Autopsy Is most AFL journalism just clickbait rubbish?

Is most AFL journalism just clickbait rubbish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's too many journos and not enough content really if we are honest. So the minutiae of football gets inflated every week to make content.

Can remove the “AFL” from your headline.

Yes indeed - and sadly the difference here is that there ARE a lot of good stories out there waiting to be told. And in the past, journos often investigated them and created something really worth reading.

But the dollars are to be found in the eyeballs and clicks of the great unwashed who don't have the patience to read more than a couple of paragraphs, or the ability to understand anything above the most basic drivel. So we get silly, shit, baity articles.

And if you think I'm being snobby or elitist by saying most consumers of media are morons, open any article online and scroll down to the comments section (which remember, has probably had the worst stuff already moderated out) and then tell me I'm wrong.

I'm a bit sick of the quality of AFL journalism and 'opinion' writers.
A lot of it sensationalized crap imo.
??

If they're not writing stuff with the intention of people reading it - WTF is their job??

They're writing about footy FFS. It's not exactly in the realm of 'public interest' is it.

There's too many journos and not enough content really if we are honest. So the minutiae of football gets inflated every week to make content.

Yes indeed - and sadly the difference here is that there ARE a lot of good stories out there waiting to be told. And in the past, journos often investigated them and created something really worth reading.

But the dollars are to be found in the eyeballs and clicks of the great unwashed who don't have the patience to read more than a couple of paragraphs, or the ability to understand anything above the most basic drivel. So we get silly, s**t, baity articles.

And if you think I'm being snobby or elitist by saying most consumers of media are morons, open any article online and scroll down to the comments section (which remember, has probably had the worst stuff already moderated out) and then tell me I'm wrong.
Growing up, the people who wrote into the paper were always laughed at and considered old fogeys or nuffies (in the parlance of our times). Now it seems the majority of the population has turned into the very ones we laughed at. I see commenting on an article no different than writing into the paper.

IF you look at my posting history on here and social media, ive yelled this from the roof tops for the best part of a decade.

Since when is Sam Landsberger's opinion more important than the actual result the VLF tribunal hand down when Sydney try to overturn the Parker ban.

Why is Jon Ralph allowed to parade around some ill informed opinion about Nick Bryan as a matter of fact "I think... Nick Bryan could look elsewhere in 2025" (he is contracted fyi)

Its not just aFL but its certainly the industry leader in how pathetic it is. The drama and off field stories, the opinions of non players is now the story, not the actual reason they are employed. The Football

"I think..."

"this may happen..."

"so and so could be..."

They are all click bait morons paid to make up shit to garner clicks for there respective employers. Its horrendous how bad the coverage of our great game has become

This is embarrassing. Reality is most supporters never want to hear anything negative about their club so kick up a stink and shoot the messenger when a journo shines a light on their clubs wrongdoings or deeds. Suck it up the lot of you.
Problem is , the 'journos' are wrong or exaggerating most of the time.

the two major blackspots in the world of the afl are:
1) governance / probity / integrity (as a combined issue)
2) quality of journalism / commentary / broadcasting

The game is great, the fans are great. But the fans deserve more.
The real blackspot is that the two of them would both be greatly enhanced by 2 investigating 1.

The AFL media are not independent and therefor whatever AFL house want you to hear is what you will here.
If they want a player suspended then they get their media on to it to convince you the public they are doing the right thing.
The AFL could say that country football league with just r clubs in it is the second tier of the sport and within a few short days their media machine would of convinced the public that league is the second tier.
The public is so naive these days, they believe what AFL house tell them yet for the most part all say how shit head office is.
Personally I Would not believe a word an AFL player, coach, media person, admin person says. It’s almost certain to be a lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is so much wrong with the US and US media - but how is their sports media just so much better than ours?

When guys like Woj, Shams and others tweet - you can basically take the info as nearly to the bank.

Instead, we get that awful journo Sam Maclure using the media platform provided to him to create nonsense headlines like “West Coast won’t pick him” (re Harley Reid).

Basically the only one I somewhat respect is Twomey.

Not hard to find examples is it.

OPINION

IF Nick Daicos was the 21st best player against the Crows ... THEN​

Sliding Doors is in full swing for 2024 ... and Damo's got plenty to say
By Damian Barrett
2 hrs ago

gold-coast.jpg

IF ...​

Dimma once bemoaned, straight-faced, that it was a burden as a Richmond person to have to play a game at Marvel Stadium, a whole 3.9km from the Tigers' home ground, the MCG ("mate I hate coming here … the MCG has got soul … our people don't come here," he said in 2021 ...

THEN ...​

how's his hypocrisy this week when, as a Gold Coast Suns person, he labelled "laughable" and "downright disrespectful" those who had been complaining of perceived favourable travel treatment of some non-Victorian clubs?

Um no Damian. Harwick was saying he hates playing at a soulless stadium when all the Richmond fans can't attend because of the size. Nothing to do with travel at all. Nothing. But lets twist words to support an agenda shall we?:thumbsdown::poo::poo:

And take 2..............

sydney.jpg

IF ...​

I told you many times in 2022 when he had played less than 20 games, and again in 2023, that there was a certain Swans midfielder who was destined for greatness ...

THEN ...​

he's well on the way in 2024. The Chad. Just a lazy four goals (19 for the year), a Mark of the Year contender (given Liam Jones launched a fist into his right bicep) and some ridiculous goal assists on Thursday night in yet another best-afield domination. Doing stuff that no one else could even contemplate doing. Might be a Swans one-two-three on Brownlow night. Chad, Isaac, Errol.

Um Damien, have you not been paying attention?

1716505845396.png

Damien is a click bait grand master.

They have to generate more clicks to up the Ad revenue, which is why relentless articles are pumped out rehashing other content. They simply have to to do this just to be able to sustain themselves because the articles themselves generate no revenue.

Why spend a week crafting a well-researched article which is actually interesting and insightful to read when you could simply slap on 'Harley Reid HOMESICK" and link to his interview where he says he is in fact NOT homesick?

Which one generates more clicks and thus, revenue?

There is so much wrong with the US and US media - but how is their sports media just so much better than ours?

When guys like Woj, Shams and others tweet - you can basically take the info as nearly to the bank.

Instead, we get that awful journo Sam Maclure using the media platform provided to him to create nonsense headlines like “West Coast won’t pick him” (re Harley Reid).

Basically the only one I somewhat respect is Twomey.
Us sports media is independent of the leagues. They need to get their info right otherwise they lose connections.

Aussie sports media is run by the leagues to generate talk, clicks etc. As long as people are watching, the league doesn't care

Back