Jordan Boyd on Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I swing an elbow at a guy behind you? Throw a punch? A small fine. (No place in AFL)

Lay a relatively innocuous tackle which results in the head hitting the ground. 3 weeks and no Brownlow (Footy action)

The fact that players like Serong and Merrett are ineligible for Brownlow medal for an accidental footy action whilst people who throw fists aren't is baffling to me.

Decision: 3 games. Haven't heard a peep about it from Dunstall, just goes to show sometimes these experts just like talking garbage.

Nah, the week leading up to this match had all the media salivating for a positive result for Carlton.

I'm not surprised that the commentary team overlooked the incident all together.
However if the roles were reversed, DBJ would have been judged, sentenced and executed before the next passage of play.

Nah, the week leading up to this match had all the media salivating for a positive result for Carlton.

I'm not surprised that the commentary team overlooked the incident all together.
However if the roles were reversed, DBJ would have been judged, sentenced and executed before the next passage of play.
This decision is an absolute joke. The only reason I’m not more outraged about it is because other clubs and players have been handed similar crap this season.

The only thing Boyd did wrong was not be a top 50 player in the game. When he returns in three weeks I hope he tackles with the same intent again.

This decision is an absolute joke. The only reason I’m not more outraged about it is because other clubs and players have been handed similar crap this season.

The only thing Boyd did wrong was not be a top 50 player in the game. When he returns in three weeks I hope he tackles with the same intent again.
If he tackles the same again he will get 3 weeks again. He brings dbj down to his left holding dbj left hand and dbj head goes into ground, its absolutely what the afl are trying to stop. There are hundreds of tackles a week and less than a percent are deemed unacceptable. If the players don't learn from it, then they will end up being penalised. Its hardly a controversial decision.

If he tackles the same again he will get 3 weeks again. He brings dbj down to his left holding dbj left hand and dbj head goes into ground, its absolutely what the afl are trying to stop. There are hundreds of tackles a week and less than a percent are deemed unacceptable. If the players don't learn from it, then they will end up being penalised. Its hardly a controversial decision.

As long as players are getting less punishment for running through blokes with elbows up or throwing punches, this will be controversial.

There would’ve been a dozen worse tackles this week, thankfully none of them resulted in concussion but unfortunately this reasonable tackle did (though they aren’t even sure this was the contest that concussed DBJ). He will tackle the same in three weeks time, no one will get hurt and he will not be cited. Guaranteed.

As long as players are getting less punishment for running through blokes with elbows up or throwing punches, this will be controversial.

There would’ve been a dozen worse tackles this week, thankfully none of them resulted in concussion but unfortunately this reasonable tackle did. He will tackle the same in three weeks time, no one will get hurt and he will not be cited. Guaranteed.
I think thats where people are not understanding the implications of head knocks, a head into the ground has generally more chance of long term consequences than a broken jaw. If the AFL had their time again (and hindsight) they would have cracked down on this years earlier.

There would’ve been a dozen worse tackles this week, thankfully none of them resulted in concussion but unfortunately this reasonable tackle did (though they aren’t even sure this was the contest that concussed DBJ). He will tackle the same in three weeks time, no one will get hurt and he will not be cited. Guaranteed.
I don't watch every game (and i will be honest), the tanking port did in selection and on the field, its amazing i lasted watching the full game on the weekend. Well done Carlton though!

Yep, AFL is on a mission to be seen doing something about concussion. Even if it trashes a fundamental skill in football.

It's going to be cringe worthy when finals come around and the game is played at an elevated intensity where more of these incidents will occur.

There are going to be so many controversial calls probably with high profiled players that could result court action to overturn tribunal decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think thats where people are not understanding the implications of head knocks, a head into the ground has generally more chance of long term consequences than a broken jaw. If the AFL had their time again (and hindsight) they would have cracked down on this years earlier.

I understand exactly why the AFL are doing it and if suspensions like this are what’s required to reduce concussions I will accept it. But suspend Kosi Pickett for 4 and De Goey for 6 if you’re even half serious about it.

No, what he did wrong was slam DBJs head into the turf, causing a concussion. Been illegal for a few years now.

That's odd that you want your players to keep causing concussion. Maybe you should read up on CTE?

There would have been about 500 other tackles on the weekend which didn't get it wrong. Clearly boyd needs to work on his technique.

I would argue the Maynard tackle on Walters that has been replayed ad nauseam on fox footy as one of the great moments of the round is much worse than Boyds tackle. Was just pure luck that Walters wasnt concussed! So on one hand we celebrate a bloke getting dumped head first into the ground while on the other hand rub someone out for 3 weeks for it.

No, what he did wrong was slam DBJs head into the turf, causing a concussion. Been illegal for a few years now.

That's odd that you want your players to keep causing concussion. Maybe you should read up on CTE?

There would have been about 500 other tackles on the weekend which didn't get it wrong. Clearly boyd needs to work on his technique.

There was no slamming. It was a reasonable tackle with an unfortunate result. They aren’t even sure if it was the tackle which caused the concussion.

Read the rest of my posts before aimlessly ranting.

I would argue the Maynard tackle on Walters that has been replayed ad nauseam on fox footy as one of the great moments of the round is much worse than Boyds tackle. Was just pure luck that Walters wasnt concussed! So on one hand we celebrate a bloke getting dumped head first into the ground while on the other hand rub someone out for 3 weeks for it.

Both of Maynard’s tackles in that play were just as bad, Walters arguably worse. It is unfortunate that DBJ were concussed and yes suspend Boyd if you need to look good for lawyers in 5 years time but just show some consistency. You are spot on mate.

Oh there are more Carlton players inline for suspension? Obviously joking. Good to see someone get done for staging, Cripps nearly won best stage of the weekend, but out done in end.
Paying attention to detail not your strong suit, dude litterally tripped over his own feet if you watch it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back