Umpiring Blicavs blocking in the ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

This is reminiscent of the desperation of tigers-fans trying to will the football inside the goal posts from the brisbane game last year
Watch the vision in the OP. If you don't think Meek's position when he taps the ball is BEHIND where he was when he knee'd Blicavs in the guts, you're fooling yourself.

He ran under it, knee'd his opponent, then backtracked to tap it. End of.

Where’s the ball going dude? C’mon mate do better.
I don’t have to have studied physics to understand where the ball was coming from and where the drop zone is.

D11B9D1B-A373-4003-B5D2-47619AA8FE23.jpeg

I don’t have to have studied physics to understand where the ball was coming from and where the drop zone is.

View attachment 1657540

And I don't have to have studied physics to see that a screen shot with the height of the ball in question, and some scribble on it doesn't tell a very reliable story.

Here's a clearer image.

1681268172853.png

Seen a fair bit of commentary about the knee that Meek brought up, but this is a interesting take.

Brilliant.
I've been saying since the DeKoning incident that the problem is with the Geelong rucks.
Now, this is a generalisation and doesn't happen every time, so don't bother trying to counter by showing examples of them contesting the ruck correctly.

They seem to try and treat the centre bounce as a stoppage contest. They don't run and jump like the other rucks do. They look to put a body on the oppo ruck and then wrestle/grapple on the ground. This blocks the run and jump of the oppo ruck and should be a block most of the time. The other ruck is looking to do their usual run and jump and are quickly met by the Cats ruck, who prevents them from running and jumping and forces them to adjust their approach at the last second.

This top video showing the wide angle is a perfect example of how the tactic is intended.

Cats ruck starts at the edge of the inner circle, while Hawks starts at the far edge of the outer circle.
1681267997477.png

Cats ruck immediately runs past the drop of the ball, without even looking where the ball is going, to put a body on the Hawks player. Ball is still above the centre line. Hawks player trying to run and jump, with the ball still in front of him, but Cats player has taken 1m of space past the ball drop area.
1681268094685.png

Hawks player has still managed to move forward to the ball drop area and gets the tap. Cats player has now come back the other way to the centre line.
1681268332894.png

Then you see the Hawks ruck clearly expecting to get a blocking free, which he should have.
1681268537174.png

Last edited:
Brilliant.
I've been saying since the DeKoning incident that the problem is with the Geelong rucks.
Now, this is a generalisation and doesn't happen every time, so don't bother trying to counter by showing examples of them contesting the ruck correctly.

They seem to try and treat the centre bounce as a stoppage contest. They don't run and jump like the other rucks do. They look to put a body on the oppo ruck and then wrestle/grapple on the ground. This blocks the run and jump of the oppo ruck and should be a block most of the time. The other ruck is looking to do their usual run and jump and are quickly met by the Cats ruck, who prevents them from running and jumping and forces them to adjust their approach at the last second.

This top video showing the wide angle is a perfect example of how the bottom video with the tight angle is very deceptive about player positioning.
The bottom angle, which is the one mostly used on all social media, makes it look like the Hawks ruck goes past the drop of the ball and has to reach back to actually get the tap.
The wide angle shows the complete opposite.
Cats ruck starts at the edge of the inner circle, while Hawks starts at the far edge of the outer circle.
View attachment 1657571

Cats ruck immediately runs past the drop of the ball, without even looking where the ball is going, to put a body on the Hawks player. Ball is still above the centre line. Hawks player trying to run and jump, with the ball still in front of him, but Cats player has taken 1m of space past the ball drop area.
View attachment 1657574

Hawks player has still managed to move forward to the ball drop area and gets the tap without reaching backwards. cats player has now came back the other way to the centre line.
View attachment 1657582

Then you see the Hawks ruck clearly expecting to get a blocking free, which he should have.
View attachment 1657592

Starts post with "don't show examples of them NOT doing this, as this is generalisation". Then only shows an example of them doing this.

I guess it's not up for debate?

Your eyes are painted on, and as clueless as ever.

View attachment 1657530
Are you trying to claim he was trying to jump to tap the ball at that point in time? If so he has the worlds biggest leap or he can’t time a jump at all.

His ‘attempted jump’ is so early in fact that Blicavs had enough time to have fallen to the ground in pain before Meek even got his hand on the ball.

If a player player around the ground had jumped that early to take a mark they would have a free against them for interference.

Seems to me that people seem to think that getting between your opponent and the ball is to be considered "blocking".
I interpret the rules such that as long as you block AND get the tap it should be play on.
I don't see how "blocking" (whether as part of good ruck craft, or as an infringement) is deserving of getting kneed.
Carlton and Hawthorn supporters will defend this s**t...up until the point other teams decide to get dirty (or unsociable) and their team is on the receiving end.

Seems to me that people seem to think that getting between your opponent and the ball is to be considered "blocking".
I interpret the rules such that as long as you block AND get the tap it should be play on.
I don't see how "blocking" (whether as part of good ruck craft, or as an infringement) is deserving of getting kneed.
Carlton and Hawthorn supporters will defend this s**t...up until the point other teams decide to get dirty (or unsociable) and their team is on the receiving end.
Same game. Blocking and a kneeing, no free

Starts post with "don't show examples of them NOT doing this, as this is generalisation". Then only shows an example of them doing this.

I guess it's not up for debate?
Wow, you got me. Case closed, you win.

Everyone is now aware that this is a tactic used by the Cats. I only used the one example, because it's in the OP and is the perfect angle/view of this tactic in action. We know there are examples of them contesting the ruck normally, because they don't use this tactic every time. Therefore, showing those examples is moot and doesn't make the actual tactic go away.
I'm not trawling through game footage to find more examples of the same tactic. We all now know that it exists. A few Geelong supporters denying it doesn't change that.

And I don't have to have studied physics to see that a screen shot with the height of the ball in question, and some scribble on it doesn't tell a very reliable story.

Here's a clearer image.

View attachment 1657578
Wow, you created a picture of a drop zone slightly wider than mine. 😂

It doesn’t change the fact that Blicavs runs directly at Meek, not looking at the ball, and Meek has to brace with his knee in an attempt to protect his space.

This is a tried and true method that rucks have always used to contest centre bounces. Blicavs and Geelong have a tactic to try to negate the better tap ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF are you talking about?
Did you link the wrong tweet?
That clip had no blockig at all.
You've lost the plot mate.
He runs past the ball blocks his opponent for getting access to the ball. He does by jumping into him it but it is still a block

Everyone is now aware that this is a tactic used by the Cats.
Everyone also knows kneeing is a dirty tactic used by also-rans in an attempt to try to get close to the reigning champs.
I'm all for usig every advantage you can get, but when you resort to kneeing guys in the guts cos they get in the way it's time to have a good hard look in the mirror.
The AFL didn't send a memo out saying "stop blocking the opposition ruckmans runup", it sent one out saying "stop being dirty kneeing campaigners, we're on to you".

Here's a clearer image.

View attachment 1657578
Hahaha. What's that quote about lies, damn lies and statistics.
Maybe instead of "statistics" it should be "cropping".

He runs past the ball blocks his opponent for getting access to the ball. He does by jumping into him it but it is still a block
Woeful example as that is a bounce issue more than anything.
A low sideways bounce is always going to throw off ruckman's timing

Again, this whole debate disappears overnight if the AFL bin the bounce and say you can't cross the centre line

Wow, you created a picture of a drop zone slightly wider than mine. 😂

It doesn’t change the fact that Blicavs runs directly at Meek, not looking at the ball, and Meek has to brace with his knee in an attempt to protect his space.

This is a tried and true method that rucks have always used to contest centre bounces. Blicavs and Geelong have a tactic to try to negate the better tap ruckman.

What it shows is that Meeks CLEARLY ran under the ball and Blicavs was clearly entitled to attempt to run to where the ball would drop. Meeks could have blocked him legally by taking a position under the ball drop and making contact with the ball, but he chose a "ahem" different option.

1681270757885.png

What it shows is that Meeks CLEARLY ran under the ball and Blicavs was clearly entitled to attempt to run to where the ball would drop. Meeks could have blocked him legally by taking a position under the ball drop and making contact with the ball, but he chose a "ahem" different option.

View attachment 1657628
What it shows is that Meek raises his knee to protect the space that Blicavs has run into while not looking at the ball.

Brilliant.

This top video showing the wide angle is a perfect example of how the tactic is intended.

View attachment 1657571

View attachment 1657574

Hawks player has still managed to move forward to the ball drop area and gets the tap. Cats player has now come back the other way to the centre line.
View attachment 1657582

View attachment 1657592
Really in that situation (if it was happening all game) the opposing ruckman should pick one contest jump and knee him in the head

That wouldn’t be against the rules and would stop the close stand pretty quick

It was a s**t bounce and Blicavs is allowed to run to where the drop of the ball is going to be. Meek runs underneath it, knees Blitz in the guts, then backpedals to get back to where the ball is going to land.

What's that old proverb? Never break more than one rule at a time, something like that. If you're going to illegally block your opponent out of the ruck contest, don't lead with your knee.

Everyone also knows kneeing is a dirty tactic used by also-rans in an attempt to try to get close to the reigning champs.
I'm all for usig every advantage you can get, but when you resort to kneeing guys in the guts cos they get in the way it's time to have a good hard look in the mirror.
The AFL didn't send a memo out saying "stop blocking the opposition ruckmans runup", it sent one out saying "stop being dirty kneeing campaigners, we're on to you".
When done deliberately? Sure.
When done as part of a genuine ruck contest, like the majority of them, but the other ruck decides to stay on the ground and block the run/jump? No.

The AFL did it's typical knee jerk reaction to one incident, instead of looking at the how and why. Now that appears to be a regular thing happening to just one team, the AFL might look a bit closer and adjust their stance.

More than that.
It's happened to us 3 games out of 4.
Cox was doing it so much round 1 Dangerfield had to comment on it to the umpires.
So, you're aware that it's a regular occurrence, and it only seems to be happening to one team, but you can't seem to link a possible causation?

I don't get why there's such a big push back from Cats supporters. If it's a tactic and it's hurting your players, wouldn't you want the team to have a closer look and see if it's really worth the perceived advantage? If the AFL now becomes aware of the potential reasons and has a closer look at Geelong's ruck tactics and tell the umpires that they should be looking out for blocking frees, would you not just want to get it out of your game?
There's a pattern forming and people are now looking closer at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back