Is the game too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the length of our game. I love the slog it can be between match ups with in the game over a couple of hours.

I dont agree with the call to lessen it

I dont agree with the below but id rather see this than the game time reduced

Extend the benches , lower cap on interchanges?
Even out the rounds to play each other once . Add more byes in , im unsure how this would work either, plus the money the afl wouldnt be against losing by less rounds isnt a logical option either

Id rather see multi ball happen after every fifth goal than see 16 minute quarters

I’d rather merge 2 Vic teams to keep the talent pool viable rather than focus on the length of the game. They also need to drop the sub & expand the bench to a minimum of 6 players.

If players are fatigued, cut back on their preseason. Maybe a week pre Christmas for training camp, but that should be it.

The game is about 20 minutes to long in my opinion. It feels like some quarters drag on more than they used to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

An ideal quarter is between 25 to 28 minutes. Plus take a minute or two off each off the breaks.

I rather scrap gather round. Stick to 22 rounds. But have two byes for each team. One 1/3, and one 2/3 into the season.

Funny people are talking about the injury crisis being due to the season being too long. The issue is, its only round 10. So can't really blame injuries on season length atm. I think its a massive overreaction to the Tigers current issues. Every team has it at some point. Last two years it was the Eagles. Also a few of the injuries happen at training. I normally put down injury crisis to poor fitness management/staff if you have a massive injury list year in and out.

A fair few have been also been contact injuries. If there is a big increase in those, I blame in part the AFL. Making players second guess or half ass it, results in poorer technique when attacking a contest leaving players at a higher injury risk. Unless everyone is getting stress fractures, breaking down at the end of the season or retiring earlier than usual, in which we are not seeing. There is little indication injuries have anything to do with game or season length. Wasn't an issue the last couple of decades. Why now? Media just making a mountain out of nothing per usual. And some coaches are just sooks. Normally call for changes because they know it will benefit their said club more than others.

The game is about 20 minutes to long in my opinion. It feels like some quarters drag on more than they used to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

An ideal quarter is between 25 to 28 minutes. Plus take a minute or two off each off the breaks.
More stoppages in the modern game. The actual playing time is no different to what it was 10, or even 20 years ago really. Its just the constant ball ups, throw ins etc. All adds to the time on.

More stoppages in the modern game. The actual playing time is no different to what it was 10, or even 20 years ago really. Its just the constant ball ups, throw ins etc. All adds to the time on.
Umpires requesting rucks to nominate, umps waiting for rucks to get to the contest and score reviews

18 minutes is the perfect balance. It effectively takes off 15 minutes in total time when you include slightly reducing the breaks. The games are too long, kids especially don't have the attention span and we are the only form of entertainment getting longer, not shorter.

I have this sinking feeling that the AFL is directing the media to push this more and more so if it happens, it will soften the blow.

Shorter quarters = more games = more broadcasting = more revenue = more you know what for the bosses.

Many would agree a source of beauty the sport is how physically demanding it is and the challenge to manage your players throughout the long grueling season. Once again, however, the AFL is pushing the American agenda, they want to run this league like the NBA.
You'd think so but if this was the case why didn't they do it after the 2020 season? Pretty much everyone had accepted that it was going back to at least 18 minutes, but it was a nice surprise when it went back to 20.

Every one of you suggesting reducing game time will be pissing your pants when scoring drops. On the plus side, we'll all get to contribute to a new BF thread, which will be nice.

You'd think so but if this was the case why didn't they do it after the 2020 season? Pretty much everyone had accepted that it was going back to at least 18 minutes, but it was a nice surprise when it went back to 20.

Eddie mentioned gill said in 2020 they definitely won't be going back to 20 min quarters. The only thing I can think is the tv rights holders had a sook about less content. Even the afl must have known at the time 16 was too short and 20 was too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McRae says games are too long I believe him. Sensible bloke, seems to care for players.

We do seem to be getting loads of injuries. With the increased attention to brain injuries well be losing more and more players.

I believe the season is too long, and the fixture has been horribly unbalanced for ages.

If we can have 18 teams and it's economically viable, we should have 17 rounds plus finals.

McRae also says the spectacle didn’t suffer in 2020, which anyone with eyes can see that it did.

18 minutes is the perfect balance. It effectively takes off 15 minutes in total time when you include slightly reducing the breaks. The games are too long, kids especially don't have the attention span and we are the only form of entertainment getting longer, not shorter.

The attention span thing is BS, attendances and interest in the game is fine.

I’ve heard this shorter attention span BS as far back as I can remember. By that logic we should have quarters the length of an average tik tok video.

If we didn't have ridiculous time wasting through dumb score reviews, it wouldn't be an issue. Rather than reducing game time (which is what people actually want to see), why not reduce time on stuff like that (which most agree they overkill it).

One simple optional rule change that I don't think take much away from the game, simplify it, speed it up and someway improve it are:

1. If the ball goes through the goal posts, it's a goal, disregard any light touch/skimmed the post scenarios, if it goes through the goals it's a goal, if it goes through the behind posts it's a behind, if it hits the post and bounces back into play it's a behind/deadball/goal kick. That way you're not reviewing rubbish like did it scrape the post when often times it's clearly inside, so we reduce those score reviews.

Eddie mentioned gill said in 2020 they definitely won't be going back to 20 min quarters. The only thing I can think is the tv rights holders had a sook about less content. Even the afl must have known at the time 16 was too short and 20 was too long.

No it’s that no one outside of some people inside of AFL clubs wants it to be less than 20 minutes.

You can shorten breaks between quarters, increase interchange numbers etc which would be a better compromise.

I remember this debate as far back as 1997 for shorter games.

So it seems the AFLPA want
1. 16 minute quarters
2. Teams play each other only once (17 game season)
3. 2 byes each
4. 90 interchange per game (even with the shorter quarters)

Seems the AFLPA won’t be happy until we have 10 minute quarters without time on, 6 game seasons with one game per month and unlimited interchange.

Is it too long? No.
Can it be shorter without significantly impacting the product? Yes.

If it leads to less injuries, reduces/removes overlap between games and other untold benefits (might actually get something done on the weekends) - then I think it should be considered.

You just need to look at the tv ratings to see how many AFL fans switch off and don't consume whole games compared to other sports/shows (reach v averages differential).

Simply put, anybody with a wife and family that aren't fully into the game would struggle to consume more than 1 full game per weekend with the length of games these days. It's basically the equivalent of watching a full movie and then slapping on a one hour episode of something straight after, without getting up off the couch for 2.5 hours.

Hence why it will forever be a tainted season.
Amateur hour it was.

I'm ok with shortening the season by a couple of rounds but I hope they don't shorten the quarters again.
If you think after going three goals up the game was over I guess it just makes Richmond’s GF comeback from four goals down to a five goal win even more meritorious.

Thanks for confirming.
IMG_0808.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0808.gif
    IMG_0808.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
You just need to look at the tv ratings to see how many AFL fans switch off and don't consume whole games compared to other sports/shows (reach v averages differential).

Simply put, anybody with a wife and family that aren't fully into the game would struggle to consume more than 1 full game per weekend with the length of games these days. It's basically the equivalent of watching a full movie and then slapping on a one hour episode of something straight after, without getting up off the couch for 2.5 hours.

Average American football game goes for 3 hours and 12 minutes from start to finish.

Average NBA game 2.5 hours.

MLB 2 hours 40 minutes.

That is for those apparently super short attention span Americans, AFL match length is fine and comparable to those (average for AFL I am thinking would be about 2 hours 40).

I’d be more wanting to reduce the half time break, quarter break by a minute and time between goals. The score reviews have increased time as well, which they have actively trying to be quicker with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back