It's time to add new awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should the umpires award be taken away from the umpires?
It shouldn’t be their role, the games to fast for them not to be 100% focused on their job of umpiring the game.

A second All Australian team...

02Aw0N.gif

It sucks that AFL media is full of ****wits, handing the voting for Brownlow to them should be the move but I can’t have whateley, mcclure, Browne voting on this. I guess the status quo is better

yep I reckon they should add Gary Rohan award
Worst player on grand final day

its overdue and disrespectful to not acknowledge champion defenders...ive said it before the AFL is the most unprofessional
run sports corporation on earth

It's a ripping argument. The coaches award has always been decided by the coaches, and the players award has always been decided by the players. Why should the umpires award be any different?
It really isnt

It really isnt
Footy fans simply have to realise that there are more awards out there than the Brownlow and that the Brownlow doesn't decide the best player in the game and never has - it's just one of many awards out there and this one gets the most hype and attention. The Melbourne Cup isn't seen by most racing fans as the best race in Australia, despite having by far the most attention

Not so weird. In reality only forwards win Colemans, and only mids win Brownlows. A defender of the year award would be a good acknowledgment.

AA 2nd team also wouldn’t be a bad idea. I think the team should be picked as though it was to play a real game. That way, it’s not necessarily a problem to push mids to flanks, so long as they would actually be good at that role, ie you wouldn’t pick a pure inside bull as a wing or HFF, but guys who rack up goal assists and hit the scoreboard, like Danger, are perfectly reasonable selections in that role.
We have AA squad. 2nd team not required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't we already award positions through the All Australian selections every year? (I'm aware even this is quite often filled with more midfielders than is necessary).

If anything they should remove existing awards, not add new ones. Brownlow should be voted by the coaches and have a separate award by the players. That's all that's needed.

We have AA squad. 2nd team not required.
On BF we enjoy debates about great players, great teams etc. In a thread comparing ‘dynasties’ recently a lot of posts referred to numbers of AA guernsies, with some posters going to the trouble of looking up AA squad (not team) selections to make their point.

It’s not a cross I’ll die on, but why wouldn’t you bring in an official AA 2nd team, if they already do the work of nominating the bigger squad? It would be easier to look up than AA squad selections when comparing careers etc, and it would create another talking point. Only problem is it would inflate the career achievements of guys who played after it was brought in.

The only good thing about that tweet is the idea of ‘Demons’ being associated with the highest standard of defence in the league.
May is the AA full-back so it makes sense. If you were going for a poster boy for defence, you'd take either the AA FB or CHB (Weitering).

May is the AA full-back so it makes sense. If you were going for a poster boy for defence, you'd take either the AA FB or CHB (Weitering).
I was referring to the sign in the background, but May is deserving. I’d probably have the all time season intercept leader as the poster boy though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back