Is Scott Pendulbury the most overated player in Collingwood's history?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's crap, and I'm not sure how he even get's a game.

Seriously I'm not sure why I'm responding to this fool. I've been following the Pies since I can remember (early 80's) and I've always said that Buckley and P Daicos were the best I've seen. Pendles has now surpassed them as my number 1 after his heroics in the GF.

He is a legend. Anyone who plays 350+ games has to be a major contributor to the club.

Look at his stats, watch the games to understand what he can do with the ball in hand, and you'll have a good understanding of why he's so good.

Pendles is like J Selwood. Really, really good, all the time. Never a bad game. But, like JS, his best is a level below many mentioned in the OP. Others in this category include Neale, Tuck, S Mitchell, Buckley, Garry Wilson, etc. Incredible footballers but they are not going to win you a game/flag off their own boot.

Pies fans I know wouldn’t have him close to the best Pie ever. I think he is overrated by commentators/media at The moment due to his longevity and continued brilliance.

Pendles is like J Selwood. Really, really good, all the time. Never a bad game. But, like JS, his best is a level below many mentioned in the OP. Others in this category include Neale, Tuck, S Mitchell, Buckley, Garry Wilson, etc. Incredible footballers but they are not going to win you a game/flag off their own boot.

Pies fans I know wouldn’t have him close to the best Pie ever. I think he is overrated by commentators/media at The moment due to his longevity and continued brilliance.
Some genuine contradictions here. Pendles has won us many a games off his own boot in his prime. Selwood too. He is also a Norm Smith medallist (granted, he didn’t single handedly win us that one).

You then admit to his continued brilliance over a long period of time, but believe he’s overrated? What’s your metric?

And quickly on Buckley. He dragged two of the most ordinary sides you’ve ever seen to back to back grand finals. One of the most influential players of all time. You’ve not given enough credit to the other players you listed also. You don’t have to have 30 and boot 5 to win your team a game.

Hey -careful buddy!
In a couple of years time when the Tigers sack what's his name, Pendulberry is likely to be Richmond's next coach.

I actually think the most overrated is Mark Ricciuto as yes he has 8 All Australians which is an amazing number but if you actually look at his All Australians he is on the bench for pretty much all of them so he was never in the top 5 or 6 midfielders in the league for his entire career.
You can thank Neil Kerley for that. The chip on his shoulder was the size of the Spencer Gulf. If it was up to him he would have all the Crows as the starting AA team

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point, its a common theme when considering "the best", and th eidea of quality vs quantity, and where a player's strengths are.

Most of his career Pendles has been admired rather than feared, and he doesn't play the powerful style you see from famous matchwinners. he plays a style that involves others but doesn't seem to put him in the furnace.

Buckley was more powerful and amazingly even more consistent (Pendles had a quieter season when his first kid was born, injuries aside Bucks had less bad quarters than most players have bad seasons, and he even played f=skme great quarters on one leg), but when a guy repeatedly gets high stats (especially in a lower ranked team) rather than massive impact moments it desensitizes people to the achievement. Compare Dusty, a superb big game matchwinner, whose mean/average performance is worse.

People rate Voss against Buckley in a similar contrast. They played in the 2002 Grand Final and Buckley (once again) carried his team for 4 quarters, Voss was down due to being bashed and bad conditions, bobs up with a brilliant last quarter. Who is better? I mean its the quality and quantity debate, but people err to quality IMHO as quantity is boring.

For the record I was there and Buckley was twice as good as Voss on the day, even considering Voss dominant last quarter (better than any one of Bucks quarters). Voss' captaincy was superb but Bucks smashed him for output and influence, playing dry weather footy while being equally bashed and surrounded by a far inferior support crew. In B4 "hurrdurr who won?".

N Daicos may be better in the future but he also suffers because he accumulates, and disposes so quickly people barely notice his involvement. I felt he was plainly BOG in the grand final, possibly by half time, but his touches were so fluid it barely registered he was involved in many passages.

I think of the champions I've seen only Carey matched quality with quantity, rarely fronted up with a shocker (and then really only when he played injured). Maybe Dunstall, although he was more on the boring accumulation side of things, hence him being under-rated.

Pendles is like J Selwood. Really, really good, all the time. Never a bad game. But, like JS, his best is a level below many mentioned in the OP.
2013 the Coaches MVP read:

1st: Pendlebury 96 votes
2nd: Ablett 95 votes
3rd: Selwood 94 votes

And the Brownlow that year had Selwood finish 2nd a solitary vote behind Ablett. Both 6x AAs too. I reckon their peak levels are almost underrated because of their consistency, plus a little late career recency bias where both were still playing good footy in their twilight years even though their absolute prime was a decade ago now.

Absolute champion.

There will just be the usual 3-4 Richmond accounts who deploy their childish mockery, but it's good to see the other sensible ones come in and speak sense.

Mate pies supporters reckon he’s a better player and captain than Selwood when he obviously isn’t. You should be in my side here.

Most of his career Pendles has been admired rather than feared, and he doesn't play the powerful style you see from famous matchwinners. he plays a style that involves others but doesn't seem to put him in the furnace.

Whenever a Collingwood player gets the ball 40 to 60 meters from goal. I always hope it isn't Pendlebury. He'd either put it through or kick/handball it to someone who is in a great position to.

Mate pies supporters reckon he’s a better player and captain than Selwood when he obviously isn’t. You should be in my side here.
More bait failed.

That's a reasonable opinion to have. Not a hell of a lot separates them so by default it can't be an insult if you have one slightly ahead of the other.

As for people rating Selwood at whatever level: a lot of supporters couldn't stand him. Same as Dangerfield (for different reasons). That's their right too.

Funny enough I spoke with a Pies work colleague yesterday about whether they’d take DeGoey’s best or Nick Daicos’s best in a game.

He said he rather DeGoey’s best as he is a genuine match winner and unlike Naicos who is Pendles-like where they could play a great game but they’d still lose.

Pretty much sums it up, great consistent player but really not a genuine feared player who will tear a game open like a lot of the other players mentioned on here. His peak wasn’t near as good. Hence I reckon he’s overrated due to “longevity” only. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable at all. I’ll ask you guys has anybody here before a game felt scared of Pendlebury. I sure haven’t.

I see your point, its a common theme when considering "the best", and th eidea of quality vs quantity, and where a player's strengths are.

Buckley was more powerful and amazingly even more consistent (Pendles had a quieter season when his first kid was born, injuries aside Bucks had less bad quarters than most players have bad seasons, and he even played f=skme great quarters on one leg), but when a guy repeatedly gets high stats (especially in a lower ranked team) rather than massive impact moments it desensitizes people to the achievement. Compare Dusty, a superb big game matchwinner, whose mean/average performance is worse.

People rate Voss against Buckley in a similar contrast. They played in the 2002 Grand Final and Buckley (once again) carried his team for 4 quarters, Voss was down due to being bashed and bad conditions, bobs up with a brilliant last quarter. Who is better? I mean its the quality and quantity debate, but people err to quality IMHO as quantity is boring.

For the record I was there and Buckley was twice as good as Voss on the day, even considering Voss dominant last quarter (better than any one of Bucks quarters). Voss' captaincy was superb but Bucks smashed him for output and influence, playing dry weather footy while being equally bashed and surrounded by a far inferior support crew. In B4 "hurrdurr who won?".

N Daicos may be better in the future but he also suffers because he accumulates, and disposes so quickly people barely notice his involvement. I felt he was plainly BOG in the grand final, possibly by half time, but his touches were so fluid it barely registered he was involved in many passages.

I think of the champions I've seen only Carey matched quality with quantity, rarely fronted up with a shocker (and then really only when he played injured). Maybe Dunstall, although he was more on the boring accumulation side of things, hence him being under-rated.

Just to add re Daicos is probably a little bit of him seeming to pad his stats as well (cheap one two handball chains and sometimes waiting on the outside for the outlet handball) I’m also definitely not saying padding his stats is all he does either and he isn’t absolutely capable of getting his hands dirty either

Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role

A good example would be Trent Cotchin in his early seasons up to about 2015 - 2016 couldn’t deny his talent in the period but ultimately a selfish footballer as well that would happily pad his stats

As he matured as a player/leader that eventually became less of a factor in the way he played with more of a team first and leader mentality looking to bring his teammates into the game instead of trying to do it all on his own

Just to add re Daicos is probably a little bit of him seeming to pad his stats as well (cheap one two handball chains and sometimes waiting on the outside for the outlet handball) I’m also definitely not saying padding his stats is all he does either and he isn’t absolutely capable of getting his hands dirty either

Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role

A good example would be Trent Cotchin in his early seasons up to about 2015 - 2016 couldn’t deny his talent in the period but ultimately a selfish footballer as well that would happily pad his stats

As he matured as a player/leader that eventually became less of a factor in the way he played with more of a team first and leader mentality looking to bring his teammates into the game instead of trying to do it all on his own
Brisbane kick a goal to hit the lead in the GF, Daicos then gets the next centre bounce out to Pendles, runs forward, collects the ball and quick as a flash gives it off to De Goey.

That's not pad stats, that's winning a Grand Final when you're needed to stand up.

Last edited:
Brisbane kick a goal to hit the lead in the GF, Daicos then gets the neck centre bounce out to Pendles, runs forward, collects the ball and quick as a flash gives it off to De Goey.

That's not pad stats, that's winning a Grand Final when you're needed to stand up.
No need to get overly defensive it’s just a general observation I wasn’t saying that he doesn’t impact game like in the example

But it’s a fair criticism to also say he has been prove to look for cheap handballs as well

Both can be true and as he matures as a player the latter will become less prevalent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back