Pickett bump on Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Pickett elected to bump but Maynard could have avoided Brayshaw's head.

While the actions are indeed different, they both involve head contact. Pickett will go to the tribunal because the AFL want to be seen to be acting on head contact but he will get off because the tribunal will be tied to precedent with Maynard.

He will likely cop a week for striking McGovern though.
Apple's and oranges mate.

Pickett elected to bump and got him high.
Medium impact, will be a week.

The tribunal found Maynard had no alternative once he was in mid-air.

The jumper punch against MCGovern is low impact so a fine only.

There should be four gradings then:

1. Careless
2. Reckless
3. Intentional
4. Malicious

They really don’t have to.

Malicious would require intent so would be intentional. Google the definition of malicious and you will find that the definition actually has the word intentional in it.

Careless and reckless the AFL already consider together I believe under the careless category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a history of launching his feet off the ground to bump someone late. Will be interesting to see the outcome. The Smith hit was worse. But then Cripps seemed to come off worse off than Smith did. Given it will be his second time for the same offence. Might cop a two week ban again.

Last edited:
it was a text book hip and shoulder and unfortunately, cripps head bumped into the back of his head and he could do nothing. it just a football accidents and he cant be blamed for it. he cant be expected to stop since there was not enough time .
I don't think you're up to date with the rules.
If you elect to bump and hit him high, you're responsible.

A clash of heads makes no difference.

He can and will blamed for it because he got him high.

You can bump without actually leaving the ground. It is interesting how he often launches himself like that and I don't know why you would do it unless you intend to smack someone high.

Pressures off the AFL for this one now Melb are out. Will probably give him 2 weeks and look like they care about the head again and how protected it is…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back