Tyler Sonsie punch (VFL) - how many weeks? (poll added)

How many weeks?

• 1-3

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 4-5

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • 6-7

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • 8+

Votes: 20 29.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boo hoo.

They were furious when Cripps got off at the Appeals board last year (which is an independent body with no AFL or club figures on board)

There is no damn long time AFL conspiracy against Richmond and Richmond players, despite what a couple of admirably passionate but one eyed naive fans like yourself believe)

No I agree entirely. It is just total coincidence that Richmond just lost 12 consecutive free kick counts - roughly a 14,000 to 1 chance to occur to a team within a season in the absence of related contingencies.

And it is also just random chance that has decreed the only two times anyone can recall the AFL or VFL appealing its own Tribunal's decision it has involved a Richmond player as the defendant. Of course the first time, it is a 17 to 1 chance. But that it happens to the same club the only two times it occurs is around a 400 to 1 chance.

It is just plain bad luck the Tigers keep landing these long shots Elmer. ;)

4 weeks seems right to me, add another week because his name is Tyler + "Richmond Tax" and we end up at seven weeks which seems fair enough.

Now I've watched the footage on my laptop, gonna walk back on it not being a solid punch, it's not Gaff/Hall, but it's a fair whack. Don't need that in the game.

4 weeks seems right to me, add another week because his name is Tyler + "Richmond Tax" and we end up at seven weeks which seems fair enough.

Now I've watched the footage on my laptop, gonna walk back on it not being a solid punch, it's not Gaff/Hall, but it's a fair whack. Don't need that in the game.

4 weeks sounds to right to you?

He just got 3 weeks, and they felt it was too light and appealed. If they thought 4 weeks would be adequate, then they wouldn't have appealed.

He just got 3 weeks, and they felt it was too light and appealed. If they thought 4 weeks would be adequate, then they wouldn't have appealed.
4 or 5, thereabouts.
6 or more seems a bit outrageous to me personally.

Can you find a precedent for a deliberate off the ball strike to the head with a similar level(or lack) of force and no injury that got more than 3 weeks?

No I agree entirely. It is just total coincidence that Richmond just lost 12 consecutive free kick counts - roughly a 14,000 to 1 chance to occur to a team within a season in the absence of related contingencies.
People win the lottery on far worse odds than that, so maybe you’re just being a sook?
And it is also just random chance that has decreed the only two times anyone can recall the AFL or VFL appealing its own Tribunal's decision it has involved a Richmond player as the defendant. Of course the first time, it is a 17 to 1 chance. But that it happens to the same club the only two times it occurs is around a 400 to 1 chance.

What did Paddy McCartin get for hitting Aaron Black with a full blooded punch to the face?

Answer is 5 weeks.

Similar situation, but Sonsie's was some kind of kid's playfight punch in comparison. Completely different levels of force behind the punches. McCartin's you would say is high or severe impact, Sonsie's more medium impact. Depending on the medical report to some extent.

I would be shocked to see Sonsie get more than McCartin. It was a poor act and I think he will get 2-3 weeks or 4 if there is a concussion or serious injury.
Spot on.

Convenient memory lapse on your part. Three weeks became six after the AFL appeal. Less than two years ago.

Toby-Greene-Ump-Contact +_.jpg

It’s definitely an act we don’t want in the game. I was surprised by three weeks and thought it would be more.

But anyone considering it in the Hall/Gaff realm have rocks in their head.

Hall, a trained boxer, knocked a bloke into next week with a punch that belonged in MMA.

Gaff hit Brayshaw with a far more full blooded swing, and caused a mountain of damage.

3 weeks seems like a fair result. Time for everyone to move on.
You probably needed to tell the VFL that before they appealed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s definitely an act we don’t want in the game. I was surprised by three weeks and thought it would be more.

But anyone considering it in the Hall/Gaff realm have rocks in their head.

Hall, a trained boxer, knocked a bloke into next week with a punch that belonged in MMA.

Gaff hit Brayshaw with a far more full blooded swing, and caused a mountain of damage.

Hall should have got far more than 7 weeks for that. I'd have given him 10 absolute minimum. God knows how he only got 7.

I wonder what the grounds for appeal will be when they go for more than 3 weeks?

Perhaps the medical report has come through?

One can’t think they will go the grossly unjust argument that drunken slob Robbo spewed out last night is the way to go.

They will have to have some angle.

Can you find a precedent for a deliberate off the ball strike to the head with a similar level(or lack) of force and no injury that got more than 3 weeks?

Why are you arguing "lack" of force. I've seen the incident. I made view very clear in my first post post.

Why are you arguing "lack" of force. I've seen the incident. I made view very clear in my first post post.
Lack of force being the first point of contact is the shoulder/chest and the medical report, played out the game, no injury, no concussion.

People win the lottery on far worse odds than that, so maybe you’re just being a sook?

Ok, good find the Curnow case. So the AFL have appealed 3 times and one of those was a Richmond player. The odds of one being a Richmond player from 3 cases with no related contingency is 5 to 1. However there is a related contingency because the Curnow brothers are clearly umpire bashing thugs who conspired to take an umpire each in that match and try to destroy them physically. But let's ignore that and say it was 5-1 Richmond has a player involved. The odds of Richmond having a player involved in a VFL case would be 20 to 1. So the odds of Richmond getting 2 cases the AFL and VFL appeal in this way is 125 to 1.

But really the Curnow brothers are clearly genetically pre-disposed to umpire assaults, so you can't count that.

The odds of Richmond losing 12 free kick counts within a given season AND having these two cases appealed by the AFL and VFL is at least 1.8 million to 1.

I will whinge a lot more if the AFL stops causing these things to happen to Richmond, it will spoil my fun. I was ******* gutted when we were robbed of a 13th consecutive free kick count loss v North last week to reduce the likelihood of the run to over 30,000 to 1. The AFL clearly ordered a 1 free kick win to Richmond on the count to stop me from exposing them further. ;)

Force matters. Was initially graded as severe. “Lack” of force saw it get downgraded to high. Still doesn’t mean it was right or he should walk free, but there are different penalties for different levels of force.

In this instance it appears the Roo player continued in the game, suffered no concussion (or delayed concussion), no cuts, no broken bones or teeth,…

So while an ugly incident the force was not there. In all reality Kossie Pickett’s shoulder charge on Bailey Smith was uglier, probably had more force and had far more potential to cause damage.

3 weeks seems like a fair result. Time for everyone to move on.
The Richmond tax.
Was not in the same stratosphere as the ones above.

Public outcry out of anything Richmond is seriously getting ridiculous.

This grading system was for football acts. It was never meant to be for non-footy actions (striking, kicking etc.)
Now we have a situation where intentionally striking someone gets the same as a tackle. Throw the system out and go back to the old tribunal.
I think common sense would creep back in if they did

Back