MRP / Trib. Caminiti hit on Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

The player's code has been dead for a decade plus, Chappy snitched on Yarran many years back and a there's been a few other examples I can't recall off the top of my head. Not sure why there's so much hate for Murphy here, he not only kept it OG by not snitching, he wrote a statement stating that he slipped and caused the contact to go high. Why have a cry about him mouthing off on the bench? He'd just been concussed and we don't even know what he said.

The player's code has been dead for a decade plus, Chappy snitched on Yarran many years back and a there's been a few other examples I can't recall off the top of my head. Not sure why there's so much hate for Murphy here, he not only kept it OG by not snitching, he wrote a statement stating that he slipped and caused the contact to go high. Why have a cry about him mouthing off on the bench? He'd just been concussed and we don't even know what he said.

I'm just one plonker but I said on our board after the incident I didn't have an issue so much with the bench chat, just the after the game carrying on with it was too much.

But then, again, if he's concussed it might be a bit like Jack Riewoldt that time have a bit of a hissy fit on the bench when he was ruled out after a head knock, maybe he's behaving that way because of the concussion?

This thread is clearly destined for the toilet bowl, but just to try to put something sensible in here.

The obvious answer for the AFL on this one is to ban contact behind play. Whoever does it, whether you're getting in first or retaliating. Anything more than putting an arm across a guy to monitor his position is contact that just isn't needed. If you're 100m from the ball and niggling your man, you'll get caught on camera and you should get fined or suspended.

Removes a whole class of bullshit from the game. Do it AFL.

This thread is clearly destined for the toilet bowl, but just to try to put something sensible in here.

The obvious answer for the AFL on this one is to ban contact behind play. Whoever does it, whether you're getting in first or retaliating. Anything more than putting an arm across a guy to monitor his position is contact that just isn't needed. If you're 100m from the ball and niggling your man, you'll get caught on camera and you should get fined or suspended.

Removes a whole class of bullshit from the game. Do it AFL.

Wasn't this the point of the extra umpire in the first place? Maybe if one did something about the initial hit behind play, none of this would matter and we wouldn't be seeing this embarrassing bigfooty copium overdose

Overall, I think it's a fair result. However I will say, in the past 24 hours I've read some pretty vile s**t from both Collingwood and Saints supporters directed to Caminiti and Murphy, particularly on the live tribunal blog. Murphy did what he thought was right and stuck up for Caminiti in this situation, so hats of to him and respect to him for that. I wish him all the best with his recovery. And Caminiti isn't a "thug", anyone with half a brain could see he never intended to make high contact. I do think the not intentional argument was a bit much, it was clearly retaliatory in my eyes, I still think 3 weeks is fair given that the high itself was clearly not intentional however.

Either way, anyone targeting either of these players makes the rest of the supporters look bad. We can do better than that. Should Murphy have hit Caminiti off the ball and insitgated? No. Should Caminiti have retaliated? No. It lead to an accident. Both fairly young players, both made a mistake, both will learn from it. As others above have said, the solution is to crack down on off the ball hits in general, regardless of whether they lead to injury or not. No need for it, it shouldn't happen. It just creates situations like this.

Last edited:
Some wildly off topic stuff (some of it just downright gross) has now been removed from this thread folks. If you're going to post in here, make it about the Caminiti case only... and hey, maybe even try to be nice to each other while you're at it :$

Random/off topic/nasty or abusive stuff from this point onwards is the quickest way to a threadban.

Overall, I think it's a fair result. However I will say, in the past 24 hours I've read some pretty vile s**t from both Collingwood and Saints supporters directed to Caminiti and Murphy, particularly on the live tribunal blog. Murphy did what he thought was right and stuck up for Caminiti in this situation, so hats of to him and respect to him for that. I wish him all the best with his recovery. And Caminiti isn't a "thug", anyone with half a brain could see he never intended to make high contact. I do think the not intentional argument was a bit much, it was clearly retaliatory in my eyes, I still think 3 weeks is fair given that the high itself was clearly not intentional however.

Either way, anyone targeting either of these players makes the rest of the supporters look bad. We can do better than that. Should Murphy have hit Caminiti off the ball and insitgated? No. Should Caminiti have retaliated? No. It lead to an accident. Both fairly young players, both made a mistake, both will learn from it. As others above have said, the solution is to crack down on off the ball hits in general, regardless of whether they lead to injury or not. No need for it, it shouldn't happen.
Sensible post. This thread has been crazy toxic and over a fairly serious issue. Concussion has been linked with all kinds of horrible s**t including homicide and suicide. I'm not saying that to have a go at Caminiti, I have posted earlier in this thread that I agreed that he did not intend to hit Murphy high and that I thought 2 weeks would be fair (I have seen since that Buckley suggested the same). I was happy that Murphy made a statement in defense if Caminiti, he's clearly happy to leave it on the field. It is still a serious and important conversation to have.

Does this board not have a single moderator?

Edit, I see a mod from a neutral team has arrived, kudos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensible post. This thread has been crazy toxic and over a fairly serious issue. Concussion has been linked with all kinds of horrible s**t including homicide and suicide. I'm not saying that to have a go at Caminiti, I have posted earlier in this thread that I agreed that he did not intend to hit Murphy high and that I thought 2 weeks would be fair (I have seen since that Buckley suggested the same). I was happy that Murphy made a statement in defense if Caminiti, he's clearly happy to leave it on the field. It is still a serious and important conversation to have.

Does this board not have a single moderator?

Edit, I see a mod from a neutral team has arrived, kudos.
Yeah but here's the thing... Murphy completely started this. What he did to Caminati is not ok, this bit is being overlooked by AFL

This has been a long time coming. How often do you see players duck to stage for free kicks off the ball? A few times a week at least?

Caminiti will be rightly suspended but there is not doubt he would have hit him in the chest if Murphy wasn’t searching for a free.

Hilarious that anyone actually thinks he's, "ducked" to try and milk a free kick.

If Murphy truly believed he got hit high because he slipped he wouldn't have been so upset about it at the time. He's just doing the players' code thing.
Yeah nah, or he saw the footage afterwards and realised that it was obviously not intentional to get him high from Caminiti. No way he would provide a statement to confirm he slipped if he was still ropable. Players code doesn’t exist in that way anymore. Also possible his behaviour after the game was due to the concussion as well. Although more likely that he genuinely thought Caminiti had intentionally punched him in the head and with his history of concussion was pissed off, which is fair enough to. Glad that it has been put to bed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back