Preview Is Lightening up a bit, the new trend in coaching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-17/crows-put-the-fun-back-into-preseason-training

I found this article intriguing. Phil Davis has announced he'll be organising random competitions after our main Wednesday sessions as well. On-line gaming etc, unrelated to football.

The Tigers injecting humor on game day via Higgins addressing the group. Even Nathan Buckley's human touch in September last year, are all somewhat related I think.

I wonder is this a pullback from the whole thing being just too professional and cold? I can see it might be counter productive to a playing group coming together if it's always competitive and they associate being together with pain and getting yelled at all the time.

Leon often talks about players caring for each other, and it makes sense some fun is needed to build those relationships. I have a sneaky suspicion it was a factor in the Tigers rise at least.

Is it the new trend?

AFL footy doesn't look like it's that fun in the modern era. Can't drink during the season, strictest drug testing of any sport, media criticism any time you say anything that isn't pre written by the media department, structures are king and flair is out, tackling is more valued than kicking a goal, one on one contests replaced by stringent zoning, fans slamming you all over social media every week etc.

There's been alot of talk about how the game isn't as fun anymore for players. Not surprising at all

AFL footy doesn't look like it's that fun in the modern era. Can't drink during the season, strictest drug testing of any sport, media criticism any time you say anything that isn't pre written by the media department, structures are king and flair is out, tackling is more valued than kicking a goal, one on one contests replaced by stringent zoning, fans slamming you all over social media every week etc.

There's been alot of talk about how the game isn't as fun anymore for players. Not surprising at all
Can't drink during the season? Player's often get smashed during the season when they go out.

Guess that's the byproduct of them now being minor celebrities and earning massive salaries. You can't have both the money and expect it to be like the "good old days".

I would accept 6-7 months of life not being 'fun' for 500k a year. Running around with 40 of my best mates for a living sounds pretty cool though.

Small sacrifices for big coin.

I would accept 6-7 months of life not being 'fun' for 500k a year. Running around with 40 of my best mates for a living sounds pretty cool though.

How many actually make that money? An what's the point of making 500k a year if you can't enjoy it

There's also a lot players on a lot less. A rookie not elevated is about 80k, for an adult with a partner and sometimes kids that's way below the average wage.

There's also a lot players on a lot less. A rookie not elevated is about 80k, for an adult with a partner and sometimes kids that's way below the average wage.

80k is way below the average wage?

Whut?

Wage Facts. Full-time earnings in Australia averaged A$82,436 a year in the second quarter of 2018. (Seasonally adjusted wages – Bureau of Statistics.) If overtime and bonuses are included, average Australian earnings were A$85,982 per annum.

https://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/

On one hand, it smells like class envy when people object to others who earn more than they do complaining about work/life not being enjoyable; AFL players should be able to enjoy themselves like everyone else. On the other hand, sport's a hard thing, there's no ignoring the fact that, had you made that tackle, run that little bit harder, worked more, not fumbled that one time, or had the ball sit up cleanly for you, your team may have won or lost, and that impacts immediately on your future and your job, your mates. There's necessary honesty that is needed at a professional sport club, because without it you're not improving, but so too should there be that aspect of community, a shared goal and identity.

Too many clubs doubled down on the 'tough love', results oriented side of the beast, now some are swinging the other way as a result of the best clubs over recent history talking about belonging and other buzz words which really refer to that community side of things.

Can't drink during the season? Player's often get smashed during the season when they go out.

One of our Irish recruits said he preferred the fact that in Australia the players are allowed to drink during the season, as compared to his club in Ireland.

This is sort of what won the Bulldogs and Richmond a flag.

Dimma was always well liked and even when they were massively underachieving, he was getting contract extensions because the players loved him. In the end, he got the absolute best out of every player – from Dusty to those pretty unspectacular players. He engaged them as people in the right way and they played good footy.

The Bullies meanwhile were on a run. Good form, pretty healthy list, and a sense of 'why not?' No one expected a thing, they could go out and play whatever footy, in whatever style, and so long as they had a cheeky arrogance they were going to have that extra, intangible 10% and it got them wins against three-on-the-trot Hawks, then just enough to beat a very good GWS side with all the plusses, and then the dismantling of the Sydney Swans.

You only need to look at footage of a Hawthorn training session to see Clarko having a laugh with a lot of the boys. He personally tells guys when they're delisted or not getting a contract. Other clubs have all sorts of behind the scenes blokes in polos and suits telling them there's no new contract.

The hard arse, hair-sprayer 'high standards for everyone' bullshit doesn't work. It's not 1981 where blokes are up at 6 to go to work, out at 5, and knock off training at 8pm and do it all again. They aren't boiler makers, shearers, wharfies, builders. They're pampered kids who are mostly middle class and privately educated, who've always had parents, coaches, and friends telling them how good they are at footy and how funny and cool they are. You need to appeal to that. You need to embrace it.

Look at how lifeless Freo look these days. Ross Lyon can bark and do that old skool thing to an exemplary professional like Pav or a guy like Nat Fyfe, but not everyone is going to be. Some guys will take it as a personal slight, or bullying, or unfair and like they're being singled out. You need to realise that. You want your player's playing for that, you want them playing for each other and the coach and the club. You do that when you feel wanted and appreciated. It's no different to working for a campaigner boss versus a guy who respects you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bullies meanwhile were on a run. Good form, pretty healthy list, and a sense of 'why not?' No one expected a thing, they could go out and play whatever footy, in whatever style, and so long as they had a cheeky arrogance they were going to have that extra, intangible 10% and it got them wins against three-on-the-trot Hawks, then just enough to beat a very good GWS side with all the plusses, and then the dismantling of the Sydney Swans.

Bulldogs also had a toxic rat pack that could seriously play footy but loved living the rockstar life. Getting rid of them was a post-Premiership necessity but without them we don't make it.

Players can drink. They usually have team rules about when they can drink. Being out at a club getting pissed at 3.00am on a Friday will not go down well for instance. There is usually no drinking when in rehab. But even amateur clubs try to get there players to watch the drinking, especially the night before a game.

The formation of social cliques within a club list, normally favoring the stronger players, is so destructive. They still exist at some clubs, at least very recently.

I think old fashioned coaches either ignored cliques or fostered competitiveness within the list, and favored some players over others... like they were his allies.

Whereas a modern coach like Fagan may bring a lightness to the club, but more importantly he sends a message of genuine care for every player. He wouldn't just focus on excellence.

Players can drink. They usually have team rules about when they can drink. Being out at a club getting pissed at 3.00am on a Friday will not go down well for instance. There is usually no drinking when in rehab. But even amateur clubs try to get there players to watch the drinking, especially the night before a game.
Wish someone had told Mummy about the rehab thing.

Often with our guys an injury then possible surgery, means a break initially and a return home. That's a tough time to ban drinking.

I get the logic of the player getting down and possibly drinking too much though.

Simpson has created a pretty good environment at the club where all the players and staff seem to hang around each a lot during their breaks. He doesn't impose a strict no drinking policy during the season and has even encouraged them to do so as long as they are not getting plasted in the lead up to games. S

Sam Mitchell & Petrie have both spoken about how much time the players all spent with each other outside of football. Mitchell even hosted a FIFA competition at his with all the players and a few of the coaching staff.

This is sort of what won the Bulldogs and Richmond a flag.

Dimma was always well liked and even when they were massively underachieving, he was getting contract extensions because the players loved him. In the end, he got the absolute best out of every player – from Dusty to those pretty unspectacular players. He engaged them as people in the right way and they played good footy.

You only need to look at footage of a Hawthorn training session to see Clarko having a laugh with a lot of the boys. He personally tells guys when they're delisted or not getting a contract. Other clubs have all sorts of behind the scenes blokes in polos and suits telling them there's no new contract.

The hard arse, hair-sprayer 'high standards for everyone' bullshit doesn't work. It's not 1981 where blokes are up at 6 to go to work, out at 5, and knock off training at 8pm and do it all again. They aren't boiler makers, shearers, wharfies, builders. They're pampered kids who are mostly middle class and privately educated, who've always had parents, coaches, and friends telling them how good they are at footy and how funny and cool they are. You need to appeal to that. You need to embrace it.

Look at how lifeless Freo look these days. Ross Lyon can bark and do that old skool thing to an exemplary professional like Pav or a guy like Nat Fyfe, but not everyone is going to be. Some guys will take it as a personal slight, or bullying, or unfair and like they're being singled out. You need to realise that. You want your player's playing for that, you want them playing for each other and the coach and the club. You do that when you feel wanted and appreciated. It's no different to working for a campaigner boss versus a guy who respects you.

We we're pretty lucky we got players back for finals. Our list was pretty decimated throughout the year.

Simpson has created a pretty good environment at the club where all the players and staff seem to hang around each a lot during their breaks. He doesn't impose a strict no drinking policy during the season and has even encouraged them to do so as long as they are not getting plasted in the lead up to games. S

Sam Mitchell & Petrie have both spoken about how much time the players all spent with each other outside of football. Mitchell even hosted a FIFA competition at his with all the players and a few of the coaching staff.
He's clearly doing something right. WC gets less press in the Eastern states, so I've seen few clues about the culture.

I know it played a huge part in our rise. Our goal leading in to 2016 was to score 2 more goals per game. That lead to unnecessary pressure which lead to us essentially choking for an entire year. Going into 17 it was just about having fun and giving it everything. Lo and behold we transformed from a bunch of no hopers to become premiers. Probably a message in that for all the parents that take their kids sport way too seriously - ease off the pressure.

How many actually make that money? An what's the point of making 500k a year if you can't enjoy it

Oh I don't know. Buying a house outright after a couple of years' work, then the opportunity to set yourself up for life would be pretty good reasons!

I'm prepared to give up booze if I get $500k per year. I'm brave like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back