MRP / Trib. Vlastuin off the ball Punch - Result one match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

If only he was a better bloke
Yep instead of being a sniping grub who intentionally hits people off of the ball.
He should try playing the ball instead of being a thug

I agree, it is a slippery slope. There are safeguards the AFL can put in place to stop these situations being used cynically. But in these cases where it is very obvious to all that the player is wiped out would you not rather the umpire just stops the game? Anyway, I would prefer that and overwhelmingly most people commenting post mach seemed to be of the same view. And umpires do stop play at times in these situations, they just for some reason saw fit not to in this instance.

The Richmond medical staff made an error. Errors happen. The umpires using common sense would offer a second level of security. While the player’s well being is paramount, it would also take stress off the medical staff and give them time to think clearly if the umps stopped the game. In the 2020 GF Simpson was unfortunately ko’d, and never seems to have been the same since. It took the Cat’s training staff around 20 seconds to call for the stretcher. Within that 20 seconds the umpire stopped play and actively cleared the area around Simpson. The umpire on that occasion acted properly and sensibly imo. And the same should have been done here, and always when it is clear a player is in distress and medical staff under pressure to give the player the care he requires. Even if it requires one of the 3 umpires to monitor the stricken player and medical staff while play continues and make a sensible decision according to what he is seeing.

It just so happened in this situation with Prestia after the Stewart hit, it appeared to work against Richmond on the scoreboard, which is frustrating as a supporter. But I don’t think that is paramount here and on all occasions the umpires should be encouraged to take control of a critical situation and make sensible decisions. Do you not agree with that, or can’t see past your war with Richmond supporters long enough to acknowledge the point?
if this is your point then yes, I agree and I think a lot of others do too.

no what i dont think is that a richmond player should be getting suspended for acts other players get fined for. but thats the penalty he suffers for being yellow and black.
Like jumper punches?

Welcome my friend, pull yourself an ale and take a seat next to the fireplace. We can sympathize. :smilev1:

Ok - can you please stop your players knocking out Tigers cold or ending their seasons then?

50% strike rate by your pussies

Stewart on Prestia
Danger on Vlastuin
Hawk pushes Balta into Soldo causing him to miss 18 months

Why do Cats keep injuring Tigers

I think Connor West is ok isn’t he?

Stop trolling

Oh, Vlastuin probably deserves a week by the way..
ah yes the perfect defence for whataboutism - more whataboutism

You may not know this, but we Cats supporters have no control over what our players do. Other than Stewart on Prestia none of the incidents you've mentioned were reportable so not sure why you're sooking about them now

ah yes the perfect defence for whataboutism - more whataboutism

You may not know this, but we Cats supporters have no control over what our players do. Other than Stewart on Prestia none of the incidents you've mentioned were reportable so not sure why you're sooking about them now
they would have been had the incidents bene the other way round

Where did I say it was ok what Vlastuin did?

King hits generally result in a knock out or a knock down, this hit didn't therefore I don't classify it as a a king hit. It was stupid and has now proven even dumber as it's cost him a week.

Vlastuin’s hit did result in a knock down. The player wasn’t just standing there holding his head. He went to ground.

I'd want another angle to determine head or body, and as the rules go head = 1 week, body = fine.

That said, I always think pretty much anything found guilty at MRO should be punished more harshly, and I'd throw in another week either way for being off the ball (making it not just intentional but totally unnecessary). That's not in the current rules though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Distinct lack of posts by the victims team.
Deserved a week. Off the ball and just no need to do it.
To say why does he get a week and all the others get a fine probably has some relevance, my answer is they ALL should get a week.
Then it stops.

Also must add it was funny how straight after he does he looks at the ump who blew the whistle as if to say "damn it, didn't see you there" BUSTED.

To say why does he get a week and all the others get a fine probably has some relevance, my answer is they ALL should get a week.
Then it stops.

Yep.

It'd have to be something brought in between seasons, but at the end of the year, I'd be informing all players that all off ball incidents found by the MRO/tribunal to be worthy of sanction automatically get +1 week, with another week added if this takes it up to 4 week or more (so something that would get 3 if done on ball would become 5 when done off ball).

Might need a bit of work into a clear on on/off ball status, but the idea should be clear enough.

It would be wrong to change it mid season though.

Then it stops.

The Fox media usual scrutinise any form of off the ball foul play with different angles of the issue, but oddly tried to sweep it under the rug .. As if a nothing to see here moment ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Fox media usual scrutinise any form of off the ball foul play with different angles of the issue, but oddly tried to sweep it under the rug .. As if a nothing to see here moment ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s Brad Scott’s fault always trying to bring down the tigers

Last edited:
Intersting tidbit from Jack on AFL 360 tonight:
  • Nick Vlaustin told Jack that contact was made to the shoulder and didn't make contact to the head
  • Connor West (the WCE player that was hit) said that he didn't feel any contact to the head either
At the end of the day, the vision wouldn't have been easy to argue against even with these verbal admissions.

Also, Vlaustin should miss this week's game anyway just purely for being an idiot at that moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back