Jordan Boyd on Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

ozaddy

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Straight to tribunal for rough conduct (first offence)

Careless Conduct
Severe Impact
High Contact

Just wanted to put out how silly Jason Dunstall's comments were regarding this incident. Other commentators were having none of it though.

Clearly he doesn't have the Toby Nankervis good boy points.

Terrible defence, i suggest Carlton don't suggest that to the tribunal
So an impact where a player is knocked out cold should be treated the exact same as a delayed concussion type incident? Last year I’m pretty sure DBJ probably plays out the game

So an impact where a player is knocked out cold should be treated the exact same as a delayed concussion type incident? Last year I’m pretty sure DBJ probably plays out the game
I would say concussion and delayed concussion are both still severe impact. The body still has the same health outcome. I am no brain surgeon though, so no putting either of us on the stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say concussion and delayed concussion are both still severe impact. The body still has the same health outcome. I am no brain surgeon though, so no putting either of us on the stand.
It was the third hit DBJ received for the night. I’m sure that will become part of the defence

It was the third hit DBJ received for the night. I’m sure that will become part of the defence
Oh there are more Carlton players inline for suspension? Obviously joking. Good to see someone get done for staging, Cripps nearly won best stage of the weekend, but out done in end.

Last edited:
As long as you’re happy with that classification enemy it’s a PA player…
I don't believe the "C" player wanted to hurt the "PA" player, but i guess that's why it wasn't classified as intentional? Its more severe to have a head hit the turf hard, than a player knock your two front teeth out. I think this is where you are going with not agreeing with severe impact? Sadly, too many of what you consider to not be severe impacts have long term consequences for some players, that can ruin their life after football.

I don't believe the "C" player wanted to hurt the "PA" player, but i guess that's why it wasn't classified as intentional? Its more severe to have a head hit the turf hard, than a player knock your two front teeth out. I think this is where you are going with not agreeing with severe impact? Sadly, too many of what you consider to not be severe impacts have long term consequences for some players, that can ruin their life after football.
I hear what you are saying but where does it end if we’re considering repercussions 10/20/30/40 years down the track? Because every bump, every tackle, every hit might be adding to he trauma but we just don’t know it yet.

I hear what you are saying but where does it end if we’re considering repercussions 10/20/30/40 years down the track? Because every bump, every tackle, every hit might be adding to he trauma but we just don’t know it yet.
It's been 18 years since Byron Picket copped 6 weeks for a hip and shoulder on James Begley and no other hip and shoulder has been considered as bad since then. I think the head is where it ends. There will be plenty of what we would call fair players get done, but i reckon clubs will be working on tackling technique more than ever. I think that is the goal of the AFL and their doctors (and lawyers).

It's been 18 years since Byron Picket copped 6 weeks for a hip and shoulder on James Begley and no other hip and shoulder has been considered as bad since then. I think the head is where it ends. There will be plenty of what we would call fair players get done, but i reckon clubs will be working on tackling technique more than ever. I think that is the goal of the AFL and their doctors (and lawyers).
I agree with your point in general but I see Boyd’s tackle as legitimate. B-J falls as a consequence of lateral pressure. So we can argue that Boyd was responsible or we can argue that it’s just a natural consequence of some actions in the game. If we choose the latter then a lot of players will be getting suspended for innocuous acts. Fine you say… but please don’t complain when it is your player.

I agree with your point in general but I see Boyd’s tackle as legitimate. B-J falls as a consequence of lateral pressure. So we can argue that Boyd was responsible or we can argue that it’s just a natural consequence of some actions in the game. If we choose the latter then a lot of players will be getting suspended for innocuous acts. Fine you say… but please don’t complain when it is your player.
We have had 2 players suspended for tackles this year that resulted in no concussion and a player suspended for a bump that resulted in a head clash for no concussion. It’s a fine line between suspending the action and the outcome, but there has to be some level of culpability if there is a concussion.

Decision: 3 games. Haven't heard a peep about it from Dunstall, just goes to show sometimes these experts just like talking garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back