MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

Either or.

Don't think it matters TBH.
If you concuss someone and it's found to be outside of the rules, 4 weeks is a good starting point.

Agree and if there’s any fracture it’s 6 weeks plus and don’t pull the good bloke card JDG style

This is perhaps the biggest message I've ever seen AFL make. It was careless but given the speed and fact that his opponent was tackled in his direction. 4 weeks is savage.

This is the benchmark and I don't expect players to adjust well in the short term. Gonna be a lot of players rubbed out this season. Players are going to be expected to avoid contact at all costs.

4 weeks is right, Footy has changed and players have to adapt to the fact that the game is no longer the bone crunching, knock em over, hit em hard game it once was. The team that will win the flag this year will be faster than ever before and disposal skills will have to be at the optimum level. No longer will you hear a coach tell his players to go out there and hit em hard!.

The AFL have definitely backed themselves into a corner. Anyone knocked out cold, even with no malice, or a broken bone now has to be 5 plus.

Next incident will be interesting

Its not the next one. Its the one in R22 or after which will be interesting. Or when its late in the season and a Brownlow favourite.

The AFL couldnt care less how many weeks the average player gets. They can be as tough as they want.

Agree and if there’s any fracture it’s 6 weeks plus and don’t pull the good bloke card JDG style
How De Goey got only 3 last year was a disgrace. If Port supporters want to be outraged about it that is the one they should be comparing it to.

This is perhaps the biggest message I've ever seen AFL make. It was careless but given the speed and fact that his opponent was tackled in his direction. 4 weeks is savage.

This is the benchmark and I don't expect players to adjust well in the short term. Gonna be a lot of players rubbed out this season. Players are going to be expected to avoid contact at all costs.
Except they weren't prepared to be so bold last year on the dodgy Maynard decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be the benchmark.

Until a week from a grand final.

I suppose he was planning to take out Rioli instead then?
Look at the picture below.

Screenshot_20240228-200047_Chrome.jpg

Now, if this was SPP coming straight in on Mark, and Rioli wasn't part of this (no spinning tackle) I'd accept the 4 weeks. But it wasn't. Mark was spun into SPP's line.

That spinning tackle, plus the fact that Mark tripped on Rioli's foot just before the collision (easy to see in slo-mo replay) made Mark's head a lot lower than usual. Look how low SPP is!)
Now go watch in real time.

Now go watch in real time.
I’ve watched enough in real time to see SPP snipe a bloke who was already being tackled, in a practice match.

And I can 100% guarantee if this was a Crows player lining up a Port player, you’d want blood.

If it wasn’t a player who has a history of being a grub, both on and off the field, maybe he would get the benefit of the doubt from the wider footy community.

4 weeks because SPP attacked the contest recklessly. So punishment is for the action, not the incident or the outcome.

I’m ok with that to a degree, we’ve argued that the AFL shouldn’t just focus on outcome but intent, but I’m waiting for the inevitable broken jaw or cheekbone in Rd 22 by a finals-bound star which will only get 1 or 2 because of some other obscure reason that shows it wasn’t as serious as this one.

I’ve watched enough in real time to see SPP snipe a bloke who was already being tackled, in a practice match.

And I can 100% guarantee if this was a Crows player lining up a Port player, you’d want blood.

If it wasn’t a player who has a history of being a grub, both on and off the field, maybe he would get the benefit of the doubt from the wider footy community.
Yep port supporters weren’t in uproar when nyhuis for freo got 4 weeks for a legal tackle on soft head gray a few years ago

Many purists will be furious, but the game needs to rub out high impact hits to the head. If that means players have to attack contests more carefully, so be it.

Concussion is a serious issue and way more important than winning a contest

Wow, very rich coming from a West Coast supporter.

Many purists will be furious, but the game needs to rub out high impact hits to the head. If that means players have to attack contests more carefully, so be it.

Concussion is a serious issue and way more important than winning a contest
The irony given your passionate defence of Maynard who knocked a bloke senseless and ensured his early retirement

The irony given your passionate defence of Maynard who knocked a bloke senseless and ensured his early retirement

The rules have changed so another Maynard incident will see a suspension, why is that hard for your brain to grasp?

Under the old rules he was innocent, under the new ones i would support him being suspended if he did it again

4 weeks should be the starting point for this kind of violence. Bloody lucky to be this side of 5.

Anyway more importantly than a thug being out for a month we need to make sure there is consistency. Big Victorian clubs need to face the same time and especially in finals, it's bs otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back