Is Scott Pendulbury the most overated player in Collingwood's history?

Remove this Banner Ad

On Australia Day, can't imagine what would cause that :eyes:
Happy Secret Story GIF by Mediaset España

I wouldnt say Pendles is overrated but Bucks was better.
And Peter Daicos was also better.

No doubt Pendles is one of our best ever players. But anywhere between 4-8 in my opinion. Thats allowing for the players of the past who are considered legends of the club (and so wouldn’t know where they rate).

The 1 criticism I have of him is that he has missed some set shot goals at important times which you would expect the very, very best would kick.

Last edited:

And Peter Daicos was also better as well.

No doubt Pendles is one of our best ever players. But anywhere between 4-8 in my opinion. Thats allowing for the players of the past who are considered legends of the club (and so wouldn’t know where they rate).

The 1 criticism I have of him is that he has missed some set shot goals at important times which you would expect the very, very best would kick.

Peter Daicos was a literal game changer. It's always difficult to rate a full time midfielder to a forward as both are just as pivotal to the outcome of any match.

Daicos had the natural ability to flip a game on it's head through sheer natural brilliance.
Look at the 1990 qualifying final against West Coast. Collingwood don't draw that game if he does not kick the famous boundary line goal from the pocket.
3 goals off a century in season 1990 on route to delivering Collingwood their first premiership in over three decades . . . . enough said.

Pretty good argument Grundy was the most overrated.

I’d put Pendlebury on par with Adam Goodes.
Great player, build a team around them can play at very high level week in week out, starting in any team in the comp and Captain most of them.
But there’s always about 3-5% of the comp that can preform at a higher level.
Will go down as one of Collingwoods best players but probably wouldn’t if he only played 250 games.

Peter Daicos was a literal game changer. It's always difficult to rate a full time midfielder to a forward as both are just as pivotal to the outcome of any match.

Daicos had the natural ability to flip a game on it's head through sheer natural brilliance.
Look at the 1990 qualifying final against West Coast. Collingwood don't draw that game if he does not kick the famous boundary line goal from the pocket.
3 goals off a century in season 1990 on route to delivering Collingwood their first premiership in over three decades . . . . enough said.
Daicos was an absolute gun midfielder for more than the first half of his career. People only seem to remember his later days as a permanent forward for some reason.

Daicos was a midfielder who played forward later in his career. Shows how great he was to then kick 100 goals in a season

Brisbane kick a goal to hit the lead in the GF, Daicos then gets the next centre bounce out to Pendles, runs forward, collects the ball and quick as a flash gives it off to De Goey.

That's not pad stats, that's winning a Grand Final when you're needed to stand up.
It was fantastic play, the handball from Daicos was sublime.

Daicos was an absolute gun midfielder for more than the first half of his career. People only seem to remember his later days as a permanent forward for some reason.

Yes he was.
He still interchanged between midfield and forward opposed to playing as permanent mid.
In many ways, similar to Ablett Snr how he would rotate between half forward, wing and full forward.

Pendles has always played midfield apart from a very brief stint down back a couple of years ago.

Players better than Scott Pendulbury imo.

Jack Regan
Albert Collier (edited in)
Gordon Coventry
Nathan Buckley
Bob Rose
Phonse Kyne
Gavin Brown
Peter Daicos
Nick Daicos (projected)

Great thread AP. :hearteyes:

You left out Syd Coventry, Dick Lee, Ron Todd. Rene Kink was way more colourful. Jerker Jenkins was more watchable, as was Ray Gabelich and Phil Manassa. Ronny Wearmouth more eye-catching. Phil Carman more mercurial, whatever that is.

Pendlebury is basically a taller version of Tony Shaw, gets a lot of the ball because nobody can be bothered tackling him due to a distinct lack of damage.

Very consistent though Scott, I will give him that. Playing 31 finals games as a non-defender without kicking 10 goals, that is his USP right there. Nobody else has ever done that or come close.

For all that though, he is much more over-rated as a captain than as a player. The least successful of Collingwood's last 3 Captains, and let me tell you, that takes some doing at a club that has won 2 Grand Finals in 65 years. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread AP. :hearteyes:

You left out Syd Coventry, Dick Lee, Ron Todd. Rene Kink was way more colourful. Jerker Jenkins was more watchable, as was Ray Gabelich and Phil Manassa. Ronny Wearmouth more eye-catching. Phil Carman more mercurial, whatever that is.

Pendlebury is basically a taller version of Tony Shaw, gets a lot of the ball because nobody can be bothered tackling him due to a distinct lack of damage.

Very consistent though Scott, I will give him that. Playing 31 finals games as a non-defender without kicking 10 goals, that is his USP right there. Nobody else has ever done that or come close.

For all that though, he is much more over-rated as a captain than as a player. The least successful of Collingwood's last 3 Captains, and let me tell you, that takes some doing at a club that has won 2 Grand Finals in 65 years. :)
If you posted on the bay you'd clean sweep all of the end of year awards. campaigner. :$

Just to add re Daicos is probably a little bit of him seeming to pad his stats as well (cheap one two handball chains and sometimes waiting on the outside for the outlet handball) I’m also definitely not saying padding his stats is all he does either and he isn’t absolutely capable of getting his hands dirty either

Probably role related as well as something that a lot of younger players make a habit of when subconsciously they might value individual stats and performance over a team first result and playing a “selfless” role

A good example would be Trent Cotchin in his early seasons up to about 2015 - 2016 couldn’t deny his talent in the period but ultimately a selfish footballer as well that would happily pad his stats

As he matured as a player/leader that eventually became less of a factor in the way he played with more of a team first and leader mentality looking to bring his teammates into the game instead of trying to do it all on his own
The thing about Nick Daicos is that when he has the ball, he always puts the Pies in a better, more attacking position with the way he uses it. He is an absolute weapon even when he kicks out. It’s little wonder opposition coaches put so much work into him with heavy tags etc. Not sure we have ever seen that happen to a 2nd year player.

What is remarkable about Pendlebury is his position in the Copeland. He has finished top 3 in 14 of 17 seasons, and won it 5 times.

Far better player than Brown in the OP list, at least & a deadset superstar anyway

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Definitely ahead of Gavin Brown.
In fact looking at our Team of the Century, Darren Millane is on the wing while Gavin Brown is on the interchange.

Pendlebury will be a definite starter when it’s updated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back