It’s time to abolish restricted free agency compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what the solution is, but Pick 3 for Ben McKay is surely the death knell for the current FA model. It's just too outrageous.

Utterly ridiculous and shows the AFL is just another corrupt organisation.

The formula they use to determine what the compensation levels are have been kept under lock & key which add further to the myth, intrigue & overall ire.

If Ben McKay is worth #3 after playing just 70-odd games, that ranks right up there with what Melbourne got for Frawley when he went to the Hawks.

I hope like hell the other clubs complain in unison, something has to be done to rectify this farce.

As you'd expect, the only people happy with a decision like this are the recipients, in this case North supporters.

Last edited:
Errrr, what?

Pick 3 for Ben McKay tells me that there are people at North on their knees doing the gobble gobble for certain people at AFL House.

It's an absolutely disgraceful abuse of AFL power.

How so? It's pretty in keeping with all the other compo handed out this year.

It's all a big North conspiracy lmfao

Utterly ridiculous and shows the AFL is just another corrupt organisation.

The formula they use to determine what the compensation levels are have been kept under lock & key which add further to the myth, intrigue & overall ire.

If Ben McKay is worth #3 after playing just 70-odd games, that ranks right up there with what Melbourne got for Frawley when he went to the Hawks.

I hope like hell the other clubs complain in unison, something has to be done to rectify this farce.

As you'd expect, the only people happy with a decision like this are the recipients, in this case North supporters.

It's designed to favour clubs at the bottom of the ladder.

Have a sook.

I'm not having a sook.

North has been prostituting itself for decades now. It's not drawing a very long bow to suggest that you might be whoring yourselves yet again for a handout.

Tin rattlers.

I'm not having a sook.

North has been prostituting itself for decades now. It's not drawing a very long bow to suggest that you might be whoring yourselves yet again for a handout.

Tin rattlers.

The irony of a Hawthorn supporter posting this.

The irony of a Hawthorn supporter posting this.

How so?

I mean seriously pick 3 for Ben McKay....that's a joke and you know it. He's not Ben Cousins or Ben Hart...he's Ben McKay.

You've gamed the system and well done to you.

How so?

I mean seriously pick 3 for Ben McKay....that's a joke and you know it. He's not Ben Cousins or Ben Hart...he's Ben McKay.

You've gamed the system and well done to you.

How is that North's fault? Shouldn't you be mad at Essendon, Sydney, and Hawthorn who all made big money offers to McKay and drove his price up?

Would either club consider trading McKay for pick 3? Not in a million years. As well as 16 other clubs getting punished as a result of North deciding not to match a contract offer.

System is clearly broken. At best it should be there to cushion the impact of a team losing a free agent, not to have them actively wish for it to occur. No more first round compo picks (ideally no more compo picks at all, but that's more going to happen in the short term).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole system needs a complete overhaul. Initially the AFL told clubs to stop complaining about compensation being 'Unders' for players, it wasn't meant to be a 'fair' trade but SOME compensation for the loss of players. Now teams are getting MASSIVE 'Overs' for players (#3 for McKay is bs, esp if the reported contact is still under $800k (It should be at least 900-950K/year imo)). It looks like the banding requirements hasn't changed despite wages increasing through new CBA's)

The biggest issue is with teams manufacturing situations where bands are being triggered for sub-standard players, knowing that they are giving up nothing more than salary cap space. It is instead the rest of the league which pay for any compensation generated for a player by moving down the draft orders. So how do I think should happen?

1) Unrestricted FA compensation picks should be restricted to the current Bands 2-5 (Very few Unrestricted FA players would ever trigger a Band 2 compensation pick)

2) Restricted FA shouldn't see the team getting a player gets them for free, and instead they should have to 'pay' for the player using picks much like what occurs for F/S or Academy selections.

How would this work?

a) The team getting the player negotiates a contract which sets the value of the player
b) The team losing the player then gets to match the contact or lose the player
c) The team getting the player then needs to provide the picks to cover the cost of the player, with AT LEAST half of the value required in the compensations required to come from a single selection while the rest can come from lower selections.

I would have it so there is a 20% reduction in the 'cost' of the player, which is, in part, the primary benefit of Free Agency over a trade

So in the current situation with McKay, the EFC would set the price of the compensation according to the contract being offered. North can then match the contract or lose him through free agency. It would then be the EFC who are responsible for acquiring enough picks of enough value to then satisfy the compensation for North.

What would this ultimately achieve. For starters, the draft itself is UNALTERED by FA compensation, which is a huge win IMO. I can also guarantee you that the EFC would NOT be offering McKay enough to trigger Band 1 compensation if they had to provide the compensation, it would be Band 2 at best, so the amount of points required to acquire him would be set at the value of Selection 19 for a f/s selection. This would mean that North would need to be provided an early 2nd rd selection plus change to make up the points difference, so the compensation value would be MUCH closer to his actual trade value but still 'unders' compared to his actual trade value. IF a star player is lost then Band 1 compensation can still be triggered, with the value for trading for a player from a low ladder club still being higher than that of a highers ladder club, so there is a disincentive in trying to poach players from lower clubs. This would mean that a 1st rd pick would need to be involved in the compensation for star players (Majority of points need to come from a single selection) so teams trying to get star players from low clubs would need to have significant resources to acquire them (not just a free swing with some salary cap). It would also mean you won't have situations where strong clubs are continuously poaching players from lower clubs because they wont have the resources to do it year-after-year.

North fans would rightly be happy. They benefited off a terrible system, and power to them I guess.

Landing pick 3 for Ben McKay is like landing Gal Gadot in a blind date.

This manipulation of the system needs to stop (free agency compo). If you are bottom 3 for 3 years plus (inclusive of year 3) you get an end of first round pick, 19. This continues until your ladder position improves and you are no longer in contention, for pick 19. It's simple, transparent and not open to blatant corruption of the competition.

It also means the respective club needs to make some effort on its own behalf to improve.

This manipulation of the system needs to stop (free agency compo). If you are bottom 3 for 3 years plus (inclusive of year 3) you get an end of first round pick, 19. This continues until your ladder position improves and you are no longer in contention, for pick 19. It's simple, transparent and not open to blatant corruption of the competition.

It also means the club still need to make some effort on its own behalf to improve.
See, I doubt anybody could possibly complain about that. AFL doesn't like transparency though. They don't get to meddle like they did with McKay.

It's not. The system is broken, North are just the beneficiaries on this occasion, as are Adelaide with Doedee.
Well can you please explain that to the offended losers that are abusing North and our supporters for the action of the AFL.

We did not design the system, and we operate under the same conditions as everyone else.

Go whine to AFL house if you have a problem.

Errrr, what?

Pick 3 for Ben McKay tells me that there are people at North on their knees doing the gobble gobble for certain people at AFL House.

It's an absolutely disgraceful abuse of AFL power.
Its the *en rules you peanut.

A simple solution is to stop rewarding Clubs who do not run their houses properly.

The Dees received priority picks under the old system and turned them in to a pile of nothing (apologies to Trengove) and our recruiting team and coach Mark Neeld were simply not up to the job of drafting and coaching footballers.

In the case of North, JHF was gone after one year because North mismanaged everything about him, hired the wrong coach in Noble and recruiting manager in Glenn Luff. North deserved one last year but somehow its morphed into 4 despite North being better placed now than 12 months ago and with a quality coach.

Under the old rules priority draft picks were harder to come by, Brisbane got one, Crows and St Kilda got none and Carlton got nothing more than a couple of state league players. Gold Coast got a stupid amount, some help was fine to make up for their constant list errors but the AFL gave them a truckload due to the AFL’s own and Suns ongoing incompetence.

And we think this competition has integrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back