MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

If 2 players from the same side are running full speed to contest the ball without seeing one another and concuss each other, will they both get suspended due to the AFLs new concussions rules? I know it's a crazy hypothetical but how is it any different if both players from opposing teams don't see each other prior to making contact?
If neither player has made an effort to brace/bump before contact, neither would be suspended.
I remember starting out as a 4 year old doing training in the
Junior League and it was drummed into us as kids - Keep your eyes on the ball!

Well that approach to Junior coaching will have to change from now on by the looks of these tribunal decisions.
Nonsense. Mansell didn't keep his eyes on the ball. If he did, he would have been fine.

What a joke, full speed, 1-2 meters from contest and AFL says he should not have braced to protect for impact, how can Mansell predict Aish wasn't going to brace for the contest...

Players must be aware a hit can occur in a 50-50 contest
Surely you mean they must be aware contact can occur. A hit, i.e. a drive-by like Mansell's, is certainly not what they should be expecting these days.

Another shithouse ruling by the AFL/tribunal. Very similar to the Hunter/Rozee incident a couple of weeks back. Both players going for the ball at full tilt (in slippery conditions), one gets there first and the other player has to turn their bodies to protect/brace and avoid a head on collision.

Mansell didn't line him up, his sole objective was the footy. The AFL has lost the plot, it's not like he came in elbows raised like in the good old days.

I’ll pay that :laughing:. Seriously though, it defies belief that Mansell cops the same punishment as Jordan De Goey and one more week than Kysaiah Pickett. On both of those occasions, the ball was never in dispute and they only elected to bump after the opposition had already disposed of the ball and therefore were completely avoidable and in addition, it could hardly be argued that the victims should have reasonably expected contact and irrespective, had the time to brace themselves for it.

In contrast, Mansell and Aish were both pursuing a loose ball from opposite directions and this was clearly the sole objective of both players right up to the very last moment where it became apparent that Aish was going to arrive a fraction of second earlier and by which stage, contact was completely unavoidable and accordingly, Mansell braced himself for contact (an entirely different proposition to electing to bump) whilst it could be argued that Aish could have done more to protect himself in as much as that he didn’t rotate his body so that he too was side-on.

Even though I had anticipated such a ridiculous verdict leading into the hearing, you nevertheless are still gobsmacked when the Tribunal assesses both Mansell & De Goey to be of equal culpability and 50% more than the sentence imposed on Kossie Pickett. It is also completely ignores their very own reasons for exonerating Dangerfield for his hit on Nick Vlastuin during the opening minutes of the 2020 Grand Final: "The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions … It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."
Saints are appealing the suspension

If neither player has made an effort to brace/bump before contact, neither would be suspended.

Nonsense. Mansell didn't keep his eyes on the ball. If he did, he would have been fine.

Surely you mean they must be aware contact can occur. A hit, i.e. a drive-by like Mansell's, is certainly not what they should be expecting these days.
I've seen drive-bys and this doesn't remotely resemble one Reg. Not in the slightest.

I’ll pay that :laughing:. Seriously though, it defies belief that Mansell cops the same punishment as Jordan De Goey and one more week than Kysaiah Pickett. On both of those occasions, the ball was never in dispute and they only elected to bump after the opposition had already disposed of the ball and therefore were completely avoidable and in addition, it could hardly be argued that the victims should have reasonably expected contact and irrespective, had the time to brace themselves for it.

Yep - that was the bit I struggle with. Looks all the world for me that he chose to brace for impact rather than choosing to bump. In hindsight, the Pickett suspension was a joke. But this is what happens when outcome is prioritised over action.

I've seen drive-bys and this doesn't remotely resemble one Reg. Not in the slightest.
Not a bad one by any means, but we're not living in the grand old days anymore. Mansell made the split-second decision to iron Aish out and I'm not impressed with the elbow lift. Could have done a lot of damage.

Not a bad one by any means, but we're not living in the grand old days anymore. Mansell made the split-second decision to iron Aish out and I'm not impressed with the elbow lift. Could have done a lot of damage.

Mansell didn’t deviate from his run at the ball… eyes on the ball.. Aish literally ran straight aswell …
2 players collided … BS decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mansell didn’t deviate from his run at the ball… eyes on the ball.. Aish literally ran straight aswell …
2 players collided … BS decision
OIP.jaOkmWcvk17pH3KPRh3fWwHaGT

We've done the whole eyes on the ball thing already. Keep up.

That's a protective action mate. Run as fast as you can at a wall and test out your reflexes. It's instinctive to protect yourself from contact.

The game is really struggling with delineating between football actions and deliberate acts, and I know it's a fine line. This was clearly a football action, and the vast majority of people in here can see that.

2020 GF Dangerflop on Vlas…. Nothing
Mate most agree this suspension is BS by the tribunal. Nothing Mansell could do really and them expecting him to do something different is ludicrous.

As is bringing up another incident that rightfully had no suspension. Dangerfield tapped the ball, was pushed into Vlastuin by the opponent behind him and made incidental contact. It happens in footy. That so many Tigers fans still scream blue murder he should have got done is utterly ridiculous.

Mansell should get challenge as this is crap btw

Nothing Mansell could do really and them expecting him to do something different is ludicrous.
Spot on exactly.

Mansell is getting a 3 week ban literally due to the bounce of the ball, if it had bounced differently a concussion may not have been the outcome.

It's akin to Saints fans punishing Stephen Milne for misjudging the bounce of ball in the final moments 2010 Grand Final.

It's ridiculous that Mansell got 3 weeks. Richmond should appeal and have this terrible decision overturned.

Spot on exactly.

Mansell is getting a 3 week ban literally due to the bounce of the ball, if it had bounced differently a concussion may not have been the outcome.

It's akin to Saints fans punishing Stephen Milne for misjudging the bounce of ball in the final moments 2010 Grand Final.

It's ridiculous that Mansell got 3 weeks. Richmond should appeal and have this terrible decision overturned.

What’s worse is they took the medical report into account and that he was likely to miss more than the mandatory 1 week
What they didn’t say is that Fremantle were taking a cautious approach due to aish having undergone a series of head knocks and subsequent concussions
Would have copped 1 week but 3 really sucks

That's a protective action mate. Run as fast as you can at a wall and test out your reflexes. It's instinctive to protect yourself from contact.
I'm not running at the wall with my elbow out, that's for sure. I'm going to tuck it in, nice and tight then lean down and into the contact. I've done it a few times already, so I know.
The game is really struggling with delineating between football actions and deliberate acts, and I know it's a fine line. This was clearly a football action, and the vast majority of people in here can see that.
So it was a football action, so what? He'll learn to do it without collecting somebody in the head next time, or he'll stop doing it.

I'm not running at the wall with my elbow out, that's for sure. I'm going to tuck it in, nice and tight then lean down and into the contact. I've done it a few times already, so I know.

So it was a football action, so what? He'll learn to do it without collecting somebody in the head next time, or he'll stop doing it.
Fine. Don’t go complaining when it’s your player getting rubbed out.

Fine. Don’t go complaining when it’s your player getting rubbed out.
Like Jaeger O'Meara did for dragging a guy onto the ground who didn't even hit his head? Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back