave the ground or make contact to the head with his shoulder etc or bump with any force.

Doesn’t seem like a hard knock with the arm but just must have hit just in the wrong spot.

Given Ridley went off with concussion I’m sure he will get a week but not seeing it being worth any more then that.

Didn’t line him up or purposely hit him high.

Will be a week though due to the concussion.

Would argue McKay elbowing a player in the back of the head a few weeks back was more deliberate than this. That wasn’t even a suspension. But given Ridley was out here, 1 week seems reasonable.

High contact, careless, medium. 1 week

Off the ball. Real tough NOT. Intentional. High. Careless. 2-4 weeks juice boy

Hard to see what even hit Ridley to know if intentional or careless but it has to be minimum 2 weeks given it was off the ball.

Hitting a player off the ball and they get up and its still often a week.

No, its not, only for Port supporters. Intentional because it's off the ball, high, and either high or severe impact, straight to the tribunal 3-4 weeks. No other outcome possible.

He didn’t intentionally hit him high so won’t be graded intentional. Very few hits ever get graded as intentional regardless of where it happens.

Doubt it’s high impact as well and certainly won’t be severe considering Ridley got up and went off.

Was a loose arm that got him high going for a block, nothing more.

I think you would be having a pull from Juniors bong if you think he didn't leave the ground. Ridley is 6.5foot junior 5.6 plenty of intent and he was concussed. Precedent has been set, any head contact straight to tribunal 3 to 4.

It's off the ball its intentional.
No that's not true at all.

It is the trailing arm that makes contact and causes the damage, Rioli isn't even looking at him at that stage. The arm isn't swinging. It's a freak accident.

It will be careless, high and high.

It will be careless, high and high.

Which is straight to the tribunal regardless, 3+, so you're wasting your breath arguing.

No that's not true at all.

He left the ground, it's intentional.

There is not one element of this charge that can be disputed except weather impact is high or severe. It's going straight to the tribunal regardless.

He left the ground, it's intentional.

There is not one element of this charge that can be disputed except weather impact is high or severe. It's going straight to the tribunal regardless.
Him leaving the ground is irrelevant, it's the trailing arm that hits and he's on the ground at that point. Jumping earlier doesn't matter.

Intent still matters, as it will impact how many weeks the tribunal will give him. (as well severe vs high)

It appears to be a glancing blow, so for me it's high.

Just an unfortunate accident but will likely be 3 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett has tried to lay a legitimate tackle on a player in possession of the ball and possibly being a bit clumsy has cost him a week (no ill-effects whatsoever from said tackle btw). Melbourne get a free kick.

Rioli clips a player high and off the ball and concusses him. Out of the game. Not even a free kick to Essendon.

If the system deems both of these actions worthy of exactly the same punishment, then the system is broken.

Merrett has tried to lay a legitimate tackle on a player in possession of the ball and possibly being a bit clumsy has cost him a week (no ill-effects whatsoever from said tackle btw). Melbourne get a free kick.

Rioli clips a player high and off the ball and concusses him. Out of the game. Not even a free kick to Essendon.

If the system deems both of these actions worthy of exactly the same punishment, then the system is broken.
TBF, the umps probably didn't see it.

But from the precedents set this year, he has to get 3 weeks at least.

If he has made contact with Ridley's head after initiating contact off the ball and concussed him, it has to be multiple weeks. Careless, high contact, high impact you would think, and I presume that is 2 weeks.
Yup that's how I see it. It's careless, not intentional as some are suggesting.

Yup that's how I see it. It's careless, not intentional as some are suggesting.

To be fair none of us can know for certain what Rioli's intention was.

Not saying Rioli did this but(in fact I am confident he didn't) but it is possible a player could do a borderline action with the intention of having a chance to injure an opponent. Like the old "make him earn it" mantra from my playing days.

This is where the grading system is utter rubbish. It declares an act either intentional or careless relying solely on the MRO guessing what the player's intention is. Without asking the player who committed the act!

On the issue of intention, if there is any doubt, the MRO should at the very least be interviewing the player about his intention, and taking his explanation into account before making his mind up. A simple phone call would suffice. On the issue of where contact is made and the level of impact, the player who was struck should also be worth a call.

And from there the system needs to be nuanced enough to differentiate between different levels of carelessness and/or intent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back