MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

So apparently bracing for impact constitutes a bump. I could accept these bans being upheld if there were at least a tiny bit of ******* logic applied to them.
The AFLs/Tribunals/MRPs reasoning is utterly dumbfounding in these cases.

The AFL would rather 2 players get concussed over only one player getting concussed. Because they can always explain away unavoidable accidents during their negligence lawsuits.

I love that you've tried to prove your point using a frame with so much motion blur, essentially confirming it was a split second thing. Good job 👍
I love how you felt the need to bring that up, even though I had already said earlier itt that it was a split-second thing. Are you not paying attention?
Your brain works that quickly does it? Are you Neo?
No, but apparently your thug's brain was quick enough to think of lifting his elbow.

I love how you felt the need to bring that up, even though I had already said earlier itt that it was a split-second thing. Are you not paying attention?
No, but apparently your thug's brain was quick enough to think of lifting his elbow.
So you're happy for a (in your own words) split second decision to brace for contact after running full speed for the ball, to receive the same punishment as a De Goey premeditated, leaving the ground bump on a player who has already disposed of the ball? Fair enough.

How do you suggest he brace for contact if not to raise (and tuck) his elbow?

I'm a thug brain. That's a new one. What does that mean?

So you're happy for a (in your own words) split second decision to brace for contact after running full speed for the ball, to receive the same punishment as a De Goey premeditated, leaving the ground bump on a player who has already disposed of the ball? Fair enough.
I made no such assertion.
How do you suggest he brace for contact if not to raise (and tuck) his elbow?
Raising and tucking are two different actions. One is the right way, the other is not.
I'm a thug brain. That's a new one. What does that mean?
Your thug's brain as in your player's brain i.e. Mansell. My mistake, I assumed you were a Richmond supporter.

I made no such assertion.

Raising and tucking are two different actions. One is the right way, the other is not.

Your thug's brain as in your player's brain i.e. Mansell. My mistake, I assumed you were a Richmond supporter.

Have you ever been in a car accident? How do you think occupants generally brace for impact?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever been in a car accident? How do you think occupants generally brace for impact?
Yes, I've been in a car accident. We slid out on a gravel road at speed, hit a ditch and rolled five times. Neither of us had seat belts on. We didn't brace for impact at all.

Totally relateable.

Yes, I've been in a car accident. We slid out on a gravel road at speed, hit a ditch and rolled five times. Neither of us had seat belts on. We didn't brace for impact at all.

Totally relateable.

I've been in two but anyway. You didn't answer the question I guess you know the answer.

Generally it's reasonable to extend your arms forward for impact. If you keep them in you could crush them. You also instinctively push arms out for impact whenever your bracing fir accidents, falls, collisions.

What did you think about how Aish attacked the ball? Anything he should do different in his actions?

From the direction Mansell approached this contest he could see Aish first and see there was going to be a collision.
By the time Aish saw Mansell I think it was a split second too late to brace for collision so ended up entering the contest "opened up".

So because Mansell had the opportunity and slight extra time to brace for a contest and the other player didn't he sits out 3 weeks.

It is a 360 degree collision/contact sport. I don't believe Mansell intentionally went in to "shirtfront" or even bump Aish more protect himself in the hope Aish would do the same. Maybe he should have just left himself open and had a possible head on, at least it would have probably just been a 1 week concussion rule.

If you’re going to label a player a thug then you might want to get your facts straight. Firstly, Mansell’s eyes were clearly focused on the ball. Secondly, he did what is incumbent upon all players in a contact sport such as footy and turned his body side-on to brace for unavoidable contact - unlike Aish who reached with his hands whilst dipping his head away from his body (which should have acted as a protective shield) into the danger zone. Finally, Mansell’s elbow is clearly not raised at the point of contact and not even the tribunal thought it relevant.

I thought that it was quite telling how not a single Fremantle player, who were far closer to the incident than either you or I were, came in to remonstrate with Mansell … Why would that be? Probably because as professional footballers who understand the game and particularly the speed & physicality of it at the elite level, understood that it was purely an unavoidable collision that occurs from time to time in our game and nothing more sinister than that.

Attachments

• RM3.JPG
    RM3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 31
  • RM4.JPG
    RM4.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 29
  • RM2.JPG
    RM2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 30
  • RM5.JPG
    RM5.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 30
I've been in two but anyway. You didn't answer the question I guess you know the answer.
I answered both questions. The answers just didn't fit your agenda.
Generally it's reasonable to extend your arms forward for impact. If you keep them in you could crush them. You also instinctively push arms out for impact whenever your bracing fir accidents, falls, collisions.
What on earth are you smoking? Nobody is driving around the football field sitting in a car. Your whole car accident analogy is a train wreck.
What did you think about how Aish attacked the ball? Anything he should do different in his actions?
Nothing. He was the only one with eyes for the ball and I applaud him for it.

Now a decision is made is there room for Mansell to get litigious if he ever gets concussed (or any other injury high on the body) from not protecting himself? The AFL has now said twice that he cannot protect himself. It just seems like they are opening a potential can of worms that they were trying to firmly close.

I answered both questions. The answers just didn't fit your agenda.

What on earth are you smoking? Nobody is driving around the football field sitting in a car. Your whole car accident analogy is a train wreck.

Nothing. He was the only one with eyes for the ball and I applaud him for it.

So your happy for Aish to extend his arms and hit someone on the head next time?

Yeah I'm done with you. You're going on ignore.

If you’re going to label a player a thug then you might want to get your facts straight. Firstly, Mansell’s eyes were clearly focused on the ball. Secondly, he did what is incumbent upon all players in a contact sport such as footy and turned his body side-on to brace for unavoidable contact - unlike Aish who reached with his hands whilst dipping his head away from his body (which should have acted as a protective shield) into the danger zone.
It's incumbent on players to ignore the ball? The whole eyes never left the ball crap is getting old.
Finally, Mansell’s elbow is clearly not raised at the point of contact and not even the tribunal thought it relevant.
Not clearly in the photos you have presented, no. Funny about that.

But in the real world his elbow was raised at the point of impact and it thankfully slid under Aish's jaw.

Mansell on Aish.jpg
I thought that it was quite telling how not a single Fremantle player, who were far closer to the incident than either you or I were, came in to remonstrate with Mansell … Why would that be? Probably because as professional footballers who understand the game and particularly the speed & physicality of it at the elite level, understood that it was purely an unavoidable collision that occurs from time to time in our game and nothing more sinister than that.
Eagles players didn't remonstrate with De Goey either. Why would that be? Probably because as professional footballers who understand the AFL system, they realise that sort of nonsense is also being cracked down on by the AFL

I think what some people don't understand is that if you go back 50 years, the game was much slower, players did not move around the ground, they would stay in their position. Now you see players running 15 kms in a game.

Before you would have players coming off the ball, lining players up, it was completely different and it was not a football action. Those were suspendedable for good reason.

Players now move much faster to contest the ball. The split second reaction required to manoeuvre out of a collision (and I can vouch for this for someone who studies biology) is highly unreasonable to expect players to make quick decisions when the brain cannot process quickly enough how to avoid these collisions, let alone make sure all your limbs don't appear to be showing malice.

Many people that make these comments about how these actions should be suspended, don't understand how quickly a player needs to react. They are basing their judgement incorrectly, and I emphasize INCORRECTLY, on slow motion footage which has been slowed down 10-12 times. They're doing this from the comfort of their seat or couch. They completely MISREPRESENT what a player is required to do in order to avoid contact or brace for contact. I bet most, if not all, of the people like Whateley wanting Mansell suspended have the ability too run at this speed, let alone have the reaction times of these footballers. Yet they feel they can CLEARLY arbitrate on slow motion replay what on players should be doing.

Do you honestly think Mansell thought half a second prior to impact, why not, let me hit Aish and hopefully I'll go take a holiday for three weeks.

Not clearly in the photos you have presented, no. Funny about that.

But in the real world his elbow was raised at the point of impact and it thankfully slid under Aish's jaw.

View attachment 1714163

Eagles players didn't remonstrate with De Goey either. Why would that be? Probably because as professional footballers who understand the AFL system, they realise that sort of nonsense is also being cracked down on by the AFL
im glad you posted these photos because it makes your eyes weren’t on the ball call not true first one eyes clearly on the ball. Now do that whole action at pace and it proves once again how out of touch the MRP are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back