Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I never seen a football incident or training session where trying to mark the ball with their hip is encouraged. Please share the footage, this could be a world first.

Key forwards against key backs? How long have you been watching AFL....Happens regularly if not every week maybe even every game where when a ball is in dispute there is a collision. Thats the game - you have to be brave to stand the heat. It's the gladiator side of the spectacle. 2 meter Peter is hampered some what as being one big bloke and not blessed with leg speed but determination to win the footy should never be doubted for one second. Those that do and are administering the sport need to be sacked.

Do we have any examples anywhere of a player arriving second to the ball in the manner of Wright getting injured as a result of attempting a mark or spoil? I keep reading it was a fait accompli that he would be injured if he spoiled or did literally anything other than turning his shoulder into Cunningham's head and I can't think of a situation even vaguely similar where this occured.

If neither player protects themselves you get this:

But it’s very rare because protecting yourself once contact is inevitable - and you see it coming - is instinctual. One player, at least, does it. Our reflexes (particularly young athletes) are lightning fast.

It’s not about being first or second to the ball, it’s about it being so close as to who gets there first, that both players commit to the contest because they genuinely think they’ll get there first. Of course, one of them is wrong (in this case Wright) though only by a tiny margin.

After that point of no return (where contact is inevitable), one of the players will invariably protect himself because he can see it coming.

And we’re not changing that.

The answer might be as simple as: the player going with the flight (Cunningham) must be totally protected because they can’t see what’s coming and can’t react to defend themselves. Then a player in Wright’s position knows ahead of time to be far more conservative and won’t attack a genuine 50/50 contest.

Yes and thats where genuine 50/50 contests are taken from the game slowly but surely if Dillon and Kane dont go now the game will be non contact or pretty much heading towards that direction.
Most of us grew up in British Bulldogs type environment so we find this pathetic.. players love the hard stuff and so do the pure fans of Aussie Rules.

I am really bothered by the four weeks its completely unjustified it was a 50 meter penalty at best for being late to the contest.

Dillon and Kane must be sacked immediately.

Glad this is all done and dusted. The guilty plea just sort of solidifies it all and hopefully Essendon did learn something from it because it won’t work against any half decent team and certainly not Sydney.

It made the week a bit more interesting but glad to be moving on to Richmond. I really am looking forward to seeing how Edgendon goes against the Saints this weekend, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Things have changed in that we don’t accept contact to the head any more.

That’s ok, but the rules need to be clear to support that. A player needs to know when he can go and when he can’t.

He can go whenever he wants, he just needs to avoid high contact and respect the whistle. The rules are pretty clear

Way too much is being made of this. Wright got himself into a mess and now he sits out to think his action through and practice better judgement.

On Wright's suspension, Scott felt the club had no legitimate avenue to clear the key forward of wrongdoing under current rules.

The Bombers argued Wright's penalty should only be a three-match ban, given the 27-year-old took actions to avoid an even more serious injury to Cunningham and showed contrition in the aftermath.

Scott said Essendon believed they risked a suspension of six matches or more if Wright had pleaded not guilty, and felt it was impossible to make a case to fight the charge.

There is a difference between tough footy and snipey footy. We just knew the difference and took advantage of your loss of focus. You want to waste energy sniping, fine, then expect to lose at least one player a week to suspension and nearly all your games.

Proud of my team for keeping their focus and playing you off you're feet.

You can be proud of your team too... not sure what of but good on you
Sydney did not take advantage of a lack of focus, sydney were fitter and ran out the quarters better, perhaps the extra game helped conditioning wise, thats why there red time score was so high.

Can you show me any examples of this "sniping" seems the only ones sniping were sydney players. the only one i can think of might be draper, but he was reacting to gulden hitting him behind play.

Love this holier than thou attitude from a team who has a well known history of off the ball incidents

. the only one i can think of might be draper, but he was reacting to gulden hitting him behind play.

Love this holier than thou attitude from a team who has a well known history of off the ball incidents

Lol. Funny way to describe being slightly late to a marking contest.

If Gulden was "behind play" then Wright must have taken Cunningham out in the car park before the first bounce

* you're clueless

Good discussion. What’s the answer? Ball falling out of the sky, two guys running at each other at high speed to claim it.

Because that’s what happened here.

People say stuff like “just both contest the ball”, which is fairytale stuff. Go down to the park and try it with a mate. It doesn’t happen. It can’t, because you possess self preservation as an instinct.

Do we really want both players seriously injured?

I feel like we’ve kind of (or nearly) solved the ground ball one, because we now seem to to have both opposing players getting sideways and taking contact rather than leading with their head.

What about opposing players in the air? Because unless one of them pulls out, at least one of them is getting injured. And perhaps both.

Is there a simple right-of-way answer?
This is Wayne Carey, doing the thing you said is fairytale stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, what the * are you muppets on about? You got wiped trying to be tough. Are you all serious about this?
you won because you had played an extra game and had the fitness base, why do you think your redtime score was so high? Also half our backline was out. Lets see what happens when we play you down here, the crowd down here wont put up with sydneys faux toughness and sniping

you won because you had played an extra game and had the fitness base, why do you think your redtime score was so high? Also half our backline was out. Lets see what happens when we play you down here, the crowd down here wont put up with sydneys faux toughness and sniping
projector GIF

If you want to go back in history, you are way off the bombers in premierships and finals, or de we just stop where you want to?
Well seeing as you brought up Parker V Essington, let's look at his stats. 17 games, 12 wins, averaging 25 touches a game.

Now I'm sure you'll say something like "yeah but we didn't have a proper team because of the systematic drug cheating scandal" but that's hardly his fault is it.

Well seeing as you brought up Parker V Essington, let's look at his stats. 17 games, 12 wins, averaging 25 touches a game.

Now I'm sure you'll say something like "yeah but we didn't have a proper team because of the systematic drug cheating scandal" but that's hardly his fault is it.
As you like to point out we have been an average team for a long time, although even you would admit the swans have probably won 3 or 4 of those that they shouldnt due to umpire " errors "

But really the only stat that matters is Essendon 16 premierships, Sydney 10

Back