Is the game too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

usually the game being too long comes up for discussion because tv needs it to fit into a timeslot. the game is way too long they say... so they tweak something and shave a massive 2-3 minutes off and presto, it's perfect for consumption again before the news comes on.

interesting that the aflpa has reared their head for this one. injuries don't really make sense to me. you can get injured any time during the game. i would have thought it would require rule or format changes to alter that significantly. that, and the players you represent have a habit of knocking out other players.

I assume the players must have some sports science backing on this.
Without that background, the thing that would seem to reduce injury - of certain types at least - is reducing/removing interchange. The game can't be played at the same pace if more of the players are on the field more of the time.

The only reason I would accept a shortened quarter is if they go the route of extra games so everyone played everyone twice.

But that wouldn't be accepted as it completely defeats of the purpose of why they want to make that change.

So to make a long answer short. No.

Play 1 quarter then golden goal if the margin is within 20 points

If it's over 20 points the team leading wins if they can slot a place kick from 30m out

Interesting I noticed last night, I think it was at the start of the second or third quarter, 4 boundary throw ins in a row in the first couple of minutes. That's 1 whole minute there that could be erased if they don't stop the clock. I think this is the solution, don't stop the clock for boundary throw ins, except for time on in close games in the last quarter (something they do now for ball ups anyway at the end of close games).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back