Pickett bump on Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a huge difference between Rhyan Mansell careless (3 weeks) and Kosi Pickett careless (1 week). This is where the AFL needs a classification between careless and intentional. This would fall firmly in the reckless category.

Yes, I understand the outcomes were different but I don't think Mansell's careless KO of Aish deserves more than Pickett's reckless shoulder charge into Cripps' head.

There’s been a precedent set in finals, not that it matters now but this gets nothing. You can argue between bump and smother but the thing is, he didn’t knock a bloke out cold, nor even daze him. No case to answer.
rr
So a player gets knocked out and the culprit gets 0 games? Then someone cops a shirt front with no damage and gets rubbed out? Makes sense, gee I wonder who the AFL want to win the flag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So a player gets knocked out and the culprit gets 0 games? Then someone cops a shirt front with no damage and gets rubbed out? Makes sense, gee I wonder who the AFL want to win the flag.

If this is a genuine post as opposed to a troll then you need to think about the target of the action. One targets the ball the other targets the player.

The tribunal system has been consistent this year that when you target the ball then then they take a different approach to subsequent events.

Regards

S. Pete

Essentially their take on intentional is not that you’ve done something on purpose, but specifically that you’ve deliberately committed a suspendable act.

That’s why a bump is almost never intentional to the mro. You CAN bump legally, it’s the execution that makes it a suspension.

It’s the punches away from the ball that’ll get your intentional gradings (and even then they don’t always pull the trigger)

1 match is fair
1 match is what it deserved under the guidelines.

But it's not really fair.
The AFL pays lip service to head high injuries.

Jack Martin punches a player in the jaw, 1 week.
Pickett leaves the ground, collects Cripps high, breaks his nose, a week.

When are the AFL going to get serious?

For all of Melbourne's so called concern with high contact, in the last two weeks they've had JVR elbow a bloke in the jaw and Pickett making contact with McGovern's head twice and Cripps once.

Please keep preaching Dees. Hypocritical straight sets snipers!

Sparrow slamming Walsh head first into the fence.

Don't expect to see a repeat of that scenario from next season onwards.

Essentially their take on intentional is not that you’ve done something on purpose, but specifically that you’ve deliberately committed a suspendable act.

That’s why a bump is almost never intentional to the mro. You CAN bump legally, it’s the execution that makes it a suspension.

It’s the punches away from the ball that’ll get your intentional gradings (and even then they don’t always pull the trigger)
This is a superb explanation, and seems to be exactly how the AFL see it, not withstanding how counter-intuitive it might be to us as supporters.

The big issues the AFL has are that it uses outcome to determine the length of suspension, and it refuses to introduce a send off rule.

However no 2 players are the same when it comes to susceptibility to injury / concussion. Some players have cement heads (eg Cal Ward) and can take a baseball bat to the head and not flinch, whereas others get knocked out by minor contact to their head.

Intent should be the overarching determinate for length of suspension. If you a launching your body like a missile at the head of opponents, and you make contact, the suspension should start at 3 weeks and rise exponentially as severity increases. AND the player should be disqualified from the game. The AFL is the only major competition in the world without a send off rule which beggars belief for such a violent sport.

Pickett should have got 3 weeks for his assault of Smith. Being a recidivist, he should get an extra week for his attack on Cripps. he should have been ejected from both games.

That is the only way the AFL will stamp out these acts that put players at risk of developing CTE later in life.

There’s been a precedent set in finals, not that it matters now but this gets nothing. You can argue between bump and smother but the thing is, he didn’t knock a bloke out cold, nor even daze him. No case to answer.
Good to see you’ve got over the Demon’s bowing out Fitzey. Expecting you’ll now get behind the Pies for the duration.

Counting on you buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back