Opinion Is our window closing?

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
We need to win 7 out of our last 8 to make top 4.

Realistically we're only a chance for an elimination final. And to expect a predictable Buckley to win 4 out of 4 in finals to win a premiership.. well this yr is over.

Looking ahead to 2021.. with Buckley at the helm.. with 8 out of 9 below par seasons.. we're more of a risk of missing out.. than not.

i made the point in your previously post that 7/8 wins as derived from your 2019 analysis was problematic, primarily because the ladder is far more compressed in 2020 than at the half way point last year.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geelong have been playing this strategy of lagging or stay at home defenders for a number of years and we’ve managed well against them. So why is this now a problem?

We have had quite a few close battles won 2020, lost in 2018 and 2019 saw a 1 all result with the 2nd match won by 10 points and same scoring shots.

Geelong vs Collingwood last 4 games:

2020 Collingwood 8.9.57 vs Geelong 5.5.35
2019 Collingwood 65 vs Geelong 72
2019 Collingwood 9.7.61 vs Geelong 7.9.51
2018 Collingwood 45 vs Geelong 66

Can't say I agree weve managed well against them. Also Geelongs defenders this year followed us up the ground more then typical of other teams.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have had quite a few close battles won 2020, lost in 2018 and 2019 saw a 1 all result with the 2nd match won by 10 points and same scoring shots.

Geelong vs Collingwood last 4 games:

2020 Collingwood 8.9.57 vs Geelong 5.5.35
2019 Collingwood 65 vs Geelong 72
2019 Collingwood 9.7.61 vs Geelong 7.9.51
2018 Collingwood 45 vs Geelong 66

Can't say I agree weve managed well against them. Also Geelongs defenders this year followed us up the ground more then typical of other teams.

we’ve won the last 2, including a final and on both games, most people would say Geel were well held.
So their defensive strategy of lagging defenders or the recent change you’ve suggested is well within our ability to counter.
And if we can counter Geel lagging defenders why should we fear other teams using the same tactics?

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
What is the obsession with a KPF? I agree we do need someone reliable and consistent however our issue is clearly how we move the ball and how we kick it into the forward line. We have been able to cover not having that person in the past 2 years by delivering the ball quickly and to the advantage of our players. We had this issue we had Cloke forward and the same with Darcy Moore. And if I remember both their old man's questioned the game plan.
Right now it wouldn't matter who we had in our forward line, its about the delivery and speed. Its not just 1 or 2 players down on form its our entire forward line of the past 2 years is not performing, that tells you its not them its the delivery and lack of space when it gets there because of slow movement.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
i made the point in your previously post that 7/8 wins as derived from your 2019 analysis was problematic, primarily because the ladder is far more compressed in 2020 than at the half way point last year.

10 1/2 or 11 1/2 wins for a top 4 spot?

What would you put your gorilla on?

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
we’ve won the last 2, including a final and on both games, most people would say Geel were well held.
So their defensive strategy of lagging defenders or the recent change you’ve suggested is well within our ability to counter.
And if we can counter Geel lagging defenders why should we fear other teams using the same tactics?

Most of our goals vs Geelong weren't of the paddock style, only 1 was from 'whe' being left free in the first quarter. The rest came from either repeat entries and Degoey truning one against them.
Had a lot of 1v1 vs Geelong our fwds didnt press up as high for much of it being wet.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What is the obsession with a KPF? I agree we do need someone reliable and consistent however our issue is clearly how we move the ball and how we kick it into the forward line. We have been able to cover not having that person in the past 2 years by delivering the ball quickly and to the advantage of our players. We had this issue we had Cloke forward and the same with Darcy Moore. And if I remember both their old man's questioned the game plan.
Right now it wouldn't matter who we had in our forward line, its about the delivery and speed. Its not just 1 or 2 players down on form its our entire forward line of the past 2 years is not performing, that tells you its not them its the delivery and lack of space when it gets there because of slow movement.

I guess the obsession is winnning Premierships.

Since our last flag in 2010 (We had Cloke / Brown), all but the Sydney Swans in 2012 boasted high quality KPF's - big guys capable of turning a match with marks inside F50. Plenty of examples with Richmond (Lynch / Riewoldt), WCE (Kennedy / Darling).

These guys win premierships.

Having a game plan and personell to move the ball quickly and to advantage is part of the puzzle - but these guys in September are worth their weight in gold.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Geelong's defenders are slower (Taylor, Henderson, Kolojasni) and less offensive than most AFL leading clubs. They play a slow steady game rather than rebounding quickly. Now Tuohy has even gone forward so there's less rebound than ever. We're struggling against rebounding sides atm.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
And our window (for 2020) is very close to closed. We have to keep it open if we can and hope other results open it even further!

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess the obsession is winnning Premierships.

Since our last flag in 2010 (We had Cloke / Brown), all but the Sydney Swans in 2012 boasted high quality KPF's - big guys capable of turning a match with marks inside F50. Plenty of examples with Richmond (Lynch / Riewoldt), WCE (Kennedy / Darling).

These guys win premierships.

Having a game plan and personell to move the ball quickly and to advantage is part of the puzzle - but these guys in September are worth their weight in gold.
I guarantee you even if we had Lloyd in his prime right now he'd be out of form with the way we move the football.

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
how many teams were 10th and only 1 1/2 games from Top 4 - that makes a huge difference.
There is no point in getting caught up in history. History does not dictate the future.
If you have a team that is 4 wins 4 losses and a draw that tells you there is an issue with consistency, meaning that team won't win enough games in a row to make top 4.

Back