MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

Based on precedent, I'm expecting 1 week, 2 if Aish is concussed.

I am interested to see that, if he is suspended, whether we argue that the bounce of the ball is an influence. Clearly from the replay, the ball bounces back towards Aish at the very end. If the bounce goes the otherway, Mansell is probably first to get his hands on the ball instead, which would mean he wouldn't be suspended at all.

Does anyone know if he touched the head at all ?

Clearly did, the headband came off. 1 week upgraded to 2 when you see how violently the headband came off.

I don't think Mansell had any viable alternative. You have to be able to brace for contact at speed where you realise you and an opponent are arriving at the ball simultaneously. From there it just comes down to whether you fail a duty of care to the opponent. I don't think he has. Mansell has executed an action that is capable of being legal.

The only thing he could have done in the alternative is slow down approaching the contest but then you could say the same for Aish. You then have to say why one would have the right of way over the other.

Interestingly, when Mansell was on the other end of one a bit like this in his first season, the whole world was saying it was up to Mansell to protect himself and no way should Selwood be suspended for simply bracing correctly for a contest. Mansell from memory was concussed. No free, no report. What would be the essential difference between that incident and this?

What would be the essential difference between that incident and this?

The difference is the sh*t that the AFL currently finds itself in, where they have gone to the stance that all the onus is on the tackler, Selwood in the video, Mansell in this case, and that they have become hypersensitive to the issue.

Selwood would be getting 2 weeks for that bump if it happened this season.

The difference is the sh*t that the AFL currently finds itself in, where they have gone to the stance that all the onus is on the tackler, Selwood in the video, Mansell in this case, and that they have become hypersensitive to the issue.

Selwood would be getting 2 weeks for that bump if it happened this season.

I don't think he would. I think the onus is on both players to approach an inevitable collision as if there is a collision imminent. Mansell/Selwood did, Aish/Mansell did not.

I recall Hardwick saying after the Selwood bump Mansell needs to approach that contest differently and he will learn to do that. He learned, he went side on tonight, exactly as he should have in the first one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked a good bump to be honest, not sure what else he could have done so close to impact…

Just had a closer look at it now. Aish did brace himself a little as well as trying to collect the ball. I don't think either player has really done anything wrong it is just a collision that will occur at times. Hopefully Aish is fine.

Just had a closer look at it now. Aish did brace himself a little as well as trying to collect the ball. I don't think either player has really done anything wrong it is just a collision that will occur at times. Hopefully Aish is fine.

Agreed. What are they supposed to do? Jump out the way?

Yes I agree. No malice, both attacking the ball.. Football collision and sometimes they are completely unavoidable.

Would lol if he gets a week AND the headband is actually mentioned- sadly I can see a one weeker coming though.

AFL lurching uncontrolled into huge overreaction territory when it comes to accidental head contact at the moment.

I look forward to the million slowmo replays to try convince us that players should make the best decision at .5 seconds warning, and the successful appeal on Thursday night.

Nothing in this. both going for the ball and turned his body at the last second.

I guess the AFL would prefer he didn't turn his body and we have a head clash with both players laid out on the turf. I guess that would make it a easier sell as accidents happen rather than when only one player is injured.

Referred to tribunal.....
"Both incidents were graded careless, severe impact and high contact and have been sent direct to the Tribunal, with the pair facing a minimum of three weeks each on the sidelines"

"Both incidents were graded careless, severe impact and high contact and have been sent direct to the Tribunal, with the pair facing a minimum of three weeks each on the sidelines"

Doesn't necessarily mean much that the MRO referred it to Tribunal, he also referred Hunter Clark being ironed out in a collision with David McKay where Clarke's jaw was broken. The Tribunal threw it out.

The main difference with this one is that Mansell arrives at the ball slightly later than McKay did. But I cannot see how Mansell can both commit to trying to win the footy and also avoid being involved in a high speed collision, more or less the same equation for McKay. I would be pretty surprised if the Tribunal finds Mansell guilty.

The Mansell report is easily distinguishable from say the DeGoey 3 week penalty bump as DeGoey was not contesting the ball, he applied the bump after the opponent had disposed of the ball.

Mansell's in its nature is much more like the Bontempelli on Houston collision where the MRO issued no report

So for Mansell to get suspended would be out of line with every precedent I can recall. It is not like the Tribunal could fairly say "here is a player who had safer alternatives, but elected to bump his opponent at high speed."

But let's see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Is the game even worth saving if these are the kinds of decisions that are needed to try and stave off concussion lawsuits?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back