MRP / Trib. Hunter on Rozee hit

Remove this Banner Ad

And Rozee put himself at risk by diving at the ball head first.

If Rozee hit Hunter's legs in the same scenario is it a free kick to Hunter ?
Rozee doesn't dive. He reaches down to pick up/tap the ball on with his right hand. Hunter doesn't end up going for the ball.

I don't know how it would be ruled if he hit his legs, but it must be tough to be a footballer to know what the right action is in such a short time.

Rozee doesn't dive. He reaches down to pick up/tap the ball on with his right hand. Hunter doesn't end up going for the ball.

I don't know how it would be ruled if he hit his legs, but it must be tough to be a footballer to know what the right action is in such a short time.

And then be punished based on the slow-motion review.

Should be reduced to a fine, the MRO really has something against Melbourne players at the moment, two shockers in three weeks. Wasting everyone’s time having to take this to the tribunal. If anything Port should be asked why a clearly dazed player is still allowed to go without a HIA?

I thought Hunter did everything right to protect himself in an approaching collision. He turned side on to position himself to gather the ball whilst protecting himself and wasn't moving forward to only deliver a bump.

Wrong decision to report him in my view.

Exactly, turn side on. It's almost sending the wrong message by suspending him.

Should be reduced to a fine, the MRO really has something against Melbourne players at the moment, two shockers in three weeks. Wasting everyone’s time having to take this to the tribunal. If anything Port should be asked why a clearly dazed player is still allowed to go without a HIA?

So Viney got done for sliding in feet first?

Or is he just following a (flawed) template when handing out penalties ?

At what point do we start to say that the player who gets hit in the head has to take some ownership of protecting themselves?

Diving head first into getting a ground ball in the wet is stupid, but if they try to protect their head by turning their bodies sidewards (which hunter did) they get suspended.

Its ******* stupid. Don't protect yourself (good), protect yourself (bad)

So Viney got done for sliding in feet first?

Or is he just following a (flawed) template when handing out penalties ?
imo Viney should have copped a week and hunter should have got off

Vineys was much worse

imo Viney should have copped a week and hunter should have got off

Vineys was much worse

For sure. How does "potential to cause injury" not apply to that slide tackle?

He can claim he slid in feet first to kick the ball but that just isnt on and hasnt been on for over a decade.

On first viewing, I put that entirely on Rozee.

He's still at fault here, leading with the head is stupid.

BUT, there is an angle that shows Hunter never look at the ball. The ball actually goes past him because he's too busy watching Rozee.

I think he's just misjudged the timing, and had he went the ball, he'd probably have collected it by the time Rozee gets there.

It's tough because he has to make a split second decision and get it right. But, whilst trying to protect himself, he takes his eyes off the ball and he puts Rozee at risk.
I don't really get this "takes his eye off the ball" argument - surely when you're running flat out at a ground ball with an opponent coming in the opposite direction, in pelting rain mind you, you have to take your eye off the ball at some point to ensure you don't just crash into each other head on at full pace? I can understand if someone just lines an opponent up and shirtfronts him but Hunter turned his body and was relatively stationary at the point of impact.

He can claim he slid in feet first to kick the ball but that just isnt on and hasnt been on for over a decade.

It's that action that originally started the booing against Goodes. He did it twice in quick succession and got off both times.

In any other era Hunter would have ran straight through Rozee. Intent was clearly on the man and to make body contact via a bump/shepherd, and then win try and win the ball. The entire action the AFL is trying to stamp out when it involves high contact.

The duty of care is also on Hunter to protect any player in a vulnerable position, ie whos head was already down and over the ball.

Lucky to only get 1 week.

I don't really get this "takes his eye off the ball" argument - surely when you're running flat out at a ground ball with an opponent coming in the opposite direction, in pelting rain mind you, you have to take your eye off the ball at some point to ensure you don't just crash into each other head on at full pace? I can understand if someone just lines an opponent up and shirtfronts him but Hunter turned his body and was relatively stationary at the point of impact.

I'm not saying he took his eyes of the ball for a moment, i'm saying he took his eyes off the ball the entire time. He basically forgot about the ball, which is why it went past him. He had opportunity to gather but made no attempt.

That for me is the key difference between this and the Rankine incident.

I'm not saying he took his eyes of the ball for a moment, i'm saying he took his eyes off the ball the entire time. He basically forgot about the ball, which is why it went past him. He had opportunity to gather but made no attempt.

That for me is the key difference between this and the Rankine incident.
That wasn't what I saw but happy to be shown another angle which may show that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wasn't what I saw but happy to be shown another angle which may show that.

From about 50 seconds onwards. Lewis is trying to get him off (former Demon), but I agree with Eddie Betts here, and if you look at the ball, it's gone past and between his legs. He makes no effort to pick it up or even look at it when it's in the exact position he would want it to be when picking it up.

Like I said, first viewing I thought he's contesting the ball and there should be no report. But that angle there is what gets him the week.

I think this should be a fine at most, the differences between this and the Rankine incident are there for all to see, but they’re not so different that one should result in a suspension whilst the other is nothing.

There's two worrying trends in the AFL currently. The first is players not fully taking possession of the ball and shunting it off their body like a double amputee - is awful to watch and the AFL haven't figured out how to adjudicate it. The second is players leading with their head knowing that if they don't win the ball it will at least be a free kick. I think Dees will lose on appeal but honestly not sure what else Hunter could've done here except get out of the way and lose the contest -

"I'm going to drop my head like this, and if you get suspended its your own fault!"

837769.jpeg

I think Dees will lose on appeal but honestly not sure what else Hunter could've done here except get out of the way and lose the contest -

His alternative was to contest the ball. If he is picking up the ball when Rozee slams into him, there's no suspension. It is literally the only difference between this and Rankine, and is why one got off, and the other got a week.

His alternative was to contest the ball. If he is picking up the ball when Rozee slams into him, there's no suspension. It is literally the only difference between this and Rankine, and is why one got off, and the other got a week.

He did win the ball.

It's crazy. No worries unless you break someones leg and they're out for 12 months. It would have been a straight red card in soccer.

A week is fair. No malice, but you can't run up to a contest where an opponent has his head over the ball and slam your hip into his head. You have to take action to avoid doing that.

"What else could he have done" is a ridiculous comment. These sorts of contests happen all game every game. It's your responsibility as a player to not hit people to the head with force. He could have played the ball, corralled Rozee, tried to lay a tackle. I think he's ultimately misjudged the contest fractionally, gone in too hard and too late and ended up collecting Rozee high. That's a week.

If Rozee was concussion prone based on the AFL's ridiculous outcome over action rules, he'd probably be looking at 3-4.

There's two worrying trends in the AFL currently. The first is players not fully taking possession of the ball and shunting it off their body like a double amputee - is awful to watch and the AFL haven't figured out how to adjudicate it. The second is players leading with their head knowing that if they don't win the ball it will at least be a free kick. I think Dees will lose on appeal but honestly not sure what else Hunter could've done here except get out of the way and lose the contest -

"I'm going to drop my head like this, and if you get suspended its your own fault!"

View attachment 1693835

In a game where your players seemed intent on tackling with a swinging arm to the head and Viney could have been cited multiple times for amongst other things, trying to break someone's leg, the fact that you're trying to blame Rozee for your player not even bothering to bend down to contest the ball says more about you and your supporter base than it does about Rozee. He was 2nd to the ball, he ran full tilt, didn't lower his body, and then 'braces' about 0.0001 seconds before making contact. Rozee was always going to get to the ball first and was always going to lower his body to collect or move the ball on because if he kicked it he likely would have tripped Hunter, or broken his own leg. The fact that Melbourne flogs have been trying on the 'he did it to himself' and 'he flopped' demonstrates an embarrassing understanding of the game/ lack of humility of getting beaten. It's been part of the game for years. Shaun Burgoyne got 3 weeks for hitting Sam Mitchell with his arse ... in 2009. So we have to put up with Melbourne flogs arguing Rozee getting bumped in the neck/head is his own fault on this thread while arguing Tom Jonas's suspension is totally fine in the other. Basically, Port players should have just ceded right of way and let Melbourne players waltz straight through them.

Noone should be blaming Rozee for going hard over the ball and tracking its line.

Noone should be blaming hunter for not jumping out of the way of the ball just because there is a player cannoning in behind it.

The thing that is not as clear on either of those angles is that the ball was coming directly towards Hunter at the time, he stopped and propped so he could pick it up and then Rozee crashed into him. The reason he wasn't bending over the ball is because it (and Rozee) got too him too quickly.

Just an accidental head knock during a standard football action. If they drum up the "elected to bump" line this time they are clearly just clawing at any avenue to find a punishment for every head knock.

I’m stunned that anyone can defend Hunter here.

Turned his body, sure. But was never going for the ball.
Hunter stays in an upright position the entire time, whilst the ball is never above shin level at any time,

Im more interested that Vineyard gets away with a deliberate hit on Boak (a fine at least) or Petracca with a feet-first slide tackle befitting back yard Slip n Slide.

2ADBDDCB-DA39-4CDB-8F60-6F4AE7EB9B0E.jpeg

I’m stunned that anyone can defend Hunter here.

Turned his body, sure. But was never going for the ball.
Hunter stays in an upright position the entire time, whilst the ball is never above shin level at any time,

Im more interested that Vineyard gets away with a deliberate hit on Boak (a fine at least) or Petracca with a feet-first slide tackle befitting back yard Slip n Slide.

View attachment 1694400
I know he´s italian and italians like soccer but that was Viney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back