MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

The rules have changed so another Maynard incident will see a suspension, why is that hard for your brain to grasp?

Under the old rules he was innocent, under the new ones i would support him being suspended if he did it again
Yep, we’ve learned that under the old rules Maynard (and others) were allowed to approach a contest at speed recklessly without concern for their opponent. And now they’re not in one specific way.

Any reasonable person can see the difference between Maynard leaping at the ball vs SPP electing to bump the player. I think 4 weeks is excessive given that Keane was being swung in a tackle at the time which likely caused the impact to be higher and more forceful than SPP had intended.

Having said that, these are elite athletes who simply need to adapt. We saw with the rule change about falling into a player's back how quickly 99% of players could adapt. If you elect to bump it is your own responsibility to ensure that you do not hit your opponent in the head. Doing so during the pre season is probably worth the +1 weeks for the stupidity factor.

Run the thought experiment in your head where Maynard had hypothetically been a player for your team and had caused this freak accident while attempting a smother during a final. It is comparing apples with oranges and the AFL have now rightly closed this loophole. Accusing Maynard, who showed immediate remorse, of ending Bradshaw's career is absurd. Why did 1 straw break the camel's back? Because of the million other straws underneath it m8.

Any reasonable person can see the difference between Maynard leaping at the ball vs SPP electing to bump the player. I think 4 weeks is excessive given that Keane was being swung in a tackle at the time which likely caused the impact to be higher and more forceful than SPP had intended.

Having said that, these are elite athletes who simply need to adapt. We saw with the rule change about falling into a player's back how quickly 99% of players could adapt. If you elect to bump it is your own responsibility to ensure that you do not hit your opponent in the head. Doing so during the pre season is probably worth the +1 weeks for the stupidity factor.

Run the thought experiment in your head where Maynard had hypothetically been a player for your team and had caused this freak accident while attempting a smother during a final. It is comparing apples with oranges and the AFL have now rightly closed this loophole. Accusing Maynard, who showed immediate remorse, of ending Bradshaw's career is absurd. Why did 1 straw break the camel's back? Because of the million other straws underneath it m8.
Leaping at the ball

Please

Wow, very rich coming from a West Coast supporter.
I’m not the defending one of our players for sniping an opponent in a practice match, a week after a player was forced into medical retirement.

If a West Coast player did what SPP did, I’d be thankful it was 4 weeks and not more.

Can Pies people stfu about Maynard. And we thought Tigers fans made it all about themselves in every thread, Pies fans showing themselves to be another level of that m
Lol can you read? "Pies people" have only mentioned Maynard in response to Karens like yourself bringing him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 seems right

No need come in at an uncontrollable rate. Fact he copped him high is on SPP...and any player these days.

Best defence afl has against concussion and maintaining contact is to set fairly strict accountability.

So this, maynard incident, sicily tackle, etc. will all come under scrutiny.
Accident/unintentional or not, any instigation of contact will require control so as to avoid concussion.

Ideally the tribunal bars the biomechanist defences moving forward too

The Maynard decision is comparable because both players charged into contests too hard and entirely through their own choice put themselves in a position where heavy contact with a vulnerable player was unavoidable, and then put their shoulder into their opponent's head. SPP didn't "choose to bump" and the tribunal even agreed that he didn't choose to bump, he simply put himself in a position where he was going to make heavy contact and couldn't do anything but brace. Maynard's is the same in that regard.

"The rules have changed" is ridiculous. The rules were plenty to suspend Maynard but the Tribunal will fall over themselves to let a player off if a spot in the Grand Final is on the line.

If 4 is the new standard for this sort of incident, I'm absolutely fine with that. But we all know if this same bump occurred in semi final week, or during the season to a Brownlow favourite, the tribunal probably finds a way to get the player off. The club will challenge it in that scenario and the tribunal will accept basically whatever the club says to avoid rubbing a guy out for a GF or costing him a brownlow.

4 weeks is right, Footy has changed and players have to adapt to the fact that the game is no longer the bone crunching, knock em over, hit em hard game it once was. The team that will win the flag this year will be faster than ever before and disposal skills will have to be at the optimum level. No longer will you hear a coach tell his players to go out there and hit em hard!.
Fights > Skill
Mud > Speed

Bring back the old times, that I missed anyway...

I’m not the defending one of our players for sniping an opponent in a practice match, a week after a player was forced into medical retirement.

If a West Coast player did what SPP did, I’d be thankful it was 4 weeks and not more.
I’m not defending the strike or questioning the suspension, but your personal attack on the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back