Is Scott Pendulbury the most overated player in Collingwood's history?

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to get overly defensive it’s just a general observation I wasn’t saying that he doesn’t impact game like in the example

But it’s a fair criticism to also say he has been prove to look for cheap handballs as well

Both can be true and as he matures as a player the latter will become less prevalent
It's an observation I see a lot of people see when all they look for is faults in great players, people used to say the same with Ablett.

If he didn't run to get the 1-2 hanball, people would call him lazy.

It's an observation I see a lot of people see when all they look for is faults in great players, people used to say the same with Ablett.

If he didn't run to get the 1-2 hanball, people would call him lazy.
Because Ablett did do it especially when he was a younger player and it’s a fair criticism

In my first post I said most young players do it’s not about looking for faults it’s about looking at where he can improve as a player

No player is perfect and it’s silly to act like they are and improvements can’t be made

Because Ablett did do it especially when he was a younger player and it’s a fair criticism

In my first post I said most young players do it’s not about looking for faults it’s about looking at where he can improve as a player

No player is perfect and it’s silly to act like they are and improvements can’t be made
Ablett did it his whole career, not because he was stat padding, but because he was the best deliverer of the ball, they wanted him with the ball.
But you see that as stat padding, I see it as good coaching.

Ablett did it his whole career, not because he was stat padding, but because he was the best deliverer of the ball, they wanted him with the ball.
But you see that as stat padding, I see it as good coaching.
Fair enough might just need to agree to disagree on this one

The 1-2 handball complaint is the most "old man yells at cloud" thing in football. Might happen a few times a game at most, with the best ball users in the league, and is hardly different to running and taking an early bounce with the ball. The latter might look more aesthetically pleasing but the end result is usually another player has found space and gets hit up with a skilled kick.

It's also one of the easiest ways for a ball carrier to get a block/shepherd.

How many 1-2 handballs have ever backfired? Very few. People act as if it is done to serve the egos of the players. As if coaches would encourage that. Maybe they just work.

I would say he is neither overrated nor underrated. His reputation is exactly where it should be, including the same level respect he receives. The more pertinent question is he the most overrated former junior basketballer to ever play for Collingwood?

No need to get overly defensive it’s just a general observation I wasn’t saying that he doesn’t impact game like in the example

But it’s a fair criticism to also say he has been prove to look for cheap handballs as well

Both can be true and as he matures as a player the latter will become less prevalent
It's a very unintelligent criticism.

I hope he never gets out of the habit. Elite ball user and decision maker. Why The F would any coach NOT want him running for the "cheap handball receive"?
It's a strength. Not a weakness.

Grown AFL fans seriously think players run around with the intention of purely padding their stats and don't care about the game they are playing
Would be a good point if it was what I said

“Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role”
Just to add re Daicos is probably a little bit of him seeming to pad his stats as well (cheap one two handball chains and sometimes waiting on the outside for the outlet handball) I’m also definitely not saying padding his stats is all he does either and he isn’t absolutely capable of getting his hands dirty either

Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role

A good example would be Trent Cotchin in his early seasons up to about 2015 - 2016 couldn’t deny his talent in the period but ultimately a selfish footballer as well that would happily pad his stats

As he matured as a player/leader that eventually became less of a factor in the way he played with more of a team first and leader mentality looking to bring his teammates into the game instead of trying to do it all on his own

Would be a good point if it was what I said

“Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role”
Daicos is a terrible example of that

Daicos is a terrible example of that
In the context of the post I was replying to?

“N Daicos may be better in the future but he also suffers because he accumulates, and disposes so quickly people barely notice his involvement. I felt he was plainly BOG in the grand final, possibly by half time, but his touches were so fluid it barely registered he was involved in many passages.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grown AFL fans seriously think players run around with the intention of purely padding their stats and don't care about the game they are playing
I'm not taking a side one way or the other but I've absolutely heard players talk about getting cheap possies. You can care about the game and look to bump your numbers up. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This is not a good thread.
I'm sure all those games of Kyne you watched enabled this learned opinion of Scott Pendlebury.

IMO Pendlebury is actually underrated somewhat.

Runner up in the 2007 Rising Star and if you asked the masses who ended up the better player between Pendles and the winner most would pick SP10. And that says a lot as Selwood was a absolute champion of the game.
Who would say Pendles was better then Selwood ? Not even a debate imo

Pretty keen for Aristotle to follow Elmer Judd to Valhalla
Was Elmer perma'd?

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

I actually think the most overrated is Mark Ricciuto as yes he has 8 All Australians which is an amazing number but if you actually look at his All Australians he is on the bench for pretty much all of them so he was never in the top 5 or 6 midfielders in the league for his entire career.
You haven't watched much AFL have you?

Yes it does happen, usually to players who are struggling to stay in the 22. Then of course you get big name players moving clubs to win individual awards via stat padding a la Ablett Jnr.

Aristotle was one of the great thinkers in history.

What a shame someone this stupid has chosen to take his name.

Pendlebury one of the greats. Arguably Collingwood’s greatest ever. Not even close to being overrated, let alone the most overrated.

How many games has he played now?

Among those there has been brilliance - many games for sure. He has probably played many more 'good' or 'very good' games though, and so others from time to time get more praise.

But he keeps on keeping on, and what is probably taken for granted is that his contribution provides such a solid base that allows others in the team to build upon that and do something really good. He is really good at bringing his teammates into the game.

Yeah, he's had some s**t games too but who hasn't.

Damn fine player, my one knock which is rough on him because he has no say in it is that he has played 383 games 241 of which are at the MCG. Perhaps he wouldn't have such a great injury history if he traveled more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back